BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Upgraded Halogen Dipped Bulbs And Sidelights
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #45
logiclee
Private First Class
12
Rep
188
Posts

Drives: BMW 116i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Notts, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF20MJC View Post
Hi there can you post the exact items and links you purchased please. Looking forward to this challenge!!!
This thread may help.

http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ight=headlight

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #46
nigelb
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: F20 118i Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for all this great information - I followed the link put up by logiclee and have ordered a full set of replacement bulbs - hopefully this will go some way to improving the current OEM headlights.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #47
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
11
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: F20 120d MSport ValenciaOrange
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North East, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelb View Post
Thanks for all this great information - I followed the link put up by logiclee and have ordered a full set of replacement bulbs - hopefully this will go some way to improving the current OEM headlights.

Thanks
Please keep us posted, I too am really keen to do this. Does anyone know if the non-led set (links by logiclee) improve the throw and brightness of the headlights? I find that on a dark country road they dont stretch far enough ahead... im not too bothered about how they look on the car (ie the colour) as the oem bulbs are ok i guess, not perfect tho!

any info on this would be greatly appreaciated
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #48
BMWF20MJC
Enlisted Member
BMWF20MJC's Avatar
6
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: BMW 116i Sport Red.
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bristol

iTrader: (0)

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF20MJC View Post
Hi there can you post the exact items and links you purchased please. Looking forward to this challenge!!!
This thread may help.

http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ight=headlight

Cheers
Lee
Thank you . Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #49
nigelb
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: F20 118i Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
Please keep us posted, I too am really keen to do this. Does anyone know if the non-led set (links by logiclee) improve the throw and brightness of the headlights? I find that on a dark country road they dont stretch far enough ahead... im not too bothered about how they look on the car (ie the colour) as the oem bulbs are ok i guess, not perfect tho!

any info on this would be greatly appreaciated
Well I can confirm, the Osram Nightbreaker H7 bulbs are a definite improvement over the BMW Performance Bulbs I paid over 35 for. The rest of the bulbs - well they definitely improve the 'appearance' of the light emitted and provide a 'whiter' light. The DRL's are notable in this area.

I am not sure about the use of the Japanese Bulbs 55w H7 as my Main Beam unit, whilst they do produce a nice white light, I am not convinced of they are any better than standard.

Perhaps they just look sub-optimal compared to the Osram Nightbreaker Plus.

Strangely, the Osram, whilst being a definite improvement, still have a slightly yellow look to them to look at head-on - but they do deliver a very generous amount of light.

All the best and thanks for posting the details - I am a happy customer. All in only about 40 to change all the bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #50
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
203
Rep
3,149
Posts

Drives: F20 LCI 118i M-Sport B38
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Notice that white light has some disadvantages compared to yellow. It works well with seeing things in the correct color and lighting up reflective materials, but the penetration in wet weather is not good. You also get less contrast, particularly in snowy conditions. The difference is easy to notice in fog. You can see further ahead with yellow lights, while the white light is mostly illuminating the fog right in front of the car, blinding the driver.

It is not a coincidence that many endurance race cars running at night use yellow lights.

If the light output was the same, I would take a yellowish bulb over a superwhite one.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #51
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
11
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: F20 120d MSport ValenciaOrange
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North East, UK

iTrader: (0)

thanks nigelb and ovekvam. Possible stupid question here then: how come logiclee's shopping list post uses different bulbs for the dipped and main, especially since they are both H7? Is there any reason why i shouldnt just buy two sets of the NightBreaker+ bulbs? As i said in my previous post, im looking for the largest throw of light possible and not bothered entirely on aesthetics.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #52
logiclee
Private First Class
12
Rep
188
Posts

Drives: BMW 116i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Notts, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
thanks nigelb and ovekvam. Possible stupid question here then: how come logiclee's shopping list post uses different bulbs for the dipped and main, especially since they are both H7? Is there any reason why i shouldnt just buy two sets of the NightBreaker+ bulbs? As i said in my previous post, im looking for the largest throw of light possible and not bothered entirely on aesthetics.

Thanks!!
If you want the best output then yes go for Nightbreakers in the dipped and main beam units.

The Superwhites are purely a styling choice, I think they are slightly better than the standard bulbs but not as much light as the Nightbreakers.
I fitted them to match the side lights and drl's etc.

I have Nightbreakers fitted to dipped and main beam on my Passat that I use for commuting. Dipped on the Passat is also poor with standard bulbs but the main beam is like a 6 light rally pod compared to the weedy main beam on the f20/21.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #53
GBR1
Lieutenant
132
Rep
452
Posts

Drives: 330d X Drive M Sport F31
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
I have Nightbreakers fitted to dipped and main beam on my Passat that I use for commuting. Dipped on the Passat is also poor with standard bulbs but the main beam is like a 6 light rally pod compared to the weedy main beam on the f20/21.

Cheers
Lee
I have the same set up now, the lights (for all their complaint about how big they are etc) are rubbish. I brought my other half a Smart Car (she only drives around town really) and the lights on that are way better than the BMW..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #54
Gras
Private First Class
Greece
5
Rep
118
Posts

Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Athens

iTrader: (0)

XTEC led DRL & Parking lights fitted..
Attached Images
    
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #55
frashed
Private
Australia
4
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: F20 125i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gras View Post
XTEC led DRL & Parking lights fitted..
Oraia.

Any 'bulb out' issues with the LED?
__________________
Alpine White 125i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #56
Gras
Private First Class
Greece
5
Rep
118
Posts

Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Athens

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frashed View Post
Oraia.

Any 'bulb out' issues with the LED?
I got a warning yesterday when i started up the engine, but then after a few seconds was gone by itself. I checked the vehicle status and there was nothing written there also. I guess sometimes may bring some warnings but really is not an issue.. Only problem, i wish they were a little more bright.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #57
mose999
New Member
mose999's Avatar
Switzerland
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 116i F20
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

day light bulbs

I have just replaced my day lights for white Xenon. All works OK so far, no errors and they are bright white. They do look better than the yellowish standard lights. They are slightly less noticeable in the photo because of course they are the same colour as the background lamp holder.

I bought mine here, but Xenon 21W white bulb can be found in other outfits.
http://www.ledperf.co.uk/pack-daytim...20-p-4745.html
Attached Images
  

Last edited by mose999; 01-26-2014 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: added some info
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 12:49 AM   #58
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
1149
Rep
3,790
Posts

Drives: AW M2 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW London

iTrader: (3)

Nightbreaker unlimited

Just fitted NB unlimited h7 to dip and high beam on my wife's VW.

Huge improvement over vw stock bulbs.

Bought some H4 and swapped out bulbs on my motorbike - excellent.
__________________
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten:
AW M2 DCT
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #59
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
matthewcornish's Avatar
United Kingdom
11
Rep
223
Posts

Drives: M135i
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cardiff

iTrader: (0)

Apart from my BMW on which I took the "Visibility package" option, I always get bulbs swapped out for white ones... it looks so much smarter and gives much more visibility. Always find it surprising that brands like BMW don't put these in as standard.

Would swap my front fogs on the BMW but I think I've only used those once since Sept 2012
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #60
rodolphobfa
New Member
2
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: BMW 328i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brasil

iTrader: (0)

Guys, I am having trouble to change de H7 dipped bulbs. I get the bulb out, but cannot change for the new ones. Cant rotate it, it is like it is too stiff. Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #61
AGSantiago
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: BMW 1 Series 116d ED F20
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose999 View Post
I have just replaced my day lights for white Xenon. All works OK so far, no errors and they are bright white. They do look better than the yellowish standard lights. They are slightly less noticeable in the photo because of course they are the same colour as the background lamp holder.

I bought mine here, but Xenon 21W white bulb can be found in other outfits.
http://www.ledperf.co.uk/pack-daytim...20-p-4745.html
Following the link from your post, there are three sets of lights to choose from... do you mind telling me which one is the one on your pictures?? They are really nice!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 03:45 AM   #62
mose999
New Member
mose999's Avatar
Switzerland
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 116i F20
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Lights

Hello AGSantiago, the link above takes you directly to the lights I bought. I include it a gain.

http://www.ledperf.co.uk/pack-daytim...21-p-4745.html
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #63
jonesy001
New Member
United Kingdom
8
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 M Sport Mineral Grey
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Manchester, UK

iTrader: (0)

How did you access your light to replace the DTR's? cheers
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST