BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > N13 Woes

05-19-2023, 12:56 PM   #1
real__jfk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i M Sport

N13 Woes

About 1 yr ago I ended up with a front main seal leak as well as a VC leak, and shagged PCV issue. I ended up driving for another year (I know, I know) before doing anything about it but I got an aftermarket VC and about 3000kms later I got a drivetrain fault for cylinder 3 misfire which went away the next morning, but I cleared it and it never came back. This prompted me to get the motor sorted as being on 150,000kms it’s about time.

Ended up replacing the following:
Turbo oil feed, return, and vent lines
Front Main Seal
Coolant Connector
Top Coolant Hose

The next day after a long drive I had a sizable wet patch under the car which felt oily and then sticky - this ended up being coolant. After getting home I got another cylinder 3 misfire but this time it never went away and the car was running like a tractor. Ended up driving to BMW for diagnosis where they checked compression (all good) and removed, cleaned, and replaced the injectors and swapped injector 3 for 2, and cleared the adaptations - on the test drive they got another drivetrain fault, but this time it was for the camshaft installation fault and they immediately said it’s time for a new timing chain job but not at their pricing. Drove down the road to the same indy as before.

Replaced the following:

Timing chain job
Water pump pulley

Car runs great now but the tank range has been dropping like a stone (assuming this is because of the relearning) and has abnormally rough cold starts now (I’ll post a video when I can) and the coolant leak is continuing.

I’m mentally preparing for a new injector and even a new vanos solenoid or two. The battery had been on my list of to-do’s for a while as I think it’s the original and my start-stop stopped working about 2 years ago. I’ve left the car on trickle charge overnight (it was on “save” as I turned it on so go figure) and I’ll be looking around to spot the source of that coolant leak this weekend. I suspect it may be the auxiliary coolant pump at the bottom of the bay near the main pulley.

Anyone else run into these issues? Any suggestions around this mileage? I know my way around a wrench so don’t mind getting stuck in.

PS most people I’ve told have all said to sell the car but none of them drive BMW’s so they wouldn’t get it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 07:38 AM   #2
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

My 2014 116i n13 has none of those problems at the same mileage so you must be unlucky.

However when I bought it a year ago, the tailpipe was very sooty, like an old diesel's and fuel consumption was poor.

I decided to change both the MAF and pre cat O2 sensor which sorted it. (the two main sensors for mixture and fuel control)

Consumption has been 30% better ever since.
Appreciate 0