BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > What's you home stereo system

10-11-2022, 01:33 PM   #23
BigComfy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I'm into mid-fi since I don't want to spend hi-fi $$.
My little setup consist of:
Speakers: Legacy Audio Classic II
Amplifier: Yamaha AS-2000
Pre-amp (for TV only): Marantz SR5015
Streamer: BlueSound Power Node 2i
Power Conditioner: Panamax M5100-PM

This setup punches well above its weight class. Previously had some NHT surrounds and a center with it but it wasn't all that great and too many wires going everywhere.

Office setup consists of"

Speakers: NHT SB2 (these are great speakers. Power hungry but that's what the power amp is for)
Power Amp: Emotiva xpa-2 gen 1
DAC: Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Source: MacBook or Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO turntable.

Mostly, I use Tidal and YouTube Music.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 03:42 PM   #24
Josh-PA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2, n55 e88, B58 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
I'm into mid-fi since I don't want to spend hi-fi $$.
My little setup consist of:
Speakers: Legacy Audio Classic II
Amplifier: Yamaha AS-2000
Pre-amp (for TV only): Marantz SR5015
Streamer: BlueSound Power Node 2i
Power Conditioner: Panamax M5100-PM
Cheers to another Legacy Classic owner
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2022, 06:46 AM   #25
Bruuuce
the me
Rep
Drives: 01ZCoupe, 08M3Coupe, 21M2C

Nothing old, well thinking 90s or easier

Polk Audio LSI all around, 15s, 9s, 7s, C and FXs, been picking them up used and had Mose since new
Emotiva Amp, thinking it a first generation or so
Emotiva Processor, the 700.
VAVA ultra short throw projector

Wanting to switch up to an Atmos system, but will need more channels and a new processor.

Moved into a new place a couple years ago. I have been struggling with speaker wire placement and concealment. I have a couple door thresholds to go over and the normal stuff. I don't really want to pull the crown molding, or the baseboards either. I have hardwood floors and carpet runners don't work for me either. Its kind of an industrial look house and have considered some small 4" wire trays, but that prob won't look home appropriate. Wondering what others have done. I could run them under the floor, but don't really want to drill into the floors either. Its really a 3 sided room, so all the wires need to run around the left wall and back as well.

Another interesting issue with an ultra short throw projector is equipment under the screen needs to be minimized, or you will block the view.

not a current pic below, but somewhat of an idea. The project is like 9 inches off the floor with a 8 foot table I made to hold the components. But speaker wires are a pain for me. I should go look at some AV forums, but have not made this a proirity lately.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2022, 11:20 AM   #26
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruuuce View Post
Nothing old, well thinking 90s or easier

Polk Audio LSI all around, 15s, 9s, 7s, C and FXs, been picking them up used and had Mose since new
Emotiva Amp, thinking it a first generation or so
Emotiva Processor, the 700.
VAVA ultra short throw projector

Wanting to switch up to an Atmos system, but will need more channels and a new processor.

Moved into a new place a couple years ago. I have been struggling with speaker wire placement and concealment. I have a couple door thresholds to go over and the normal stuff. I don't really want to pull the crown molding, or the baseboards either. I have hardwood floors and carpet runners don't work for me either. Its kind of an industrial look house and have considered some small 4" wire trays, but that prob won't look home appropriate. Wondering what others have done. I could run them under the floor, but don't really want to drill into the floors either. Its really a 3 sided room, so all the wires need to run around the left wall and back as well.

Another interesting issue with an ultra short throw projector is equipment under the screen needs to be minimized, or you will block the view.

not a current pic below, but somewhat of an idea. The project is like 9 inches off the floor with a 8 foot table I made to hold the components. But speaker wires are a pain for me. I should go look at some AV forums, but have not made this a proirity lately.
Need more pictures of your room. But an option is to run the cabling from the front wall up the ceiling and down the back wall (if there is one). It'll require cutting open the drywall but I think this is probably the best option. When I had my basement finished and the A/V room done, I had conduit put in as I wanted to pick and run the rear speaker cabling later. I was able to pull the cabling through with pull strings that the contractor left in the conduit. This was my only option apart from doing some sloppy solution running cabling along the baseboards and then across the floor in spots which are not ideal. The floor in my basement and this room is engineered hardwood on top of a concrete slab.

Here are some older pics of the back part of the room. You can see in the first pic where the cabling is coming out from the upper right corner to the speaker.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 02:02 PM   #27
Bruuuce
the me
Rep

Thanks, there is not much more to the room. To the right its open, the front wall is about 20 feet, the left side wall is around 20 feet with two doors. then the back wall is 20 or so feet with a door and an open bar area, then a kick in on the wall about 1/2 the way. The right side of the room is open to the kitchen and another sitting area, another 20-30 feet. Its not, but think open warehouse space.

I don't feel like cutting up the drywall and all the refinishing that will entail at this point. Not that it does not need some work...

basically a 20x20 space, with an open side wall. The TV is an old 60" for reference.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 03:46 PM   #28
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

You sort of elude to it but don't come out and say it. If you have access to the space under the floor of that room, you could drill/cut a hole in the floor in the spot where you have your equipment rack. To finish it off nicely install an electrical box and a nice floor plate to finish it off. Run the wires under the floor up to where the back wall is. Drill through the bottom wall plates and fish the wires up into the wall. Then cut out a boxed opening to install a wall plate to pull the speaker wire through.

If you don't have access to the space underneath, to me to do it right would be to cut up the dry wall and pull the speaker wires through. A/V installers do this all the time and it's really not a big deal to patch up the holes.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 07:17 PM   #29
Bruuuce
the me
Rep

overall wanting something a bit more flexible than in wall or under floor. It may come to that, but seems like things change and then you ned to do it all over again. I may have commitment issues.

I am thinking of open data center type racks around the perimeter of the ceiling. Not exactly that but something that will make it easy to add or move things around as needed.

But back to the regularly schedule thread topic.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 09:06 PM   #30
BigComfy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Hiding wires in a room of that size, is not hard to do. OR showcase your cables. All depends on what you're looking for and what the other half will allow. What are you looking to accomplish in terms of sound, aesthetics, and budget?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 06:55 AM   #31
Bruuuce
the me
Rep

I was just asking if anyone had done any than different for speaker wire routing. Sounds like no, just in wall, in floor, .... I mentioned the look of data center cable trays as an option, but not sure that is good either.

As far as room size, budget, what will someone approve... not really the question.

I did say an Atmos system, I have components now and will upgrade them, guess I thought this was implied. But not really the question either.

Again, not to sound pissy, just trying to see if you all had any different thought or have seen any.

To me, the technology changes rapidly for a whole room immersive system. Not sure being locked into in wall/floor stuff is great for a non dedicated room that may get re arranged at some point.

again, back to the intent of the OP, what cool HiFi stuff do you have.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 07:21 AM   #32
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

If you're willing to accept the looks and the mounting/holes you'd have to drill for ladder racks, then you might as well just have the cabling on the floor. Throw carpet runners on top or tape them down to prevent tripping. To me it's just about the same aesthetically.

I'm satisfied with my lowly 5.2 system. For me, it's the criticality of how the room is acoustically set up along with proper speaker placement. I've heard a Atmos system in the home of the owner of a very well known speaker manufacturer. The system was driven by some decent quality equipment. To me it was meh. I don't buy into the more speakers the better. I'm about what sounds good first. Anyone that has auditioned my system has come out amazed at how good it sounds and how the speakers just are not there as it should be.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 11:16 AM   #33
wspohn
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Audio is a serious thing for me - been an audiophile for many decades and have trouble selling anything - I just keep the gear in a second system and start a new one.

The reluctance to sell stuff I've owned for years probably accounts for owning too many cars, too.

Old system

Older system

Current main system

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 12:16 PM   #34
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Audio is a serious thing for me - been an audiophile for many decades and have trouble selling anything - I just keep the gear in a second system and start a new one.

The reluctance to sell stuff I've owned for years probably accounts for owning too many cars, too.

Old system

Older system

Current main system

Are those Magnepan's?

And in your current system...Wilson Audio?
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2022, 12:25 PM   #35
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Sansui 8080db
Dayton CBT24 line arrays with minidsp for correction
2x Dayton 12 subs
Technics SLQ2 turntable with ortofon black cart
Manley Chinook preamp for vinyl
Sony MD
Onix CD5 cd player
Project Pre-box DAC for PC/MD/CD
Nakamichi LX5 tape deck
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 12:55 PM   #36
wspohn
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Are those Magnepan's?

And in your current system...Wilson Audio?
They are the first version of Martin Logan CLS, and yes, those are Wilsons (and weight a ton (figuratively, anyway - shipping weight in 3 boxes was 1100 lbs.)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 02:41 PM   #37
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
They are the first version of Martin Logan CLS, and yes, those are Wilsons (and weight a ton (figuratively, anyway - shipping weight in 3 boxes was 1100 lbs.)
Nice. I was going to guess Martin Logan too but I was more used to their hybrid speakers with a bass driver. I've never heard a set of Wilsons. Wish I got the opportunity as the boutique I visited had them, but the owner was a total ass.

I've heard electrostatic speakers such as the MLs, Apogees, etc. How does the Wilson stack up? I've always been impressed with the purity and almost holographic presentation of music/vocals played through electrostatics. I didn't have the ability to properly set up these types up speakers in my previous living conditions. Now that I have a dedicated sound room, I sort of wish I had the option as I don't see them around anymore. I guess it's due to the finicky setup requirements and the need for amps that can arc weld.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 03:11 PM   #38
wspohn
Private
Canada
Rep

IMHO, very few of the Martin Logan speakers succeed at mating an electrostatic panel with a cone bass driver. I use that system to listen to acoustic music - it is magic with strings and you don't miss the low bass - it isn't a rock music system or one to listen to the 1812 Overture or organ recitals, as it is 3 dB down at around 45 Hz, and they are only 85 dB efficient and need a lot of current as they dip to 1 ohm at some frequencies (the Classe amp I use is a rare one that will put out all the current they can ask for and it is happy into 1 ohm loads).

The Wilsons are Maxx2s and are 2 dB down at 20 Hz. I use them in a combined audio/video system (video has different preamp and amp) and they have the cleanest lowest bass I have heard in a normal speaker. Tried them with the Jeff Rowland that I drive them with for video but prefer the Conrad Johnson tube power amp for sound only and they produce very low frequencies at levels I am happy with (although I use a pair of Hsu powered subs - 16 Hz at 2 dB down for video).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 07:53 AM   #39
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjack089 View Post
I just stumbled across a David Hafler DH-500 power amp one of the most underatted hifi amps made.
I hope you found one in good working order. They seem to have quite a high failure rate. Instead, decades ago, I went with US-made Crown "D" and more recently "PS" series amps and a Studio Reference-II. I have several other US-made amps (Soundcraftsmen, Carver, JBL/Urei, Adcom, etc) but the Crowns still get the most use.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 08:11 AM   #40
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

I run a basic Yamaha receiver with Klipsch kg speakers in a 5.1 setup. My uncle gifted me his 5.5 towers so I stuck with the series and spent timing finding more of them. I run a 2.5 center and currently 0.5 surrounds. I’ve got 1.5s and extra 2.5s too. I’ve got the basic modern 12” Klipsch subwoofer with it but the 5.5s arguably don’t need a separate woofer.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 08:19 PM   #41
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
I hope you found one in good working order. They seem to have quite a high failure rate. Instead, decades ago, I went with US-made Crown "D" and more recently "PS" series amps and a Studio Reference-II. I have several other US-made amps (Soundcraftsmen, Carver, JBL/Urei, Adcom, etc) but the Crowns still get the most use.
The Hafler is in great shape. I only had to replace a thermal link that was flaky thankfully the driver boards are updated units with both Bias and idle current adjust. the true simplicity of these circuit makes them a joy to work on. I really liked the Crowns when they came into the shop. As nice as the Carvers where I dreaded working on them when they had a failure they became so unstable they tended to go up in balls of fire and if you missed one bad part they would eat all the parts right in fount of your eyes in a spectacular manner
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 08:47 PM   #42
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

I had two Carver TFM-25s. They were bench tested and put out some ungodly amount of power when bridged. But the amps were prone to failure. I ended up sending them to someone on a Carver forum for free; he paid for shipping. I also had the service manuals for the amp which I threw in for him. The one good thing is the amps were really light.

Can't say that about the Bryston 6B-ST and the gen 1 Emotiva XPA-2s. It's a good thing I work out other wise there's no way anyone is moving them without risking hurting themselves.
Appreciate 0