BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > C&D 2020 Porsche 718 GT4 Review

06-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #1
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

C&D 2020 Porsche 718 GT4 Review

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Is anyone considering getting one? Looks to be a pretty tremendous value but I would think you can't DD this...thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
mikeokimster
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 jerez m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Is anyone considering getting one? Looks to be a pretty tremendous value but I would think you can't DD this...thoughts?
It’s a compelling car for its product offerings. Depending on use, the gearing at least until the pdk comes out poses to be the main talking point with ratios being so high.
Appreciate 1
Tyga113233.50
      06-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

GT4 looks awesome, and that C/D praised the hell out of the car, so its likely to be very good, although the gearing still worries me, as I would also want a car for street use. Currently thinking of getting the GTS4.0 or CPO 991.2 CT/CS in a year or so but that would require getting rid of 2 cars for one so not really sure, will have to test drive to make a decision.
Tyga113233.50
      06-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #4
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
I have one coming, and it should be here in about a month. I am pumped for it.

I think this car may possibly be the last of an era, and the combo is proving to be pretty epic. It runs a 7:28 at the Ring with only 415 hp and a manual gearbox. I think with PDK it will be a 7:20 car which is insane. I love PDK - even went with it in my Carrera T, but Porsche’s 6 speed manual is still better than their 7 speed (as good as it is) and I am excited to be back on a manual car. The car will be primarily street driven, and want to have manual in a car like this.
Can you share your build sheet? Would love to see it!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #5
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Don't get me wrong I think this is a fantastic car but C&D's love affair with Porsche is getting to be a little too much IMO. I think it's the first time I've ever seen them not list a low for a vehicle despite admitting the following;

Quote:
The GT4 is not the Cayman for everyone. Depending on road conditions where you live, its ride may be too harsh as a daily driver. The GT4 is not happy merely puttering about. On the highway, the Michelins thrum and reverberate over impacts, the exhaust drones, and the engine whirs behind your head. The steering requires constant attention, and even small ruts and bumps jostle occupants. Under part throttle, there's a little vibration through the structure from the engine. The whole car is just so taut, so tightly strung. But this is not a negative.
If that was an M car or any other performance car in general they would definitely penalize if it for the harsh ride and lack of refinement.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      06-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Don't get me wrong I think this is a fantastic car but C&D's love affair with Porsche is getting to be a little too much IMO. I think it's the first time I've ever seen them not list a low for a vehicle despite admitting the following;

If that was an M car or any other performance car in general they would definitely penalize if it for the harsh ride and lack of refinement.
I'm not sure that's fair. I think given what it is, a GT4, the expectation SHOULD be that it's track-orientated and NOT a DD car. The problem is on the buyer side, people say, "oh wow, what a deal, I should get this over a 911 S or GTS" and end up with something that pounds them to hell, rather than what would have been more appropriate. Well, they brought it on themselves. Like all the people getting the ZL1 1LEs on the camaro boards for "only a few thousand more". Fantastic track car, hands down, but these are not DD cars for 99.9% of DDers. Regular ZL1 suspension is NOT "soft" and very sporty. This class of track cars can be driven to/from the track and can be enjoyed on some roads, but DDers they are not and that *should* be the expectation with them.

An M car is expected to carry over all the BMW features with luxury, unless you get to, what is it, the GTS where the door handles are replaced with straps? It'll be stiffer, sure, but they are pretty far from pure track cars (which is where their GTS model comes along).
243Racing1447.50
      06-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #7
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Not sure I agree with that take as you can option up a GT4 with all the luxury features of other Porsches (you can coat the interior in leather or alcantara). There are far more luxury options to choose than what is available for a typical M car. The reality is that the GT4 will not be any different than M or AMG cars in that a good portion of buyers will not be tracking them. I think it's fair to criticize C&D for moving the goalposts here not that it should take away from what appears to be a great little car.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 02:29 PM   #8
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Not sure I agree with that take as you can option up a GT4 with all the luxury features of other Porsches (you can coat the interior in leather or alcantara). There are far more luxury options to choose than what is available for a typical M car. The reality is that the GT4 will not be any different than M or AMG cars in that a good portion of buyers will not be tracking them. I think it's fair to criticize C&D for moving the goalposts here not that it should take away from what appears to be a great little car.
Isn't the GT4 exclusive though when it comes to ownership? Usually GT cars are only given allocations to specific customers, I would imagine the number of people tracking GT cars is higher than AMG/M. There may be a chance of them purchasing the vehicle for looks/status, but I'd imagine that Porsche GT owners are avid enthusiasts.
      06-17-2020, 02:35 PM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
We have a 718 Boxster 2.0t and would consider the GTS 4.0 for more creature comforts instead of a more track focused car in the GT4. However at those prices, I think I’d rather have a 991.2 or a 992 Cab.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #10
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Isn't the GT4 exclusive though when it comes to ownership? Usually GT cars are only given allocations to specific customers, I would imagine the number of people tracking GT cars is higher than AMG/M. There may be a chance of them purchasing the vehicle for looks/status, but I'd imagine that Porsche GT owners are avid enthusiasts.
Exclusive as cash.. got enuff and u can get what you want. GT cars are for P car luvers that happen to be very succes$ful, but little to do with being an enthusiast ...as im sure that most enthusiast fans will never be able to afford such a luxury.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #11
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
What happens is if you are one of those customers who exchanges their custom ordered Porsche every six months or so, yeah the dealer is going to call you and ask if you want a rare car because the likelihood is high that you will buy it and they will get to re-sell it for near MSRP or higher half a year later, making even more profit. I see it all the time. I own two Porsches but the dealer isn't calling me up.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #12
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
I have one coming, and it should be here in about a month. I am pumped for it.

I think this car may possibly be the last of an era, and the combo is proving to be pretty epic. It runs a 7:28 at the Ring with only 415 hp and a manual gearbox. I think with PDK it will be a 7:20 car which is insane. I love PDK - even went with it in my Carrera T, but Porsche’s 6 speed manual is still better than their 7 speed (as good as it is) and I am excited to be back on a manual car. The car will be primarily street driven, and want to have manual in a car like this.
Close but no cigar. 7:28 was Porsche’s claim some months back but the OFFICIAL number is 4 seconds off that mark. Still nice but 4 seconds is a long distance at the Ring.
https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsche-cayman-gt4-718
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:06 PM   #13
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I knew that was coming. The excuse king

The driver of the new GT4 was the driver of record at the Ring more then anyone else in the top 50 performing cars. Can you even believe what you type? Wow

7:28 was nothing more then a Porsche claim from many months ago, you cannot possibly claim that a legitimate time. It was said to get guys like you salivating but when push comes to shove they fell short. As we went back and forth before in very similar discussion, 7:34 is the time that’s official and it remain so, regardless of what fantasies you conjure up.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 06-17-2020 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:35 PM   #14
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Then you will agree that the C8 doesn’t have an “official” time then right? Because Sport Auto hasn’t tested it yet, and everything else is just rumor or heresay. When it runs 7:38-7:40 on the Ring in their hands, I’ll make sure you PM you to say I told you so and that it’s slower than the GT4.

Also, how do you explain the GT3 RS times where Sport Auto is slower than the factory driver? My guess is you won’t address this because you have nothing to stand on.
Au contraire, to find the C8 time look at a time quicker then the new 992 and you’ll see the official time of the new Corvette. See, that list is an official time list and has been for many years and the times for the C8 and 992 will be still there, regardless of what Captain Cop out conjures up as will your upcoming car, still slower then the Corvette by even a wider margin the 911.
The guy who wheeled the new Porsche is a master of Nürburgring using Ring timing. The official list don’t lie. Your excuses fall flat on it face, yet again.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 09:11 PM   #15
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Show me a video of this C8 official time. You are hilarious! You want to quote a factory Chevy time that has no video proof and then want to use slower Sport Auto times to try to prop your factory time up...I see. You are flat out wrong again and it was just proven here for everyone to see. The C8 is quite slow for a 500 hp car. In fact, it is a lot slower than a now one generation old Carrera GTS that only has 440 hp LOLOLOLOLOL
And it’s slower than 415 hp, manual transmission GT4 from Porsche.

Again, since you want to use Sport Auto, I’ll be sure to let you know the time Christian runs the C8 if Chevy ever ponies up to let them test it. 7:38-740.
How about when you show me a video of the 7:28 time of the GT4 or an official time from the Ring of a 7:28. You won’t because there’s neither, just sales pitch BS from the maker.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:44 PM   #16
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Not sure I agree with that take as you can option up a GT4 with all the luxury features of other Porsches
Well porsche is not stupid, offering those features=profit.
      06-17-2020, 10:48 PM   #17
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Classic deflection. You can’t and won’t answer my questions, which were asked first. Reason being, there is NO proof of ANY C8 time!
Do you even understand what "official time" means?

Quote:
For new entries, this list requires an official manufacturer's press release for manufacturer-conducted tests. If the test has been conducted by an independent publication, an article in that publication is required. New entries require an original, uncut on-board video, showing the lap and the timing from start to finish. A statement that road legal OEM tyres have been used is required.
Car companies "project" times all the time, with modern data systems and programs, they can get damn close, but close doesn't mean real or official.
      06-17-2020, 11:51 PM   #18
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Quote:
Nah. You can get one if you shop around.
      06-17-2020, 11:55 PM   #19
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Quote:
Exclusive as cash.. got enuff and u can get what you want. GT cars are for P car luvers that happen to be very succes$ful, but little to do with being an enthusiast ...as im sure that most enthusiast fans will never be able to afford such a luxury.
Not true. I got an allocation at msrp. I passed on it.

Yes Porsche dealer play games but not all dealers are the same and not all buyers are rich speculators.
      06-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #20
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I am more indexing on calling a Sport Auto an official time, and then also calling a projected time official.

I am fine comparing Sport Auto to Sport Auto but comparing Sport Auto time to a factory driver is not apples to apples since Sport Auto is always 5-10 seconds slower by and large than a factory driver.
So Gebhardt running cars for official times at Nürburgring for mainly for sport auto who has his name listed in the top fastest 50 cars more so then any other driver at that track is slow. Holy smokes!

You know Porsche could have easily had a ‘factory’ driver do a run anytime they chose, and it’s been quite some time since they claimed it could do a 4 second faster lap but it never happened. In fact, makers often try to get suitable laps using drivers of their choosing but fail to hit the number they want and we often don’t hear about them, the company couldn’t match or better the listed time. Oh well.
You really know how to make an argument.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 07:50 AM   #21
jeff113
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Close but no cigar. 7:28 was Porsche’s claim some months back but the OFFICIAL number is 4 seconds off that mark. Still nice but 4 seconds is a long distance at the Ring.
https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsche-cayman-gt4-718
4 seconds is a big difference on a 12-mile track???
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #22
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff113 View Post
4 seconds is a big difference on a 12-mile track???
For discussions sake, lets use a speed of 140mph running down the final mile at the Ring, 4 seconds works out to a bit over 800 feet. Far from a photo finish and a quite substantial amount of time and distance, especially in track timing. Most accept the fact that 4 seconds at Nürburgring is a big difference, even when claimed by a manufacturer that cant match or better the time they claimed it would.

As to the Corvette comment, you and I had a discussion months ago where you said the 992 times would beat the new C8 and I disagreed. We mutually agreed to let the OFFICIAL numbers do the talking when they started running them. Well they did and the C8 edged out the 992 in two tracks(2-0 and counting) thus far and you immediately started making excuse after excuse just as you are now. It’s obviously your M.O. and it can’t be changed.
I’m a man of my word and would have accepted it if the Corvette didn’t beat the Porsche and would have said as much, you on the other hand cannot, just as you’re doing now. It’s really pretty sad.
Appreciate 0