BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Fuel consumption gauge back?

04-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
Mjlbakker
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 G21 318i (in order) - 20

Fuel consumption gauge back?

Hi guys.

The German Autoscout site shows a lot of LCI's already.

Have u noticed the conventional fuel gauge being back in the non-blackpanel dash? See image attached.

Did not read about it in the LCI press release.

Too bad they didnt opt for a temperature gauge!!!
Attached Images

04-29-2015, 12:28 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

> Fuel consumption gauge back?

Yes. It's clearly seen in the configurator (seats trim view). Although it's not clear what the gauge shows I feel like trusting it's it. Just why looking at that? LCI is quite a punishment for those who thought pre-LCI was ugly: it makes it look cool now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjlbakker View Post
Too bad they didnt opt for a temperature gauge!!!
Of course they did not: they want you to start off at once and "drive moderately".

I had a chance to try those dumb cripple things (the fuel consumption gauge they dug out from the last century grave and the new default half a climate) in a 3 Series loaner. Both were terrible. They are only useful for their must be purpose: to push the costly but unnecessary extended panel and full featured automatic climate. The same is the Professional radio default: just by itself it's only a radio stations billboard, pushing the climate down to make it less convenient to operate (suggesting fully automatic again) and demanding some extension like rear view camera or navigation to make a bit of sense.

I wonder if they rejected the central display immediate consumption show mode I sometimes use and find convenient. It's not that it matters to me though.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 12:48 AM   #3
Mjlbakker
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 G21 318i (in order) - 20

I wonder why they choose to add it in the LCI. This is my current view..
Attached Images

04-29-2015, 01:11 AM   #4
Weiman
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
The same is the Professional radio default: just by itself it's only a radio stations billboard, pushing the climate down to make it less convenient to operate (suggesting fully automatic again) and demanding some extension like rear view camera or navigation to make a bit of sense.
You mean the iDrive display? I find it quite useful even without navigation. There's the various settings, contacts & messages, second trip computer, driver's guide, USB music with album art, tire pressures and temperatures, service history etc.. Most of which would be impossible without the display.

Mjlbakker: 230 000 km in an F20, impressive!

Last edited by Weiman; 04-29-2015 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiman View Post
You mean the iDrive display? I find it quite useful even without navigation. There's the various settings, contacts & messages, second trip computer, driver's guide, USB music with album art, tire pressures and temperatures, service history etc.. Most of which would be impossible without the display.
> You mean the iDrive display?

Yes I do.

> There's the various settings

I'm not interested to play with: I just recently noticed those service guys dared to change my sound settings (that's besides listening to my music/radio) half a year ago .

> contacts & messages

I am not very sociable.

> second trip computer

I don't think I need even the first one, really.

> driver's guide

They gave me a short one printed for the purpose but I favour the pdf one (from AusF20 here ) in my phone. No frequent need to look at anyway.

> USB music with album art

I don't store album art: it's redundant, IMHO. Technically it could be any pictures of interest, of course, but I guess I should look at the road while driving. By the way, the display quality fell quite far below my expectation: in videos it had looked much better.

> tire pressures

Not yet: there's no pressure detection in mine (rotation speed based warning only) and I'm happy about that (I want no failures).

> temperatures

The ambient temperature is on the dashboard (pictured above). What else temperature might I need measured/shown?

> service history

They gave me a printed version. It's quite some burden to take it to the service (besides the key).

> Most of which would be impossible without the display.

Basic parameters check is there in my "reduced" (no joystick, no screen) iDrive in the Business radio I like the convenience (and looks) of quite a lot.

I just appreciate those "simple things" (a reference to a song sung by Joe Cocker), in general.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
> I just appreciate those "simple things" (a reference to a song sung by Joe Cocker), in general.
The iDrive display doesn't bother me, but I generally agree with the way you think. I prefer simplicity as well. I guess we are minimalists. I prefer products that can do exactly what I need, and nothing more.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
Weiman
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

Quote:
I just appreciate those "simple things" (a reference to a song sung by Joe Cocker), in general.
Well you better hang on to your current car then. iDrive is standard in the LCI and probably all other bimmers until the end of time

As for the display quality let's just say I disagree.
Appreciate 0