BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 118i M Sport - a few niggles

07-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

118i M Sport - a few niggles

I've had my 118i M Sport for a few months now and have covered about 3600 miles in it. Overall I've been very impressed with it, especially with the engine. Its really loosened up now & goes really well, especially for its relatively small displacement and is using a lot less fuel than before - my average is about 42mpg of mixed motorway and town driving. (70% motorway 30% town). When I say motorway, this generally involves being snarled up on the M62 each day! My fuel consumption has reduced by about 6MPG from when it was new, the journey and conditions are pretty much the same.

Its not all been without fault though! I've had the following problems:

- Doors creaking (common fault & requires some ultra expensive substance applying to them!)
- Ipod locking up when playing and unable to switch to another track, album, artist etc (software issue)
- Unable to answer phone calls via the steering wheel when the ipod is playing (50% of the time). The iPod is working fine at this point. (software issue)
- Steering wheel creaks when turning to full lock (grommet in the bulk head needs replacing with a modified version - known fault)
- Wipers fail intermittently (known fault and requires a new module. Currently on back order with BMW)

So its been with Sytner Sheffield since Monday. They have been really good keeping me informed on the progress and I pick it up tomorrow. I've updated the list above with the cause of the fault & if its known to BMW.

Despite the above I'm really happy with the car, my dealer has been really good in sorting everything out. I'm currently running a Z4 loaner so I'm not in any great rush to get it back just yet (we've had some sunny spells today!).

Also I've had to top up the oil, its had about 3/4 litre for the first 3000 miles, which from my experience is fairly normal for a new engine.

Last edited by hollpe; 07-17-2012 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
vickster24
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: bmw 116i A urban midnight blue

Ive had creaking at the doors, and the dealer added a teflon tape to the sides of the car where the door closes, and the creaking noises have disappeared.
Ive heard the steering wheel creak a couple of times, will wait and see if I hear it again and then take it to the dealer.
No problem with iPod playing and iPhone so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Hope the Sheffield dealer is looking after you as I have not had good dealings with these to the fact that 5 months on I am still waiting for my signed copy of my pair protection guarantee, wish I went elsewhere for my car to be honest
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
qwas
Rep
Drives: 116i

I too have rattles from both doors.
Seems like they originate from the lock button or somewhere near...

Also, and this is more disturbing, the car sort of jolts forward in an unpleasant change of gear from 1 to 2.
Downshifts are not as smooth as I thought either. Rolling to a stop using just engine break, will cause the car to break itself quite aggressively in every downshift.

Did any of you get that?

Simple way to try this is as you start the engine and start driving forward, press the gas paddle lightly so the car accelerates slowly and pay attention to the up gear change to second.

D.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Brenyaman
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: F20 120D Aut Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwas View Post
I too have rattles from both doors.
Seems like they originate from the lock button or somewhere near...

Also, and this is more disturbing, the car sort of jolts forward in an unpleasant change of gear from 1 to 2.
Downshifts are not as smooth as I thought either. Rolling to a stop using just engine break, will cause the car to break itself quite aggressively in every downshift.

Did any of you get that?

Simple way to try this is as you start the engine and start driving forward, press the gas paddle lightly so the car accelerates slowly and pay attention to the up gear change to second.

D.
Mine is very smooth when changing gears, both upshift and downshift, almost unnoticeable
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Lucas S.
Private
Rep
Drives: waiting a F20 118i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenyaman View Post
Mine is very smooth when changing gears, both upshift and downshift, almost unnoticeable
Paisano, no te ocurre a veces como que las marchas se "enganchan" al engranarlas? Pensé que era parte del tacto firme/deportivo de BMW (en mi caso 118i tambien)

No tienes vibraciones en la palanca de cambio?

Saludos
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

i have creaking from my front windows on both sides, the noise goes when the window is cranked down just a notch (1cm will do). i think this is a common fault on BMW according to various sites... im not too bothered, just turn the music up to compensate!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
Brenyaman
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: F20 120D Aut Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas S. View Post
Paisano, no te ocurre a veces como que las marchas se "enganchan" al engranarlas? Pensé que era parte del tacto firme/deportivo de BMW (en mi caso 118i tambien)

No tienes vibraciones en la palanca de cambio?

Saludos
Hola,
El mío es automático. Ni un movimiento extraño de la palanca, obviamente.
Saludos.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Lucas S.
Private
Rep
Drives: waiting a F20 118i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenyaman View Post
Hola,
El mío es automático. Ni un movimiento extraño de la palanca, obviamente.
Saludos.
OK, yo tengo vibraciones en la palanca de cambios, sobre todo al ralentí.

El tacto del cambio es duro, pero se va suavizando con el tiempo y es cuestión de acostumbrarse.

Saludos
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
I've had my 118i M Sport for a few months now and have covered about 3600 miles in it. Overall I've been very impressed with it, especially with the engine. Its really loosened up now & goes really well, especially for its relatively small displacement and is using a lot less fuel than before - my average is about 42mpg of mixed motorway and town driving. (70% motorway 30% town). When I say motorway, this generally involves being snarled up on the M62 each day! My fuel consumption has reduced by about 6MPG from when it was new, the journey and conditions are pretty much the same.

- Doors creaking (common fault & requires some ultra expensive substance applying to them!)
- Ipod locking up when playing and unable to switch to another track, album, artist etc (software issue)
- Unable to answer phone calls via the steering wheel when the ipod is playing (50% of the time). The iPod is working fine at this point. (software issue)
- Steering wheel creaks when turning to full lock (grommet in the bulk head needs replacing with a modified version - known fault)
- Wipers fail intermittently (known fault and requires a new module. Currently on back order with BMW)

So its been with Sytner Sheffield since Monday. They have been really good keeping me informed on the progress and I pick it up tomorrow. I've updated the list above with the cause of the fault & if its known to BMW.

Despite the above I'm really happy with the car, my dealer has been really good in sorting everything out. I'm currently running a Z4 loaner so I'm not in any great rush to get it back just yet (we've had some sunny spells today!).

Also I've had to top up the oil, its had about 3/4 litre for the first 3000 miles, which from my experience is fairly normal for a new engine.
I've heard the wheel creak! i'm not going mad- yay
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
Bmwfourlife
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 1 series 116D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe

Oh this doesnt sound good!!!

Im also having the problem with the idrive locking up on a song etc ....which i still havnt managed to get bmw to resolve!!!!

Usb seems to work fine though!

In regards to the oil, did the car tell you to top up?

I have not even checked the oil and mine has done nearly 6k??!!??
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwfourlife View Post

Im also having the problem with the idrive locking up on a song etc ....which i still havnt managed to get bmw to resolve!!!!

I didn't get any warnings on the dash. I checked the dipstick and it was between minimum and halfway.

I'm glad to report that since the software update the iPod issues have gone away! Also the door & steering creaks have disappeared after the modified steering grommet was fitted and the door seals are quiet now at long last! Every BMW I have owned over the last few years has had issues with the door seals creaking from new!

With regards to Sytner Sheffield I have always had excellent service from them and as a result have bought a lot of cars off them over the last ten years.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
quadra
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i F20

I too have had the steering wheel creak problem, driving me absolutely mad. As it doesn't creak all the time so I was lucky when the guy from the service dept heard the noise and identify the problem.

However, once they fixed that problem, they managed to rip the sound insulation panel in the steering wheel area, so I can hear my acceleration in full glory, including when the fuel injection is cut off!!

Obviously not impressed with that, I brought the car back and they order a new insulation panel and the problem is now fixed. So happy bunny at the mo.

I do noticed my manual air-con light will go flashing instead of fully on when I first start the car, do you guys know if it is normal? The light will go flashing for a while, as if the system is trying push out all the hot air in the car before cold air comes on.

Any similar experience or explanation will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma View Post
i have creaking from my front windows on both sides, the noise goes when the window is cranked down just a notch (1cm will do). i think this is a common fault on BMW according to various sites... im not too bothered, just turn the music up to compensate!
Some of that rubber treatment stuff should cure this problem buddy. I forget it's name though, I'll go and try and find it
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
Bmwfourlife
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 1 series 116D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwfourlife View Post

I didn't get any warnings on the dash. I checked the dipstick and it was between minimum and halfway.

I'm glad to report that since the software update the iPod issues have gone away! Also the door & steering creaks have disappeared after the modified steering grommet was fitted and the door seals are quiet now at long last! Every BMW I have owned over the last few years has had issues with the door seals creaking from new!

With regards to Sytner Sheffield I have always had excellent service from them and as a result have bought a lot of cars off them over the last ten years.
Thats really good to hear.

In regards to the software update, what version do you have now?

I am currently running on ME 5.3.53

:-)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysix View Post
Some of that rubber treatment stuff should cure this problem buddy. I forget it's name though, I'll go and try and find it
oh please do let me know when you do find it!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Gummi pflege is the product mate. Will sort it right out
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #18
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Well at least BMW knows about the problems and is fixing them.

And dammit why can't we get Z4 loaners at my dealership. All we get are stripper 328i's, and the occasional MINI.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 05:13 AM   #19
fuzzer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysix
Quote:
Gummi pflege is the product mate. Will sort it right out
That stuff is good for making sure the doors open on frosty days too smells nice too.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

gummi pflege eh... sounds like a sweet from lidl.

i'll let it get too bad to bear before gummi pfleging my window seals.

it seems to be a roll on though, and the seals are too small for the rollerball?
Appreciate 0