BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Autocar: A45 AMG vs GTI vs M135i Review

07-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #111
Hornady
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Having driven the A45 I was surprised by it not feeling faster than the M135i (based on this review).

Will post up a comparison later...
Having seen the price of the AMG i have to laugh at Merc.

They think a 4 pot with a turbo is worth 38k and even more for the CLA.

LOL good luck.

With options the CLA is nearly as expensive as an M3 Saloon list price.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #112
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornady View Post
Having seen the price of the AMG i have to laugh at Merc.

They think a 4 pot with a turbo is worth 38k and even more for the CLA.

LOL good luck.

With options the CLA is nearly as expensive as an M3 Saloon list price.
In Belgium, the TCO of the M135i and A45 are the same seen the smaller and more frugal engine of the Merc. You pay considerably more, but you have to pay substantially less on recurrent taxes. This would indicate that the Merc will have a higher trade in value later also. So higher pricing is at least where I live, no argument against the Merc.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #113
Hornady
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
In Belgium, the TCO of the M135i and A45 are the same seen the smaller and more frugal engine of the Merc. You pay considerably more, but you have to pay substantially less on recurrent taxes. This would indicate that the Merc will have a higher trade in value later also. So higher pricing is at least where I live, no argument against the Merc.
I dont know what TCO is but it sounds stupid if it makes a 31k car the same price as a 38k car.

Merc are dreaming if they think a hot hatch is worth 38k starting. It also doesnt even review as well as the S3 or M135i for driving fun and engagement. All it has over the BMW and Audi is a few tenths of a second to 62 which when below 5 in general is totally useless.

Also the new TTS will likely debut at 38k circa and who wants a hatchback over a TTS?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #114
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Also the new TTS will likely debut at 38k circa and who wants a hatchback over a TTS?
I do.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #115
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I do.
Haha, me too.
      07-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #116
Hornady
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I do.
Seems your in the market for neither car.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #117
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Looks ok the A45 AMG. For me it will take more than that to drag me away from pure RWD and manual....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #118
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Seems your in the market for neither car.
No, I already have the hatchback, and it has RWD. I am rather confused about what to buy next time, as BMW indicates that the F20/21 is the last RWD hatchback.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 03:35 AM   #119
Hornady
Banned
Rep

Quote:
No, I already have the hatchback, and it has RWD. I am rather confused about what to buy next time, as BMW indicates that the F20/21 is the last RWD hatchback.
Audi and Merc seem to be offering 4wd options now.

We are 5-6 years away from F21 being replaced.

Seems the hot hatch market is heating up an BMW wont be able to compete with Audi and Merc with a FWD or AWD model since BMW is ugly compared to Merc and Audi so they need to maintain the driving dynamics because thats al they have tbh.

Last edited by Hornady; 07-05-2013 at 03:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 03:42 AM   #120
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Audi and Merc seem to be offering 4wd options now.

We are 5-6 years away from F21 being replaced.

Seems the hot hatch marker is heating up an BMW wont be able to compete with Audi and Merc with a FWD or AWD model since BMW is ugly compared to Merc and Audi so they need to maintain the driving dynamics because thats al they have tbh.
But I want RWD, not AWD.
And the BMW being ugly is just a matter of taste. I personally think it looks better than both the Audi and the Mercedes. The Alfa Romeo is nice, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #121
Hornady
Banned
Rep

Quote:
But I want RWD, not AWD.
And the BMW being ugly is just a matter of taste. I personally think it looks better than both the Audi and the Mercedes. The Alfa Romeo is nice, though.
the 1er isnt taste its pretty much universal in its ugly headlights.

That said it more than makes up for it in driving dynamics or so i hear.

BMW would be risking alot to move to FWD or AWD given that Audi and Merc can do those better or as good as BMW. BMW doesnt have the interior of the Audi either.

i doubt BMW will move out of RWD for their 1 series since these new competitors are now on the scene.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #122
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
the 1er isnt taste its pretty much universal in its ugly headlights.

That said it more than makes up for it in driving dynamics or so i hear.

BMW would be risking alot to move to FWD or AWD given that Audi and Merc can do those better or as good as BMW. BMW doesnt have the interior of the Audi either.

i doubt BMW will move out of RWD for their 1 series since these new competitors are now on the scene.
You are completely wrong. The F20 looks really good, its headlights and nose are a work of art, it has a fantastic stance, looks purposeful and unique.

Seems your taste is overly-conservative and stuck in the 90's.

This is just my opinion of course, so don't be offended
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #123
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
You are completely wrong. The F20 looks really good, its headlights and nose are a work of art, it has a fantastic stance, looks purposeful and unique.

Seems your taste is overly-conservative and stuck in the 90's.

This is just my opinion of course, so don't be offended
Wow, are you under the effect of some kind of optic drugs or what?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #124
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
I dont know what TCO is but it sounds stupid if it makes a 31k car the same price as a 38k car.
Total cost of ownership. In this case it would mean the car, insurance, gas, maintenance, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #125
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
Wow, are you under the effect of some kind of optic drugs or what?
I know a lot of people who think the F20/21 looks very good. Maybe it is a cultural thing. I have noticed that the chinese and americans tend to prefer the look of big sedans, while people in southern Europe generally like small hatchbacks.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #126
elstoof
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i

I like the look of it, I wouldn't have bought one otherwise. M Sport bumpers are preferable though. I think it's the best looking hatchback on the market personally, most other things are boringly similar to all the others or their previous model (I'm looking at you Audi).

I really don't understand why some people think that their tastes are the only correct ideal and if you disagree you are wrong, it's a very strange and narrow point of view to have.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #127
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
I know a lot of people who think the F20/21 looks very good. Maybe it is a cultural thing. I have noticed that the chinese and americans tend to prefer the look of big sedans, while people in southern Europe generally like small hatchbacks.
Don't think there is anything cultural about that. I see F20s here all the time, including M135i and the only really uninspiring thing about that car is definitely its looks. I had many small cars, most of them hatches in various countries all my life; F20 is not among the impressive ones in terms of exterior design. I find it following its bigger siblings' design language too much and at a wrong scale and somehow underwhelming. From certain angles it really looks like some other brand and much more ordinary small cars. The point is it shouldn't hide its qualities like this.

I would still buy one due to many and obvious qualites though, like it is a rwd, perfectly smooth auto or nice manuals, good quality interior and fine engines including the N55. These matter most but there is no need to fool ourselves about the exterior, it's a shy design to say the least which should be left for VW/Audi cars not for a small performance car made in Munich.

I hate almost all recent Mercedes models but I admit that the A series look way better in person than the new 1 series and that's probably the only catch about that car (Merc), including the A45AMG vs. M135i.

All I want to say is BMW could and should do better! I hope they will fix this and fix it good with the M2.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 07-06-2013 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #128
MWM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Not too excited about this comparison
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #129
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstoof View Post
I like the look of it, I wouldn't have bought one otherwise. M Sport bumpers are preferable though. I think it's the best looking hatchback on the market personally, most other things are boringly similar to all the others or their previous model (I'm looking at you Audi).

I really don't understand why some people think that their tastes are the only correct ideal and if you disagree you are wrong, it's a very strange and narrow point of view to have.
The Bimmer is polarizing. This shouldn't have been the case. The F10 is a universal acceptable car and has at least as many adepts than the F20 so when they wanted, they could have done it.

Good design is also in being in universal acceptable. The F20 isn't, I don't only consider my opinion, but also from a lot of friends and forum discussions here. No other car has so many discussions about this topic for several years in a row on it's own enthousiast forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #130
scheneider
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M //AMG

Quote:
people who said it looks bad, obviously never seen one in real life, especially the americans. i dont know y they banned hatches to go into their market
      07-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #131
Hornady
Banned
Rep

Quote:
its a financial thing.

If you spend £30k on car its going to look good.

Just like when you spend £10k on your wifes face and she looks like a waxwerk horror.

Are you going to tell her?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #132
Hornady
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstoof View Post

The S3 looks better inside and outside. Fact.

This is why the design changes only slightly. Also the New TT looks amazing given its R8 front end.

BMW front end is as bad as the ugly ass e90 3er which is also horrible.

Now the only problem is the ugly head lights and thats the only major issue.

E92
Z4
5er
6er

All good looking front ends.

1 series has been ugly since birth, If this was sparta that 1er would be on the dead ugly baby pile.
Appreciate 0