BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Google being sued for bias; should google be broken up?
View Poll Results: Should Google Be broken up
Yes 15 71.43%
No 5 23.81%
Unsure 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
1286
Rep
1,946
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Google being sued for bias; should google be broken up?

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...ng-censorship/


I don't believe google should be broken up but I do believe Facebook, Google, Twitter, other large media companies and other 'platforms' shohld be reclassified as publisher and allow people to sue them to oblivion since they are incapable of enforcing clear cut TOS that they do not arbitrarily apply and unable to stay neutral in political conversations among user. Hell one of those sites currently has me suspended because someone pose a question what do you think about trans and I simple reply "biology is quite clear"
Appreciate 4
      08-18-2019, 11:30 PM   #2
SoCalS2k
Captain
SoCalS2k's Avatar
326
Rep
826
Posts

Drives: S2K!
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
You want to destroy or break up a company for being biased? Lol the libtard in you is coming out!! I have a tear in my eye
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
1286
Rep
1,946
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
You want to destroy or break up a company for being biased? Lol the libtard in you is coming out!! I have a tear in my eye
Um I said I was against it and what I feel should be done to correct the problem with the current 'platforms'
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #4
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Colonel
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
1916
Rep
2,334
Posts

Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Trenton, NJ

iTrader: (0)

this site is biased towards BMW. we should break it up
Appreciate 4
      08-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #5
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
1286
Rep
1,946
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
this site is biased towards BMW. we should break it up
Na i seen plenty of Toyota conversation as of late.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #6
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
3645
Rep
3,174
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...ng-censorship/


I don't believe google should be broken up but I do believe Facebook, Google, Twitter, other large media companies and other 'platforms' shohld be reclassified as publisher and allow people to sue them to oblivion since they are incapable of enforcing clear cut TOS that they do not arbitrarily apply and unable to stay neutral in political conversations among user. Hell one of those sites currently has me suspended because someone pose a question what do you think about trans and I simple reply "biology is quite clear"

Those entities aren't "publishers" any more than this website is a "publisher".

No, they don't need to be broken up, and no, they don't need Big Daddy .gov to come in and "fix" them.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet1384.50

      08-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #7
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
3194
Rep
1,953
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Google etc are private companies so their view is that of what is driven by the shareholders. My only real concern is the almost practical monopoly that many of these companies seem to have grown into. That causes me a bit of concern in that it gives them the opportunity to drive political agenda's without a balanced opinion or option. I'm not sure what a solution might be but I guess it sort of strikes me that this is the way media in general has moved over the last decade or so.
Appreciate 3
Wolf 335934.00
Zugzwang1122.00
Delta03117189.50

      08-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #8
gjm120
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1029
Rep
1,805
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: East Texas

iTrader: (0)

Yes or characterized as a monopoly and highly regulated with significant fines for abuse of market position.
Throw all the tech giants, including Microsoft, in there as well.

To the market purists who say we don't need regulation - some entities get so big and/or dominant and are so vital that regulation is warranted.

I'm sure there is a comment coming along the line of "why punish an entity for being successful". Someone probably said that about Standard Oil at one time.
__________________
E82 / Ver Red / Blk Boston L / BMWP Springs w/ Koni Yellows / M front control arms / M rear guide rods / AT / Sport seats & steering wheel + paddles
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #9
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
1286
Rep
1,946
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Those entities aren't "publishers" any more than this website is a "publisher".

No, they don't need to be broken up, and no, they don't need Big Daddy .gov to come in and "fix" them.
They are listed as a platform right which offer them litigation protection but in return they must remain neutral and apply tos fairly and evenly. Since we see they cant do that they now need to be reclassify as a publisher so they lose their slander and liable protection and they can be as bias as they like.
Appreciate 3
Zugzwang1122.00
Poiseuille2901.00

      08-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #10
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
3645
Rep
3,174
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
They are listed as a platform right which offer them litigation protection but in return they must remain neutral and apply tos fairly and evenly. Since we see they cant do that they now need to be reclassify as a publisher so they lose their slander and liable protection and they can be as bias as they like.
ToS violations are a human decision, as such they are imperfect. You would need to prove intent behind the actions.

My stance remains unchanged. They aren't "publishers" and they don't need to be "fixed".

You don't like Google? Use Bing. You don't like Bing? Use Yahoo! You don't like Yahoo!? Use DuckDuckGo. Etc, etc, etc.
Appreciate 3
SoCalS2k325.50
MKSixer14509.50
F32Fleet1384.50

      08-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #11
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
1286
Rep
1,946
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
ToS violations are a human decision, as such they are imperfect. You would need to prove intent behind the actions.

My stance remains unchanged. They aren't "publishers" and they don't need to be "fixed".

You don't like Google? Use Bing. You don't like Bing? Use Yahoo! You don't like Yahoo!? Use DuckDuckGo. Etc, etc, etc.
I use startpage
TOS should to be clearly written out and consistent
If a company arbitrarily throw out pateron and we notice a pattern that it the same group of people it would be treated as discrimination and they would be expose to lawsuits.

Example I gave I simple said Biology is quite clear. What TOS says you can't mention science if it does not help promote a political agenda movement?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #12
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
14510
Rep
7,265
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
ToS violations are a human decision, as such they are imperfect. You would need to prove intent behind the actions.

My stance remains unchanged. They aren't "publishers" and they don't need to be "fixed".

You don't like Google? Use Bing. You don't like Bing? Use Yahoo! You don't like Yahoo!? Use DuckDuckGo. Etc, etc, etc.
This.

I use them only because I've had a gmail account since they've been in existence. Otherwise, I think they are one of the most dangerous private entities in the world. I only use the email on my computer and don't use their search engine or any of their apps save Duo because some biz organizations with which I interface use it. Other than that, no way.

Cheers-mk
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #13
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
3645
Rep
3,174
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
I use startpage
TOS should to be clearly written out and consistent
If a company arbitrarily throw out pateron and we notice a pattern that it the same group of people it would be treated as discrimination and they would be expose to lawsuits.

Example I gave I simple said Biology is quite clear. What TOS says you can't mention science if it does not help promote a political agenda movement?
Discrimination against what protected class? I don't think conservatives or Republicans are a protected class, are they?

I don't know any details about your ToS violation, and I couldn't possibly care less about that scenario honestly.

My stance is, as ever, unchanged.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer14509.50

      08-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #14
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
3645
Rep
3,174
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
This.

I use them only because I've had a gmail account since they've been in existence. Otherwise, I think they are one of the most dangerous private entities in the world. I only use the email on my computer and don't use their search engine or any of their apps save Duo because some biz organizations with which I interface use it. Other than that, no way.

Cheers-mk
Just so. This is the recourse that is the most consistent with the ideals of freedom and free markets, IMO. You don't like how someone does business, don't utilize their services.

Trying to use the power of .gov to "punish" them for a perceived injustice is antithetical to conservatism, freedom and free markets.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer14509.50

      08-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #15
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Colonel
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
1916
Rep
2,334
Posts

Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Trenton, NJ

iTrader: (0)

i really dont know all yall big word in politics or whatever. but if you think its biased don't use it. By forcing them to be neutral you are introducing bias. who determines whats neutral lol. this country loves to nitpick; In china they decide what the news is
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #16
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
1286
Rep
1,946
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Discrimination against what protected class? I don't think conservatives or Republicans are a protected class, are they?

I don't know any details about your ToS violation, and I couldn't possibly care less about that scenario honestly.

My stance is, as ever, unchanged.
Well if it a older person age discrimination is a thing and a large portion of conservatives are 55 or older

Also I'm Hispanic and have Roman Catholic belief and censoring my belief in abortion, trans, and lgbt are all also violation of the discrimation law.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #17
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
1286
Rep
1,946
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
i really dont know all yall big word in politics or whatever. but if you think its biased don't use it. By forcing them to be neutral you are introducing bias. who determines whats neutral lol. this country loves to nitpick; In china they decide what the news is
Quite easy, Pateron ban someone for using the N word once in a conversation on a seperate platform but had several organization with the N word on their pateron site and nothing was mention. Inconsistency in statements, action, and enforcement exposes bias.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #18
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
Captain Blood's Avatar
United_States
7591
Rep
9,595
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tortuga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
You want to destroy or break up a company for being biased? Lol the libtard in you is coming out!! I have a tear in my eye
Have you ever considered debating without name calling?
__________________
I am a weapon of mass destruction......I had chili last night......
Appreciate 2
MKSixer14509.50

      08-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #19
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
1286
Rep
1,946
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
i really dont know all yall big word in politics or whatever. but if you think its biased don't use it. By forcing them to be neutral you are introducing bias. who determines whats neutral lol. this country loves to nitpick; In china they decide what the news is
Which is why they should be a publisher
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #20
SoCalS2k
Captain
SoCalS2k's Avatar
326
Rep
826
Posts

Drives: S2K!
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
You want to destroy or break up a company for being biased? Lol the libtard in you is coming out!! I have a tear in my eye
Have you ever considered debating without name calling?
Well we have history. Mostly him calling me names, so it's finally my one chance to call him a libtard! Lol (he's an extreme conservative so it's a joke but also showing how hypocritical it is from republicans)

You should also stand up for some of us when we actually get called libtards
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #21
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
3645
Rep
3,174
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
Well if it a older person age discrimination is a thing and a large portion of conservatives are 55 or older

Also I'm Hispanic and have Roman Catholic belief and censoring my belief in abortion, trans, and lgbt are all also violation of the discrimation law.
Uh, no, that's not how protected classes work.

You have to demonstrate that you were discriminated against, for starters. Then you have to demonstrate that the reason for the discrimination was because of a protected class.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer14509.50

      08-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #22
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
1286
Rep
1,946
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
Well we have history. Mostly him calling me names, so it's finally my one chance to call him a libtard! Lol (he's an extreme conservative so it's a joke but also showing how hypocritical it is from republicans)

You should also stand up for some of us when we actually get called libtards
Um I never called you any names so I'm completely perplex by your statement
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST