BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

04-13-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

NEW 2019 BMW (F40) 1 Series Hatch LEAKED

Appreciate 1
DZ F30300.50
      04-15-2019, 12:53 AM   #2
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

the new 1 series SUV looks lovely

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 04:23 AM   #3
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

It's not bad, but having owned both the E87 and F20....it's a changing that I cannot accept. I understand why they made it....but it doesn't meet what I'm looking for, and what I expect a BMW to be.

Moreover, the top end will be a simple 300 hp car....ok the only thing to do, if somebody is lloking for a real Hot hatch, is going to Audi to buy an RS3 to have something that worth the money, even if its FWD based......but it has a nice sounding 5 pot engine at least.

Let's hope for the future....the M2 is the only BMW to buy nowadays.....
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:17 AM   #4
emulajavi
First Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: MINI JCW F56

If MINI or AUDI can make the hood ‘end’ properly at the grilles, there’s no reason for BMW to put that ugly hood line in the middle of nowhere! It ruins the front end design!

Also... please bring again the ‘normal’ vertical slats to the kidney and stop using that KIA-esque mesh!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #5
ch3f
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulajavi View Post
If MINI or AUDI can make the hood ‘end’ properly at the grilles, there’s no reason for BMW to put that ugly hood line in the middle of nowhere! It ruins the front end design!

Also... please bring again the ‘normal’ vertical slats to the kidney and stop using that KIA-esque mesh!

Agree, vertical slats looks better, and not understand why the grills are getting bigger, looks like 2 slab of pork ribs. Unless engine is overheating and required more air for cooling...

Maybe the chief exterior design used to work in KIA
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 09:12 PM   #6
DKF20
1st BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: White F20 LCI 125i Msport

Is it just me or does the rear look almost identical to the Lexus ct200????
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #7
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Deals on the M140i are near irresistable but need an LSD. I almost pulled the trigger this week but have decided to wait for the new F40 M135i.

Although I will miss out of the big and characterful inline 6, I will enjoy a car that's superior at putting power to the ground.

My local roads are very undulating, uneven, have roundabouts and lots of elevation change. Long term, I wouldn't thrive in the M140i unless when the roads are bone dry.

In real life conditions the M135i will be faster but still enjoyable thanks to a highly biased rear xDrive and clever new e-diffs.
      04-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Regarding the limited slip differentials...

I have had 5 BMWs. Two E30s, one E36, and two F20s. I really didn't like how they handled without an LSD, so I retrofitted one in the three first cars. On the pre LCI F20 116i, I was not completely pleased with the fake LSD system it had from the factory, but it was just good enough to stop me from doing modifications. I could feel exactly when it kicked in and started braking the inside wheel. With more power, I would not have been pleased with it.

However, on the F20 LCI 118i I can no longer tell that the car does not have an LSD. Even on ice tracks, the car has awesome traction and smooth transitions. Seems like they have changed the implementation somehow. Has anyone else noticed?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:25 AM   #9
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Regarding the limited slip differentials...

I have had 5 BMWs. Two E30s, one E36, and two F20s. I really didn't like how they handled without an LSD, so I retrofitted one in the three first cars. On the pre LCI F20 116i, I was not completely pleased with the fake LSD system it had from the factory, but it was just good enough to stop me from doing modifications. I could feel exactly when it kicked in and started braking the inside wheel. With more power, I would not have been pleased with it.

However, on the F20 LCI 118i I can no longer tell that the car does not have an LSD. Even on ice tracks, the car has awesome traction and smooth transitions. Seems like they have changed the implementation somehow. Has anyone else noticed?
That's the benefit of buying an LCI, if there are quick wins in software then manufacturers will usually improve where cost effective.

Given that you have retrofitted LSD three times, it sounds like you need to own an M-car to scratch the itch of driving a car with a factory fitted LSD.

The ones in the M-cars are significantly more sophisticated than what was available to the E30 and E38. The M-diff use numerous input including steering, individual wheel speed torque and yaw rate.

Regarding the M140i. The omission of an LSD isn't the only barrier to conquering its power but so is the suspension. Thus some M140i owners end up upgrading to an M2 or M4. After market upgrade options include includes upgraded suspension and an LSD which which together transform the M140i into a sports car.

It's still an amazing car if you don't do the upgrades. Currently the finance offers £360 down and £360 per month. There's simply no other car that comes close in offering the same amount of smiles and grins per money spent.

Production ends in June/July but stock will still be available through to September.
      04-29-2019, 02:21 AM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
Given that you have retrofitted LSD three times, it sounds like you need to own an M-car to scratch the itch of driving a car with a factory fitted LSD.
I have of course considered M-cars, but they don't really suit my needs. Living in Norway, the speed limits are low, and the traffic is slow. Driving an M-car would be like keeping a tiger in a small cage. I also like to take my cars to the limit on track days, and the modern M-cars are simply uncomfortably fast when doing so.

The cost of the M-cars is also a factor. I can afford to own one, but since I don't drive all that much (the car is sometimes stuck in the garage for weeks), the cost per km is not really sensible.

My ideal BMW would be an F20 LCI with M2 suspension, M2 brakes, M2 manual driveline, and a 200 hp naturally aspirated 2.5L six cylinder engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 02:44 AM   #11
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
On the pre LCI F20 116i, I was not completely pleased with the fake LSD system it had from the factory, but it was just good enough to stop me from doing modifications. I could feel exactly when it kicked in and started braking the inside wheel. With more power, I would not have been pleased with it.

However, on the F20 LCI 118i I can no longer tell that the car does not have an LSD. Even on ice tracks, the car has awesome traction and smooth transitions. Seems like they have changed the implementation somehow.
Your F20s have/had a different implementation of the brakes. M Sport brakes' fixed callipers provide smoother and more effective application then the regular brakes' floating ones.
Appreciate 0