BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Travel destination(s) for big 3-5?

09-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #23
Merlin_83
Merlin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 6MT w/ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
My 35th is coming up in 2 months and I wanted to start thinking about it. Was gonna go to Croatia this coming Sunday but decided to do a trip in October instead. I know we’re in a pandemic and many destinations are blocked off to US travelers. Hoping that October brings more openings. Would like to get some suggestions.

I like culture, food, wine, nature, and some activities. Not into the whole partying scene. I took a few months and traveled the world when I turned 30 and would like to do continue the same “tradition” and do a trip for a few weeks.

For my 30th - I took my then-girlfriend (now wife) to Maui and we went Marlin fishing in the Hawaiin Channel, it was so great! I would recommend this. We chartered a large fishing boat to take us out, and when we could no longer see land the ocean was dark blue and a bit scary. But fishing was awesome! Hooked up with a large Marlin, it got off the line. Then we ran through a school of Mahi-Mahi and caught 10+ all over 30lbs.

Whatever you do - go BIG !

Cheers,
Merlin

2012 E92 M3 ZCP | 2008 E90 335xi | 2008 E90 335i |
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 09:55 AM   #24
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I like the road trip idea. Keep it within the U.S. to avoid the possibility of getting stuck out of the country. I used to take solo road trips when I was younger, anything from a weekend to a couple of weeks. Work doesn't really allow that anymore, but I sure would love to be able to just take a few weeks and head out with no real destination in mind. While it may get a little boring at certain times, I think it'd also be a good time to unwind and just forget all the bullshit that's going on. Obviously avoid cities on fire.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #25
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Normally I spend about 30-40% of my time with work in Thailand, plan was for my wife to come over and go to Vietnam for a few weeks (I am in SE Asia anyway so cost gets cut in half). Will go when issues are over.

If you plan to go regardless of Covid, first thing to do is figure out who lets you go and what is required. Much of the world is out of the question so no point in considering them.
      09-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #26
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Normally I spend about 30-40% of my time with work in Thailand, plan was for my wife to come over and go to Vietnam for a few weeks (I am in SE Asia anyway so cost gets cut in half). Will go when issues are over.

If you plan to go regardless of Covid, first thing to do is figure out who lets you go and what is required. Much of the world is out of the question so no point in considering them.
Vietnam is open to tourists. A good amount of countries are now open with some not requiring a test. Right now it looks like Turkey and Croatia are my best bet for October. Weather still pleasant and dry. Croatia requires test within 48 hours so I can do that in US before flying there or go to Turkey first and then get tested there before flying to Croatia for the rest of the time. Turkish Airlines seem legit too.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #27
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Wife is Croatian, virus has expanded since they opened to tourists and they are talking shut down again. You risk getting there and being locked in.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #28
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Vietnam is open to tourists. A good amount of countries are now open with some not requiring a test. Right now it looks like Turkey and Croatia are my best bet for October. Weather still pleasant and dry. Croatia requires test within 48 hours so I can do that in US before flying there or go to Turkey first and then get tested there before flying to Croatia for the rest of the time. Turkish Airlines seem legit too.
Mine has to be part of work in Thailand (closed) so I can get there close to free.

Vietnam sounds like a problem waiting to happen. If someone on your flight tests posisitive everyone has an issue and not sure what "centralized quarantine" means.
Quote:
Travelers entering Vietnam, including Vietnamese nationals, have been subjected to mandatory, centralized quarantine for 14 days. This quarantine requirement has in some cases been prolonged to more than 14 days when deemed necessary by the authorities.
https://vn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...20authorities.

If Croatia requires a test 48 hours of your arrival time, where can you get both a test and the results in the U.S. within 48 hours of your arrival time in Croatia (before you get on the flight)? This give you maybe 36 hours before your flight out to get a test and result? I looked into it and it seems everywhere says you will get results within a few days then you run the risk of getting on a flight (if they let you) without your results and getting stuck in immigration? Seems like a big risk.

Last edited by David70; 09-01-2020 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #29
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Wife is Croatian, virus has expanded since they opened to tourists and they are talking shut down again. You risk getting there and being locked in.
This is the biggest thing. But can always reschedule flight if it does.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #30
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

^Thats what I meant by keep it in the U.S. Just because certain countries have certain guidelines right now, you never know what will flare up and change while you're abroad. Sure would suck to get stuck somewhere for who knows how long.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #31
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine has to be part of work in Thailand (closed) so I can get there for 95% for free.

Vietnam sounds like a problem waiting to happen. If someone on your flight tests posisitive everyone has an issue and not sure what "centralized quarantine" means.
https://vn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...20authorities.

If Croatia requires a test 48 hours of your arrival time, where can you get both a test and the results in the U.S. within 48 hours of your arrival time in Croatia (before you get on the flight)? This give you maybe 36 hours before your flight out to get a test and result? I looked into it and it seems everywhere says you will get results within a few days then you run the risk of getting on a flight (if they let you) without your results and getting stuck in immigration? Seems like a big risk.
Many places around here give you results in a day or two. It’s pretty fast. Brother got tested a month ago and got results the next day. If it’s a location where they can run the results onsite it is much faster vs sending to lab.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #32
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Haha, I didn't realize that 35 was some special birthday number. What's the rule - divisible by 5? I'll just compensate the next several birthdays for all the big numbers I've missed.
Appreciate 1
Alfisti6452.50
      09-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #33
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
Haha, I didn't realize that 35 was some special birthday number. What's the rule - divisible by 5? I'll just compensate the next several birthdays for all the big numbers I've missed.
I think every 5-10 years is pretty special. The older you get it’s more like every 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #34
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
I think every 5-10 years is pretty special. The older you get it’s more like every 10 years.
Shouldn't it be the opposite? The older you get the more special each one gets? I mean seems to me going from 90 to 91 is waaaaay more of an accomplishment than going from 20 to 30 no?

If you stay in the US you could rent an RV. For us it's the best way to travel and now you don't have to deal with things being closed as much. All the national parks are open as far as I know and you can get an annual pass for like $80 gets you into all the parks.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 01:58 PM   #35
Denis S
Enlisted Member
Russia
Rep
Drives: X3

First of all, I will go to Italy (for business), more precisely - I would go now, but for now, there are restrictions, then to Korea. With my family, I would first of all go to China - until it started again ))
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #36
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Traveling is the thing I miss the most during the whole Covid circus.

We were going to Exuma for my 40th & our flight got cancelled 12 hours before we left. We had planned to go to USVI & they are closing again. As long as you're flexible & up for a challenge then give it a shot. I found out a lot about restrictions by using the Trip Advisor forums.

Let us know what you decide!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #37
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Shouldn't it be the opposite? The older you get the more special each one gets? I mean seems to me going from 90 to 91 is waaaaay more of an accomplishment than going from 20 to 30 no?

If you stay in the US you could rent an RV. For us it's the best way to travel and now you don't have to deal with things being closed as much. All the national parks are open as far as I know and you can get an annual pass for like $80 gets you into all the parks.
Yeah, you’re probably right. I think in general 10 years is more significant but I like every 5 as well, still a long time as a step.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 08:03 PM   #38
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Traveling is the thing I miss the most during the whole Covid circus.

We were going to Exuma for my 40th & our flight got cancelled 12 hours before we left. We had planned to go to USVI & they are closing again. As long as you're flexible & up for a challenge then give it a shot. I found out a lot about restrictions by using the Trip Advisor forums.

Let us know what you decide!
Okay I think Turkey and Croatia are the best bet. Haven’t been to either so would add in a few new countries.

Question for folks that have been to either, or both: how would you split the time? With 21 days, would you do do 50/50 with half a day for traveling from Croatia to Turkey or would you spend more time at one vs the other? I plan on only staying in the Zagreb area, visiting Split, the waterfalls, and perhaps Dalmation Islands. Dubrovnik is too far so will save that for next trip. I want this to be a chill trip and take in the cultures.

Also, any recommendations for hotels would be great! Need to have good wifi, comfy bed, and nice views.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #39
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay I think Turkey and Croatia are the best bet. Haven’t been to either so would add in a few new countries.

Question for folks that have been to either, or both: how would you split the time? With 21 days, would you do do 50/50 with half a day for traveling from Croatia to Turkey or would you spend more time at one vs the other? I plan on only staying in the Zagreb area, visiting Split, the waterfalls, and perhaps Dalmation Islands. Dubrovnik is too far so will save that for next trip. I want this to be a chill trip and take in the cultures.

Also, any recommendations for hotels would be great! Need to have good wifi, comfy bed, and nice views.
My wife and I went to Croatia/Montenegro, flew into Zagreb and out of Dubrovnik. I thought a day or two in Zagreb was enough, falls were great but wouldn't want to be there for more than two days (maybe 2.5 depending on where you stay). Enjoyed Split. We rented a car and drove everything. If we did it again we wouldn't have spent more than a day in Zagreb and thought Dubrovnik and Montenegro were definitely worth going to, maybe would have left Zagreb off completely.

When buying flights we found it cheaper to buy two separate tickets, one to a major city in Europe (our case Paris) and a separate ticket from this major city in Europe to Croatia (on Croatian Air but other options also). Buying a round trip from Cincinnati to Croatia ends up with few options and very expensive.

I do the same when I go to Thailand, always a major U.S. city to somewhere in China/Seoul then to Bangkok and then another ticket from Cincinnati to the major U.S. city. The major U.S. city to Asia has me on Korean Air or China Eastern where Cincinnati to Bangkok would have only U.S. carrier ticket options (still likely to end up on Korean or China Eastern as they are Delta partners).
      09-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #40
B Watts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I've never been but have been wanting to go to Banff. Some of the pictures are breathtaking, especially pictures of Lake Louise.

I've had a couple co workers go before and they were absolutely amazed. Awesome hiking, awesome scenery. Give a quick look into https://www.banfflakelouise.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #41
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Seriously, dude, croatia? Are you even allowed in? They have a list of countries they are accepting and I am absolutely telling you, they could shut the place any day now.

This is why the virus spreads, sit tight man.

Now, when you do go, it is utterly brilliant but overcrowded and I am happy to offer itinerary and hidden gems, i know the place well.

Last edited by Alfisti; 09-02-2020 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #42
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Seriously, dude, croatia? Are you even allowed in? They have a list of countries they are accepting and I am absolutely telling you, they could shut the place any day now.

I agree! You are better off sitting tight and making sure you keep your phone nearby at all times.
Appreciate 1
smyles1012.00
      09-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #43
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Okay I think Turkey and Croatia are the best bet. Haven't been to either so would add in a few new countries.

My wife and I went to Croatia/Montenegro, flew into Zagreb and out of Dubrovnik. I thought a day or two in Zagreb was enough, falls were great but wouldn't want to be there for more than two days (maybe 2.5 depending on where you stay). Enjoyed Split. We rented a car and drove everything. If we did it again we wouldn't have spent more than a day in Zagreb and thought Dubrovnik and Montenegro were definitely worth going to, maybe would have left Zagreb off completely.

When buying flights we found it cheaper to buy two separate tickets, one to a major city in Europe (our case Paris) and a separate ticket from this major city in Europe to Croatia (on Croatian Air but other options also). Buying a round trip from Cincinnati to Croatia ends up with few options and very expensive.

I do the same when I go to Thailand, always a major U.S. city to somewhere in China/Seoul then to Bangkok and then another ticket from Cincinnati to the major U.S. city. The major U.S. city to Asia has me on Korean Air or China Eastern where Cincinnati to Bangkok would have only U.S. carrier ticket options (still likely to end up on Korean or China Eastern as they are Delta partners).
Last year there was a big sale for flights to pretty much anywhere in Europe and Africa. You could fly into one airport and out the other and it was cheap. Normally they limit you to flying in and out of the same airport. It was between Greece and Turkey, Slovenia and Croatia, or Morocco and Portugal, and I went with # 3. Was awesome.

I would do the same now except that with the pandemic, lots of flights are not available (ie airlines don't fly to as many destinations). Also, the ability to enter a country, go through customs, come back into the airport for another flight is in question as not al countries are open. Hence it's not preferable.

Quote:

Now, when you do go, it is utterly brilliant but overcrowded and I am happy to offer itinerary and hidden gems, i know the place well.
Mind listing those places anyway? I don't think it'll be crowded right now since it's offseason and not a ton of people are traveling. I'm evaluating options right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #44
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

How long you got there? Who are you travelling with? Kids? Blokes? Women?
Appreciate 0