BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > ZF 8HP problems

09-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

ZF 8HP problems

Hi there

(trying to collect all ZF related in one thread)

Seems we are more people not entirely satisfied with the "oh so amazing" ZF. My biggest complain is the jerky shifting 2nd-1st-2nd during slow driving. The ZF is also not 100% smooth at all times like my friends DCT (that is a freaking amazing gearbox!!!).

What do you guys have to say? Any remedy? A software update under way?

09-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
Rbezzz
Rep
Drives: M135i

Mine is very jerky when cold around first and second gears. Mentioned it to the dealer and when it came back it was crazy smooth. But the problem had come back. I wondered whether it is something to do with the learning gearbox.

Fine once properly warm however.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

A reset every now and again will probably be the way to go especially if the driving is varied.
      09-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i & Cayenne V6

Of my 10 sports cars over the past 2 decades I have had about 1/2 manuals and 1/2 with paddle shifters. Here are the paddle shifters:

I had an E46 Alpina B3S with the button shifter which I found to be a complete piece of crap - very slow to engage gears, no downshifts into 1st unless you were below 1500rpm, and you could definitely FEEL the torque loss. I hated it so much I sold it in less than a year and got a Golf Gti.

I had an MK6 Gti with dual-clutch DSG which I really liked and thought matched well with the low hp output.

I had a 987 Boxster S with dual-clutch PDK which was great but actually a little too smooth for such a tactile car - really wished I had gotten the manual.

I had an Alfa 147 GTA with single-clutch Selespeed which I just loved! Not really smooth, but there was the great thrust when the gear engaged just like when you drive a manual hard. Also, unlike the previous 2, you could do real engine braking with the downshifts.

As for the M135i (my current ride), I find it to be a wonderful transmission, smoother than any of the above when you drive normally, but just INSANELY quick on both down and upshifts when you want to drive hard. Unlike the Gti and Boxster, you never find yourself against that slight hesitation, waiting for the gear to decide to engage. I just did a 5 hour attack drive in the crazy winding cliffside mountain roads of Hakone and Izu in Japan last weekend (another thread just on this) and my level of appreciation, respect and almost awe of this transmission and car just went through the roof!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 03:26 AM   #5
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganeTrophyGuy View Post
Of my 10 sports cars over the past 2 decades I have had about 1/2 manuals and 1/2 with paddle shifters. Here are the paddle shifters:

I had an E46 Alpina B3S with the button shifter which I found to be a complete piece of crap - very slow to engage gears, no downshifts into 1st unless you were below 1500rpm, and you could definitely FEEL the torque loss. I hated it so much I sold it in less than a year and got a Golf Gti.

I had an MK6 Gti with dual-clutch DSG which I really liked and thought matched well with the low hp output.

I had a 987 Boxster S with dual-clutch PDK which was great but actually a little too smooth for such a tactile car - really wished I had gotten the manual.

I had an Alfa 147 GTA with single-clutch Selespeed which I just loved! Not really smooth, but there was the great thrust when the gear engaged just like when you drive a manual hard. Also, unlike the previous 2, you could do real engine braking with the downshifts.

As for the M135i (my current ride), I find it to be a wonderful transmission, smoother than any of the above when you drive normally, but just INSANELY quick on both down and upshifts when you want to drive hard. Unlike the Gti and Boxster, you never find yourself against that slight hesitation, waiting for the gear to decide to engage. I just did a 5 hour attack drive in the crazy winding cliffside mountain roads of Hakone and Izu in Japan last weekend (another thread just on this) and my level of appreciation, respect and almost awe of this transmission and car just went through the roof!
I just order a plane ticket - Ill come drive those roads next week!!! Haha...joking, but we dont have any of that in China without cows and people all over the roads I would love to be able to do some spirited driving in a safe manner
      09-11-2014, 04:05 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
I just order a plane ticket - Ill come drive those roads next week!!! Haha...joking, but we dont have any of that in China without cows and people all over the roads I would love to be able to do some spirited driving in a safe manner
You have race tracks where you can participate in track days. There is a really nice one in Anting, right outside Shanghai.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
You have race tracks where you can participate in track days. There is a really nice one in Anting, right outside Shanghai.
Thanks for the heads up The 1200km drive is slightly annoying though...
      02-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #8
philisme
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe + M2 + 330e

Garage List
2016 BMW 330e  [0.00]
2012 BMW 1M coupe  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I've a 2014 M235i with the ZF HP8 automatic transmission.

When going backwards a bit faster than for parking I noticed a whistling coming from the gearbox.
I drove a similar car (2014 M135i AT8) with the same AT, and it has also this whistling when going backwards.

You can hear it on this video (not mine) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbPY38aMXsM

I'm pretty sure it's not the normal noise of a going backwards gearbox.
I drove a third car (2012 M135i AT8) and it has also this whistling.

On a French forum dedicated to the One and Two, we are around ten owners complaining about that. Some only hears this whistling after 15.000 km.

One guy on this forum contacted ZF France and they replied :

Quote:
"I come to you pursuant to information that I requested from our support department in Germany for your noise when going backwards.

Cases of damage planetary gears train No. 3 can produce this noise.

No information was given to me on the lifetime of a gearbox experiencing this problem.

We advise you to get closer to BMW for support for this repair.
And then, ZF France contacted his dealership to report this problem to BMW France. And to confirm that ZF will replace the gearbox under warranty.

Do you have this whistling too ?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #9
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
A reset every now and again will probably be the way to go especially if the driving is varied.
Bob - how do you reset gbox ? BP
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #10
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

remove neg terminal on the battery for 30 mins , reconnect and enjoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Bob - how do you reset gbox ? BP
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #11
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganeTrophyGuy View Post
I just did a 5 hour attack drive in the crazy winding cliffside mountain roads of Hakone and Izu in Japan last weekend (another thread just on this) and my level of appreciation, respect and almost awe of this transmission and car just went through the roof!

I too resided in your part of the world many years ago (hence my user name which was from back then too).

That is an awesome drive. I also use to go up the hot springs by the foot of Fujiyama, another great drive especially on weekdays.

I drove a 1989 Nissan Skyline GTR R32. Phenomenal car!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #12
Ben_M135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M135i

It is a bit slow on the 2-1 gear change for me. Particularly coming up to a give way sign at an intersection, I move forward slowly while checking each direction which only takes a split second to confirm no traffic. I accelerate but it is still in second and it just loads up the torque converter, then dumps it into first and chirps the rears... It's a little annoying, but I just figure its the price you pay for driving an auto..... should've gone manual lol
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 09:16 PM   #13
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

I have had my 125i auto for over two years now.
Every now and again I have experienced the jerky 121. It is more noticeable in Sport mode after you have been driving fairly sedately, so I can only assume it has something to do with the 'leaning' having to be redone by the intelligence of the box.
Overall this is the best auto gearbox I have used.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 10:12 PM   #14
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Every auto I have had has been slow when cold and jerky if you put your foot down. The 8 speed goes great after 100m from cold.

No warranty or insurance if you drive your BMW on a race track
      02-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #15
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

30min battery reset...gotta try that.

Ohhh - I also experienced my 8AT being extra smooth 2-3 days after a +3 hour drive on the highway, the battery disconnect remedy sound like an easier solution though

Note to self:
DO NOT (!!!) close the hatch after disconnecting the battery /

Last edited by harkes; 02-09-2015 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #16
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
30min battery reset...gotta try that.

Ohhh - I also experienced my 8AT being extra smooth 2-3 days after a +3 hour drive on the highway, the battery disconnect remedy sound like an easier solution though

Note to self:
DO NOT (!!!) close the hatch after disconnecting the battery /
Maybe clean out all the pollution in China and the car can breath properly it really is a shocker to see this thick pollution. You can find how to on Google, thats right their is no freedom of press there.
      02-09-2015, 11:28 PM   #17
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Maybe clean out all the pollution in China and the car can breath properly it really is a shocker to see this thick pollution. You can find how to on Google, thats right their is no freedom of press there.
Great idea about cleaning up the pollution - Ill get right on it...
      02-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #18
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddy74 View Post
remove neg terminal on the battery for 30 mins , reconnect and enjoy
I have now tried this 30min reset and driven for two days....it actually feels like it works
      02-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #19
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

I also have this whine going backwards. As I recall ALL my previous cars had that too and its perfectly normal. The reverse gear has an extra cog to change the rotation of the output shaft - that is what is making this noise. very surprised about the reply from "the experts".

Quote:
Originally Posted by philisme View Post
I've a 2014 M235i with the ZF HP8 automatic transmission.

When going backwards a bit faster than for parking I noticed a whistling coming from the gearbox.
I drove a similar car (2014 M135i AT8) with the same AT, and it has also this whistling when going backwards.

You can hear it on this video (not mine) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbPY38aMXsM

I'm pretty sure it's not the normal noise of a going backwards gearbox.
I drove a third car (2012 M135i AT8) and it has also this whistling.

On a French forum dedicated to the One and Two, we are around ten owners complaining about that. Some only hears this whistling after 15.000 km.

One guy on this forum contacted ZF France and they replied :

Quote:
"I come to you pursuant to information that I requested from our support department in Germany for your noise when going backwards.

Cases of damage planetary gears train No. 3 can produce this noise.

No information was given to me on the lifetime of a gearbox experiencing this problem.

We advise you to get closer to BMW for support for this repair.
And then, ZF France contacted his dealership to report this problem to BMW France. And to confirm that ZF will replace the gearbox under warranty.

Do you have this whistling too ?
      02-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #20
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Of course it does !! Basically it resets the transmissions ecu !! Problem with these gearboxes if you sit in traffic alot they become a bit jerky !! Simple reset clears it up
Quote:
I have now tried this 30min reset and driven for two days....it actually feels like it works
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #21
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Great idea about cleaning up the pollution - Ill get right on it...
How's the clean up going and it is really no Joke. You'll see in a few years how the rest of the world will manufacture back in their own countries who are green and clean. We see this with food everyone checks to see it's not produced or manufactured in China. I've been to China and I will never go back it's a shame as their is history there before the communists took the power of the people.
      02-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #22
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
How's the clean up going and it is really no Joke. You'll see in a few years how the rest of the world will manufacture back in their own countries who are green and clean. We see this with food everyone checks to see it's not produced or manufactured in China. I've been to China and I will never go back it's a shame as their is history there before the communists took the power of the people.
I was actually considering your comment as a joke... I cannot find the connection between China and gearbox problems at the moment..? China has been BMW's biggest market since 2013 so I am quite sure their cars can handle the environment here. No need to start bashing China - if you don't like it - don't go here or buy their products.