BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

BMW 1 Series M Coupe... Now , I believe... Future of 1M (M2) and M Cars

Summary:
  • Next generation 1M (based on F20 1-series) potentially renamed M2 because BMW considering renaming sporty 1-series variants (coupe/cabrio) to 2-series
  • Next 1M (or M2) and next M3 to possibly receive more focused special editions (i.e. track/lightweight special models)
    • Many feel that the M Division has become too focused with luxury and these additional 1M and M3's will set the bar for more focused compact and premium entry sports cars as well as their standard luxury siblings.
  • Next 1M (or M2) to be powered by 4-cylinder
  • Next M3 to be powered by 6-cylinder
  • Next 1M (or M2) could come in more variants - coupe and cabrio
  • M3 production ends in mid-late 2012 meaning no M3's until 2014
    • Possible Z4M or X3M to fill the temporary gap, using upgraded engine from 1M coupe

BMW 1 Series M Coupe...... Now,I believe....

When you look at the 1M Coupe you see actually a very outstanding car initially from the original proposal. Whilst it is true that the budget given to develop this car is actually a tiny fraction of M's Super Sedan the M5's massive budget.
For the amount of money and time they had for the 1M Coupe they have pulled off a masterstroke.

Going into initial proposals you have blank sheet of paper and split into two colulms , one for what you expect for an M car , The other in what to do to make it a great M car.
At the very beginning the proposal involved everything that makes a typical BMW M Coupe. Unfortunately everything that makes a great BMW M Coupe was not attainable due to the low budget. When you take into consideration of crash testing etc. Had the 1M be equipped with a standard carbon fibre roof it would not be heading to the USA as BMW would not have funded extra crash testing.

BMW did not want to fully commit seeing as the car has a relatively short production window. At first not everyone was convinced but now everybody is a believer.

Look at this car now and look at it closely. Because it is what is attainable ,when you have limited resources to work with.
It is also the appetizer , given the response to the car when it was undergoing development. The next generation 1er M Coupe or M2? has been given a much larger development budget so next time round , there is more freedom to progress ideas that could not be attained this time around, because of cost within the next car.

The next 1M (M2 - because BMW are looking at seperating the 1er family especially with the sporty variants such as Roadster , Coupe and Cabrio apart from the 1er expansion with 1er concepts such as GT , F.A.S.T. , CST.)

Will see a more direct response from M Division for more sporting concepts especially for the 1M successor and the next M3. BMW believe that the GTS has proved that there is a market for such concepts in a similar progression as the Porsche 911. Although BMW's would be more straightforward with familiar signatures with the standard car followed by a more track co-ordinated and lightweight special.

Many feel that the M Division has become too focused with luxury and these additional 1M and M3's will set the bar for more focused compact and premium entry sports cars as well as their standard luxury siblings.
The M5 will remain as the perfect synthesis between luxury and performance.

The new engines that will feature for the next 1M and M3 are already in development with the 1er resorting to a four cylinder and the M3 returning to six cylinders. What next for the 1M coupe leaves a few open possibilites.

BMW reckon a Cabrio edition would end E88 production although officially denied , unofficially they have built prototypes which if BMW sell every single unit of the Coupe and Cabrio they get back their return and then some.

The current issue of course is with the M3 which will end production in mid-late 2012 leaving BMW without a competitor in the Premium Entry sports car class , which will feature the Audi RS5 and Mercedes-Benz C-Coupe AMG. Discussion has resorted to considering a fixed roof Z4M or a X3M using the engine featured from the 1M Coupe in an upgraded capacity , to fill in for the M3 , until the next generation car arrives in early 2014. but not the M3's V8 - The V8 will die with the M3.

Last edited by SCOTT26; 12-10-2010 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Going into initial proposals you have blank sheet of paper and split into two colulms , one for what you expect for an M car , The other in what to do to make it a great M car.
At the very beginning the proposal involved everything that makes a typical BMW M Coupe. Unfortunately everything that makes a great BMW M Coupe was not attainable due to the low budget.
Better believe it, this is way of the future. Cheap innovation is a new trend among all industries, pioneered from countries such as China & India, and will continue to be a viable strategy for many companies in the coming years. The ability to deliver good "enough" product while keeping the cost low is necessary in current economic times.

Will the Z4M come with a fixed roof, scott?
      12-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I believe... I think the //M1 is a well done car! Not a total home run in my book, but it is quite good and deserving of the M-brand(ing). Sure... //M could have done a few more M-touches better (hood and csl-like trunk lid & less weight)... but thats the bean counter's call like Scott said.

I don't quite understand WHY BMW must kill off the e92/e93 M3. Why couldn't BMW continue to build the M3 coupes for a year or two along side of the new F30 3er sedan. ??? BMW did that with the e46 when the e90 came out. Why not do the same now?

I also sincerley hope BMW goes with a Z4M and not another SAV M-car. An X3M makes no sense to me! That would send the wrong message to //M-car fans the world over. Lets see how big the "M budget" will be for a Z4M car!?!?

Last edited by Dackelone; 12-12-2010 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Thanks for the additional info.
      12-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

I agree that the 1M seems good given the amount of time they spent putting it together.

Reminds me of an essay at university I wrote the night before it was due. It turned out pretty good given the amount of time I spent on it but no where near as good as it could have been if I had spent some serious time on it. Mostly it turned out to borrow from other sources instead of developing its own identity.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

"The next 1M (M2 - because BMW are looking at seperating the 1er family especially with the sporty variants such as Roadster , Coupe and Cabrio apart from the 1er expansion with 1er concepts such as GT , F.A.S.T. , CST.)"

geesh.....already pushing (teasing?) the next big thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
gstopyra
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
"The next 1M (M2 - because BMW are looking at seperating the 1er family especially with the sporty variants such as Roadster , Coupe and Cabrio apart from the 1er expansion with 1er concepts such as GT , F.A.S.T. , CST.)"

geesh.....already pushing (teasing?) the next big thing.
Wonder how long this next one will be drawn out!?!?

J/K...I applaud BMW for what they did with the 1M and may look at trading in my almost fully loaded 135i for a basic 1M to enjoy...

-Greg
      12-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Yes start the tease on the M2 now , 1 square cm at a time
      12-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
Honestly I hope they go X3M over Z4M if it has to be one of the two, and I had the last Z4M with the S54 engine. I have no interest in a Z4 35is drive with another hp boost even if it has a fixed roof and m3 suspension parts. If I wanted modern 2 seater enjoyment again I would just go back to the last Z4M or another marquee.

Since I decided yesterday at the unveiling that the 1M is not an upgrade from my E46 M3, I will not be purchasing one as I had been planning. I also have no interest in a E92 M3 in its current forum. After many test drives I decided to pass, feeling that it did not bring a more satisfying or pure driving experience than my E46 M3. In addition to the fact that it did not really feel much if any faster to me.

What needs to happen is a last send-off to the high revving philosophy. If it can't come in the form of a V8 Z4M (which I would be all for) then we need to see a final special edition of the E92 M3 that is available in the US. Something catered to the enthusiast like the 1M, not an expensive pure track car like the GTS. Even the E92 GTS has been shown to be barely faster than the E46 CSL, and to provide less satisfying of a driving experience. This coming from the experiences of respected journalists such as Chris Harris from EVO.

What we need is an M3 Club sport type car that is available in 6 speed manual. I know realistically there is not a lot of cheap weight to be taken off a base carbon roof E92 M3. Therefore the main ingredient would probably have to be the GTS engine. That engine alone with a few style cues, manual seats (buckets if possible) and ideally some or all of the brake/suspension/exhaust upgrades of the GTS would be amazing.

Offer the car in a few special colors which is something that has been sorely lacking in the E9X M3 lineup. Have the base price (without all the heavy options that surely a bunch of jokers will add back anyways) around the current price of a well optioned E92 M3 and you would have the ultimate send off to the high revving engine and something that would carry the M torch strongly until the next generation models roll along.

Until then I will be looking strongly at the offerings of other marquees because there is nothing in BMW's lineup that piques my interest.

Last edited by HBspeed; 12-11-2010 at 01:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
Honestly I hope they go X3M over Z4M if it has to be one of the two, and I had the last Z4M with the S54 engine. I have no interest in a Z4 35is drive with another hp boost even if it has a fixed roof and m3 suspension parts. If I wanted modern 2 seater enjoyment again I would just go back to the last Z4M or another marquee.

Since I decided yesterday at the unveiling that the 1M is not an upgrade from my E46 M3, I will not be purchasing one as I had been planning. I also have no interest in a E92 M3 in its current forum. After many test drives I decided to pass, feeling that it did not bring a more satisfying or pure driving experience than my E46 M3. In addition to the fact that it did not really feel much if any faster to me.

What needs to happen is a last send-off to the high revving philosophy. If it can't come in the form of a V8 Z4M (which I would be all for) then we need to see a final special edition of the E92 M3 that is available in the US. Something catered to the enthusiast like the 1M, not an expensive pure track car like the GTS. Even the E92 GTS has been shown to be barely faster than the E46 CSL, and to provide less satisfying of a driving experience. This coming from the experiences of respected journalists such as Chris Harris from EVO.

What we need is an M3 Club sport type car that is available in 6 speed manual. I know realistically there is not a lot of cheap weight to be taken off a base carbon roof E92 M3. Therefore the main ingredient would probably have to be the GTS engine. That engine alone with a few style cues, manual seats (buckets if possible) and ideally some or all of the brake/suspension/exhaust upgrades of the GTS would be amazing.

Offer the car in a few special colors which something that has been sorely lacking in the E9X M3 lineup. Have the base price (without all the heavy options that surely a bunch of jokers will add back anyways) around the current price of a well optioned E92 M3 and you would have the ultimate send off to the high revving engine and something that would carry the M torch strongly until the next generation models roll along.

Until then I will been looking strongly at the offerings of other marquees because there is nothing in BMW's lineup that piques my interest.
I dont know if it was an X3 M or X3 35is, but I chased one with camouflage into the mountains about 30miles from the plant in SC. I was in an E39 M5 with suspension and could not keep up. It would pull on me on the straights all the way through 3rd gear to redline.

T
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
techthentic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, 370z

if they bring back the original z4m coupe's hatch-ness for the new z4m I'm going to have to rethink jumping in on a 1M!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Possible Z4M or X3M to fill the temporary gap
      12-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

i love my v8 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
serali
Serali
Rep
Drives: E92 330

good to know BMW M is not making any great sports car in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #15
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Thanks, Scott, for the info re. future directions for the 1er and M. Considering the limited budget and time, I do think the 1M looks great and, I trust, will be a great ride. Since my MY2010 135i is still a joy to drive, I'll be holding out for the next gen of 1 or 2M! ...I think!
      12-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #16
Bob86GN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 F93 M8

"The V8 will die with the M3"

Could they stop saying that already, I hate how that sounds.
1986 Buick Grand National (10.8 @ 122mph)
1987 Buick Grand National (stockish)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #17
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86GN View Post

Agreed. I awaiting delivery of my first M, and I love that it's a v8 and has all the bells and whistles.

I had a WRX for the last 8 years. I don't want another turbo with a coffee can exhaust, stripped for the track.. I want have cake and eat it too!! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #18
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post

Amen to that. I'd still like to have that pristine 2004-06 M3 6mt coupe some day. It's getting a bit dated and getting hard to find one that hasn't been abused or neglected, but there's still something so right about that chassis and engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #19
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Awesome incite Scott. It is always appreciated among us!!

I idolize BMW for their constant innovation. What other car brand materializes enthusiast's desires as quickly and as frequently as BMW's M has? Its quite remarkable.

I have yet to drive the 1M, but from what I can see, it is a home run given the company's circumstances.

I look forward to being a life long enthusiast of the brand and am eager/excited to see future concepts and ideas evolve into reality. Its looking bright!!

Nobody does it like BMW

Bravo

As to those who oppose innovation and progression... Come to the realization that things are always going to be tweaked and changed.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #20
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
[*]Many feel that the M Division has become too focused with luxury and these additional 1M and M3's will set the bar for more focused compact and premium entry sports cars as well as their standard luxury siblings.
BMW listens to its enthusiasts.
A fact I am believing with the 1M being manual only, no-moonroof only

I like what I am hearing
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #21
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86GN View Post

He does have a flair for melodrama at times.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
moog55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

not interested in a four-banger M1/M2 and still extremely disappointed that the V8 in the M3 marks the end of an era. i will probably keep my current M3 when the next gen version arrives in 2014 rather than trading it in.
Appreciate 0