BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Disable all data/cellular connection

05-18-2023, 10:01 PM   #1
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

Disable all data/cellular connection

2023 X3 M40i

I’m a big privacy freak and was wondering if there’s a way to make my connected car “un-connected”. I don’t really care if the connected features become unavailable as a result.

Has anyone else figured out a way to pull the related fuse or any other way to disable the eSIM module from the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 07:53 AM   #2
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoJJ View Post
2023 X3 M40i

I’m a big privacy freak and was wondering if there’s a way to make my connected car “un-connected”. I don’t really care if the connected features become unavailable as a result.

Has anyone else figured out a way to pull the related fuse or any other way to disable the eSIM module from the car?
I believe you can deactivate the Connected Drive services from MyGarage. Can also adjust the privacy stuff related to car data in there as well.
      05-19-2023, 09:06 AM   #3
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
I believe you can deactivate the Connected Drive services from MyGarage. Can also adjust the privacy stuff related to car data in there as well.
Well, if we have learned anything from all the recent and past consumer privacy debacles, is that companies don’t really care what privacy settings you’ve chosen. They’d rather take risk and profit off your data, and apologize if caught. It’s more of ask for apology not permission kinda approach.

I’d rather physically render the system incapable of communicating. Even when “connected services” is disabled from the app, the car STILL sends over telemetry data including usage and location etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 09:16 AM   #4
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, if we have learned anything from all the recent and past consumer privacy debacles, is that companies don’t really care what privacy settings you’ve chosen. They’d rather take risk and profit off your data, and apologize if caught. It’s more of ask for apology not permission kinda approach.

I’d rather physically render the system incapable of communicating. Even when “connected services” is disabled from the app, the car STILL sends over telemetry data including usage and location etc.
Yeah, good luck though. I'm assuming if you pull a fuse or something you're going to get a bunch of error messages or it's going to mess up something other than the just the esim.

I get where you're coming from as far as the privacy stuff. At this point though, it's almost a lost cause. I avoid the obvious stuff (like Facebook), but I've never worried too much about the car stuff. Your phone is probably tracking similar stuff the car is (location, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 09:22 AM   #5
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, good luck though. I'm assuming if you pull a fuse or something you're going to get a bunch of error messages or it's going to mess up something other than the just the esim.

I get where you're coming from as far as the privacy stuff. At this point though, it's almost a lost cause. I avoid the obvious stuff (like Facebook), but I've never worried too much about the car stuff. Your phone is probably tracking similar stuff the car is (location, etc.)
I agree that you can only do so much. My concern is also about poor security when it comes to connected cars. There have been numerous discussions and demonstrations about how hackers can access your car and disable critical systems etc. Companies are making cars more dependent on connected services but paying almost no attention to security whatsoever.

I haven’t gotten my car yet but I’ll try to find a way to disable connection to the internet altogether. Like pulling an antenna somewhere or something like that. So it just doesn’t have the signal.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2023, 09:28 AM   #6
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I agree that you can only do so much. My concern is also about poor security when it comes to connected cars. There have been numerous discussions and demonstrations about how hackers can access your car and disable critical systems etc. Companies are making cars more dependent on connected services but paying almost no attention to security whatsoever.

I haven’t gotten my car yet but I’ll try to find a way to disable connection to the internet altogether. Like pulling an antenna somewhere or something like that. So it just doesn’t have the signal.
Just an FYI, if you disable the in-car WiFi Apple CarPlay/Android Auto won't work.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 09:51 AM   #7
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Yup. And thank the Lord.
Do you not listen to music or anything? How do you navigate somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 09:52 AM   #8
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you are that concerned, just open up the shark fin and disconnect the antenna cable(s). Or line the fin with aluminum duct tape.
That would disable FM radios and in-car GPS too. Also, I’m not sure cellular antenna is in the shark-fin. I’ll have to figure this out when I get my car in a couple of weeks. Thankfully it’s only ID7; ID8 would’ve been a privacy and security nightmare; one more step closer to “you own nothing”.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 07:35 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
That would disable FM radios and in-car GPS too. Also, I’m not sure cellular antenna is in the shark-fin. I’ll have to figure this out when I get my car in a couple of weeks. Thankfully it’s only ID7; ID8 would’ve been a privacy and security nightmare; one more step closer to “you own nothing”.
FM antenna is integrated into the rear glass heating element.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 07:37 AM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Do you not listen to music or anything? How do you navigate somewhere?
I'm a Boomer. "I possess a unique set of skills that allows me to live without the need of a cell phone or GPS."
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 07:59 AM   #11
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm a Boomer. "I possess a unique set of skills that allows me to live without the need of a cell phone or GPS."
I can respect that. I’d have a tough time in my current job without one, but sometimes I feel like it’s more of a distraction than what it’s worth, so I can see where you’re coming from
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17194.50