BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > Opting out of Rose Bowl
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-27-2021, 07:37 PM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
6368
Rep
3,194
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Opting out of Rose Bowl

What do you think?


Several of Ohio State's best players are moving on to the next level.

OSU coach Ryan Day told reporters Monday that receivers Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave, offensive tackle Nicholas Petit-Frere and defensive lineman Haskell Garrett are declaring for the NFL draft and will not play in the Rose Bowl against Utah on New Year’s Day.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #2
kscarrol
Brigadier General
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
6118
Rep
3,901
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (0)

It happens and I understand it. The players recognize their future is in the NFL and a major injury at the Rose Bowl could endanger/end that. Purely a business decision.
__________________
2021 X3 M40i
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 1
M_Six9729.50
      12-27-2021, 11:10 PM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
9730
Rep
7,103
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
It happens and I understand it. The players recognize their future is in the NFL and a major injury at the Rose Bowl could endanger/end that. Purely a business decision.
This. Show me the money (and I'll follow).
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 08:09 AM   #4
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
2785
Rep
9,525
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

It's fine and while I may not have appreciated it when I was a player I think players today understand.
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 11:14 AM   #5
VAcurler
Private First Class
95
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: 21 F23 M240i MT + 09 e90 328i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Had this argument yesterday with some college buddies. Two of us are all for it - the kids going pro are essentially on an apprenticeship and someone is offering them a full time job so they are taking it. The other guys are on the "you are screwing your teammates and coaches" by not playing fence.
This all started because ONE guy got hurt badly in a bowl game and his draft position dropped a ton. The statistics don't support sitting out in fear of injury but the statistics don't support committing to being a pro football player at age 16 either.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet2784.50
      12-31-2021, 07:53 PM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
RickFLM4's Avatar
United_States
7910
Rep
4,449
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: PB County, FL

iTrader: (0)

I get sitting out a minor bowl, and understand the logic overall, but hate to see players sit out NY6 bowls. You'd think playing in the Rose Bowl with your teammates would be something to remember forever. Why the bowl game but not the conference championship game, or the last game of the season? Are those next?

The solution should be to offer them insurance, and I think some have insurance. But it seems to happen more with each passing year. Similarly, the money from NIL deals was supposed to help avoid having players go pro for money before they were ready, but I expect a lot of kids will still declare to go pro and sit undrafted every year.
__________________
Current: 2018 SO/SS F83 ZCP
Gone: 2015 SO/SO F82
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:32 AM   #7
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
3467
Rep
2,222
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

everytime i see someone complaining about a player sitting out a bowl game, I point them to Jaylon Smith. Was arguably a guaranteed top 10 pick, if not a top 5 and had a devastating injury in the Fiesta Bowl that knocked him to the 2nd round and very likely contributed to him basically being out of the NFL, or at the very least now being no more than a backup role player, after 5 seasons
__________________
@drunkcowatches on ig

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:45 AM   #8
sygazelle
Brigadier General
6368
Rep
3,194
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
everytime i see someone complaining about a player sitting out a bowl game, I point them to Jaylon Smith. Was arguably a guaranteed top 10 pick, if not a top 5 and had a devastating injury in the Fiesta Bowl that knocked him to the 2nd round and very likely contributed to him basically being out of the NFL, or at the very least now being no more than a backup role player, after 5 seasons
Maybe college players should sit out every game for fear of getting injured.

Look, it's these teams' goal to make it to a major bowl game. When a player decides to sit it out he's not thinking of the team ahead of himself. I guess that's good training for being in the NFL.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 01:14 PM   #9
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
3467
Rep
2,222
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Maybe college players should sit out every game for fear of getting injured.

Look, it's these teams' goal to make it to a major bowl game. When a player decides to sit it out he's not thinking of the team ahead of himself. I guess that's good training for being in the NFL.
its the teams' goal to make the CFP.

if coaches dont care about bowl games and swap teams before them, what's it matter if a player looks out for themself as well?

playing the regular season is what gets you drafted. its very rarely that a bowl game has a positive affect on a player's draft stock
__________________
@drunkcowatches on ig

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
sygazelle6368.00
      01-19-2022, 03:28 PM   #10
G3min1
Curious Gooner
United_States
101
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 135i M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
If I've worked hard for the chance to become a millionaire overnight (Every Round 1 Pick salary over $10 mil) I'm definitely not risking it for a bowl game. I'd declare for the draft and sit my happy tail at home awaiting payday.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:18 PM   #11
sygazelle
Brigadier General
6368
Rep
3,194
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3min1 View Post
If I've worked hard for the chance to become a millionaire overnight (Every Round 1 Pick salary over $10 mil) I'm definitely not risking it for a bowl game. I'd declare for draft and sit my happy tail at home awaiting payday.
I can't disagree with your logic. But, its also the reason I'm not a big fan of pro sports anymore. Either I've gotten older and my brain has turned to mush, or sports has gotten increasingly more about the player and less about the team.
I get it, but I don't have to like it.

Now, the category of pro sports now includes college football.
Appreciate 1
lakefront375.50
      02-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #12
G3min1
Curious Gooner
United_States
101
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 135i M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I can't disagree with your logic. But, its also the reason I'm not a big fan of pro sports anymore. Either I've gotten older and my brain has turned to mush, or sports has gotten increasingly more about the player and less about the team.
I get it, but I don't have to like it.

Now, the category of pro sports now includes college football.
I agree with you that it's definitely about the player now more so than ever. But its only because of the amount of influence, money, fame, and prestige that comes with playing a sport nowadays.

The way I see it is children/kids (Ages < 18) play sports that are about the team because it teaches you teamwork, and most kids also love to play with their friends that they see everyday. Also about 99% of them aren't going to play after HS anyways so its not an investment. (Yes there are exceptions to this with child prodigies)

Adults (Ages >18) play sports for the money because the odds of them going pro are substantially higher due to them already being in that 1%. Its a career choice at that point.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST