BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Lots of revs and burning smell

01-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
Newbzy
Rep
Drives: 2012 116i Msport

Lots of revs and burning smell

I was sitting a set of traffic lights waiting to take off (car was in sport mode) and when I did the cars revs jumped to over 5k but it wouldn't actually go anywhere. I kept letting off the throttles and trying again but it was only crawling forward but sounded like I was red lining it then a burning smell started which I assume was the poor clutch! I pulled over and let it cool down and checked for anything obvious but there weren't any warnings or anything so I started it up and kept it in comfort mode and it drove fine.

Anyone any idea why it did this? Hoping it's nothing to serious!!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Since you mention clutch, I assume you have a manual gearbox. There are basically three possibilities. It was not properly in gear, the clutch was slipping, or a wheel was spinning. The traction control should not allow much revving up if it was indeed spinning, so that is rather unlikely.
If the clutch was slipping, it could be a hydraulic reason, or oil leakage on the clutch disc.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
Newbzy
Rep

I'm kinda hoping it was just a random occurrence. But I've heard clutch and throttle body from others both of which I assume are a pricey fix?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbzy View Post
I'm kinda hoping it was just a random occurrence. But I've heard clutch and throttle body from others both of which I assume are a pricey fix?
Throttle body? Nope.
The car doesn't even have one.
Appreciate 1
STR8-6IX536.00
      01-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #5
Newbzy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Throttle body? Nope.
The car doesn't even have one.
Haha they're obviously wrong 😂
I might leave it and see. I drove it home (about 20miles) after I let it cool down for 20mins and it was fine so fingers crossed it was just maybe a random thing or something I did wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 03:15 AM   #6
eray
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S3 Quattro 300 Hp

maybe the clutch is worn out. did you replace it since you bought your car?
getting your clutch lining checked out would be a good idea.
have you noticed any difference on height of clutch pedal disengagement ?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 05:26 AM   #7
Newbzy
Rep

No I didn't replace the Clutch (car is 70k) No everything has been grand this was just such a random out of the blue thing. When I got home I gave it a bit of a rev when I stopped to see if it was going to stick again, it didn't but I could start to smell a burning again... it might have just been from the clutch before still I assumed??
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 05:47 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

The operation of the clutch pedal is hydraulic, so the pedal height will adjust to compensate for the wear. My experience is that the pedal force will increase with wear. This happens very slowly, so you will usually not notice until you replace the clutch. Then you can feel the change to a lighter pedal.

Checking the clutch lining is a big job, as you have to separate the engine and the gearbox. If you go through all that work, you might as well replace the clutch even if it looks good.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 05:49 AM   #9
Newbzy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
The operation of the clutch pedal is hydraulic, so the pedal height will adjust to compensate for the wear. My experience is that the pedal force will increase with wear. This happens very slowly, so you will usually not notice until you replace the clutch. Then you can feel the change to a lighter pedal.

Checking the clutch lining is a big job, as you have to separate the engine and the gearbox. If you go through all that work, you might as well replace the clutch even if it looks good.
Any idea how much that would be?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 06:05 AM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbzy View Post
Any idea how much that would be?
No.

But if you want to test your clutch, drive along at 80+ km/h in sixth gear on dry tarmac. Step on the clutch pedal, rev up the engine, and release the clutch pedal again, at full throttle. The RPM should drop right down to where it was before. If it keeps slipping for several seconds, you clutch is finished.
Appreciate 0