BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 118d 2014 10.25 Android screen update "No signal"

05-12-2023, 03:52 PM   #1
Junior2101
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118d

118d 2014 10.25 Android screen update "No signal"

Good evening to my fellow bimmer owners!

I recently bought my 118d 2014 and i immediately knew I would have to upgrade the stock 8.8" screen to an 10.25 Android one.

So i looked upon the internet and saw that prices were around 400€ for a reliable one, but was lucky enough to find a second hand one, for only 150€.
4+64g, wifi antenna, 4g simcard slot, backup camera included etc etc.

It was sold to me saying it was for a NBT version, I asked explicitly multiple times if he was sure and if he wasn't mixing up NBT and NBT-EVO, to which he answered me he was positive it was for NBT.

I went on and bought the unit, since 150€ was a pretty good bargain in my opinion.

I installed the unit and all the connectors fitted, but as you are probably already guessing, when trying to switch to the oem interface: "NO SIGNAL"

Can anyone tell me if the are any solutions ?
I read somewhere one could replace the cable that connects to the screen and radio for one with a voltage regulator, since both radios don't put out the same voltage; is this true or not?

I should probably say as well that in the Android screen factory configuration the can protocol only says Evo_1 Evo 1.5 and some other options to select...

Even though I'm pretty convinced I will have to sell the Android screen and wait to find another bargain somewhere does anyone have had this issue and found another solution?

Thank you guys for giving the time of reading my post

Kind regards to all of you ,

Jelle
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 01:13 AM   #2
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

I tried to do the same and also had the same result. (2014 116i with BMW Professional Radio, dab & Bluetooth)

Then I fitted a 10.25" Android screen costing £200 from Aliexpress instead. This had a similar spec to yours and inside it, it had a NBT label and APIX2 video chip.

It works with the I-drive and steering wheel controls but mine won't use 4g, only 3g and the Bluetooth implementation will not connect to a OBD dongle but does connect to my phone.

Our cars don't have NBT even though the display plug may be the 6pin NBT type. The NBT Evo types are not compatible.

You can tell from the display menus - the CIC type have a red box around the items and the NBT type have shading inside the box.

Mine has a Champ 2 head unit which is neither CIC nor NBT.

You can type your vin into bimmer.work and also into realoem.com. This will list the screens fitted to a 2014 1 Series so you can compare the part numbers.

Last edited by IJO; 05-15-2023 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 09:45 AM   #3
mzalemu
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 F20 (2012)

Garage List
I have a BMW F20 (2012). Replaced my iDrive but the new iDrive doesn’t show anything, just a blank screen. Showed ‘No Screen’ in the beginning then went blank. If I connect the old one it still works normally. Please advise, thanks.

FYI: radio, A/C works normally.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 09:03 PM   #4
Aussie-F20-116i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i

NBT or CIC

So I have a May 2012 F20 116i. All of the documentation says its CIC head unit. And the display has the red box selction so looks like CIC. But the connector looks like an NBT.

So confused. Do I need to buy an NBT or CIC compatible head unit? At the moment I am assuming NBT, and from what IJO said its NBT without the features of NBT (possibly CIC software on NBT head unit). I agree its definitely not EVO.

Is this what people are seeing ?

Name:  Display.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  back plugged in.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  Connector.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  Back Unplugged.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  76.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 12:40 AM   #5
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's same as my 2014 116i -NBT connector.

The new screen just displays whatever the I-drive screen displayed (but larger) provided the connector fits so buy one with the NBT plug.

The seller should know which unit to sell you.

Please double check with the seller that the unit does have support for your 4g networks as mine only had 2 and 3g support. I was repeately fobbed off with promises of a firmware update which eventually was received 9months later. Not only did this not cure the lack of 4g, it caused the touchscreen to not work properly and couldn't be reversed.

If it won't work with a 4g data sim, return it immediately because the warranty is usually only 90days.

Good luck.

(PS buy from ebay or Amazon so you have a simpler returns process. Aliexpress offer no customer support worth having)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 05:11 PM   #6
Aussie-F20-116i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i

Thanks IJO!

Yes I think I found the answer as well on this website. Its NBT for sure.

Name:  BMW check.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  123.7 KB

I would rather buy from Amazon or Ebay but the prices are so high. Think i will take a punt on this one at Ali for around $300 AUD. (all the ones I find on eBay/Amazon are above $600 AUD)

RHD Model

Name:  AliF20carplay.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  204.7 KB

Ainavi have been helpful and were the ones who said it would be NBT connector, their reviews seem ok and I dont really need 4G in the unit as I use carplay from my 5G iPhone and can attach it to my Wifi for updates.

Also going to see if I can add the reverse camera as well that goes into the numberplate light.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 01:18 AM   #7
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie-F20-116i View Post
Thanks IJO!

Yes I think I found the answer as well on this website. Its NBT for sure.

Attachment 3355250

I would rather buy from Amazon or Ebay but the prices are so high. Think i will take a punt on this one at Ali for around $300 AUD. (all the ones I find on eBay/Amazon are above $600 AUD)

RHD Model

Attachment 3355279

Ainavi have been helpful and were the ones who said it would be NBT connector, their reviews seem ok and I dont really need 4G in the unit as I use carplay from my 5G iPhone and can attach it to my Wifi for updates.

Also going to see if I can add the reverse camera as well that goes into the numberplate light.
I fitted the reverse camera which is a great feature and does indeed replace one of the number plate lights.
Appreciate 0