BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > HELP!! BMW F20 turning but won't start up

05-07-2018, 11:23 PM   #1
MNJF20
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i

HELP!! BMW F20 turning but won't start up

Hey everyone. My BMW F20 116i 2012 5 door Manual RHD is not turning on. Long story short, few months ago my car was hit in the rear while driving on the dual carriageway, once I came to a stop the car did not start again (Blow off Cable). I bought the car back from insurance as no airbags deployed. I have carried out visual checks also under the car (Fuel Lines, engine) everything looks fine.

So far I have:
- Replaced both front Driver/Passenger Seatbelt Tensioners
- Replaced Positive Battery Terminal Blow off Cable
- Replaced AGM Battery for a new one (had issues with old one)
- Put in some more fuel (just over 1/4 tank now)
- Checked All Fuses
- Changed Ignition Coils/Spark Plugs
- Recently bought the Carly for BMW App and Gen II Adapter which I used to clear all faults, seatbelt tensioners (Airbag System) and Register my new battery.

The car turns over (RPM needle stays steady on 200) and wants to start but it's not getting any fuel. I can hear the Fuel Pump Relay clicking as well as the Fuel Tank Pump under rear seat turning on. I can smell a bit of petrol which I believe is coming from the exhaust.

According to Carly BMW, ECU's for the Advanced Crash Safety Module (ACSM), Airbag System and the rest are showing okay.

NOW, the only fault showing up on the BMW Carly App is:
Central Gateway
Fault Explanation: Central error memory full
Fault Code: 801C20

PREVIOUS to clearing all faults, I had one guy pop down plug in his laptop, he used a software called 'WOW' and it showed (image below). Also one of the first diagnostics I done on the Carly App showed (images below) which aren't showing up anymore after clearing.

I'm trying to avoid going down the expensive route, replacing everything that comes to mind. If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it.
Attached Images

Last edited by MNJF20; 05-07-2018 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 03:54 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

BMW 116i Fuel Pump Recall

2014-15 BMW F20 1-Series: engine may stall or not start
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #3
MNJF20
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i

I don't think there's anyway of knowing if the fuel pump is faulty as it hasn't showed up on Diagnostic. I'll look into getting it replaced as my car never had a recall for the fuel pump. Thanks alot
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNJF20 View Post
So far I have:
- Put in some more fuel (just over 1/4 tank now)
AFAIK it's a bad practice to run on low fuel: if the pump happens to gulp some air it will be damaged. The manual warns against that as well: page 234 (Mobility|Refuelling|General).
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
Paulgeorge01
Registered
Rep
Drives: 116 D F20 N47 2013

Keep at it you are going down the right track. It is a process of elimination.

Fuel, compression, air, spark & an engine should run.

Maybe the fuel pump relay is clicking but is not moving across fully for the current to flow. I had a relay that clicked but not so loud like it should & when you felt it on operation the ping felt very weak. Changed it out & car ran fine.

Best of luck. Hope you find the problem.

Cheers Paul.
Appreciate 0