BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Front doors rattling noise

09-16-2013, 03:43 AM   #45
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 116d ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zksi View Post
I got exactly the same problem- passenger door- but mine is almost all times and gets worse over uneven roads or bumps. dealer said its pillar noise but were wrong, comes from door. so solution is to open door area and look around
Mine's all gone quiet but mine is on the drivers side but very annoying. I'd take the door skin off and drive round with it off to see if it's that making a noise first. Then look for something inside. I'd replace the door clips too, you can buy them from eBay if it's easier.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #46
nicvw
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 125i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicvw View Post
Seem to have had some success with the Gummi, the main rattles from passenger and driver's door are gone. Now I just have an occasional creak in both doors, not the continuous rattle that was previously ruining my diving experience.
Having said this, it seems I have to keep applying Gummi every week or two or the damn noise comes back.

It seem that the rattle appears to be a lot worse in warm weather so since it is mostly cold in Cape Town at the moment it isn't hugely annoying.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #47
Ronnyjoz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 125d M Sport, Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicvw View Post
Having said this, it seems I have to keep applying Gummi every week or two or the damn noise comes back.

It seem that the rattle appears to be a lot worse in warm weather so since it is mostly cold in Cape Town at the moment it isn't hugely annoying.
Me too. I have to reapply every couple of hundred miles or so. Or if it rains heavily. Or if there's a y in the day. . Seems to last a bit longer if you give it a good clean with isopropyl alcohol first. Haven't really noticed any imporovement now that the weather is cooler.

Has anybody yet established which bit of rubber it actually is? Mine seems to be coming from the B pillar so I'm suspecting the rubber attached to the leading edge of the rear door, but I'm treating everything in sight, just to be thorough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1975l View Post
Try Sailkote as that seems to get good reviews.
I'm assuming this was suggested for my mirrors, not the door seals?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #48
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnyjoz View Post
Me too. I have to reapply every couple of hundred miles or so. Or if it rains heavily. Or if there's a y in the day. . Seems to last a bit longer if you give it a good clean with isopropyl alcohol first. Haven't really noticed any imporovement now that the weather is cooler.

Has anybody yet established which bit of rubber it actually is? Mine seems to be coming from the B pillar so I'm suspecting the rubber attached to the leading edge of the rear door, but I'm treating everything in sight, just to be thorough.

I'm assuming this was suggested for my mirrors, not the door seals?
You can use it on door seals too.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 03:10 AM   #49
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep

Has anyone tried adjusting the door strike plate?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #50
kanz_min
Driving Fast But Staying Calm
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: 2016 F16 X6 35i, 2017 M2 F87.

my 2 front doors (most the driving door) has been creaking since last day, the rattle came out when I drove on rough road or I get up/down the ramp of my parking.
anyone can give me some advices???
thanks
p/s: my 116i F20 drives just nearly 4000km
      04-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #51
Dazf
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118D M SPORT

I stupidly cleaned round door shuts with detailing spray on my new f20. The doors have given a slight rubbing noise when going over bumps since. I tried TFR and seems to have done the job! so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #52
Ronnyjoz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 125d M Sport, Estoril Blue

A bit more experience with this problem tells me it's all about keeping the rubbers and the metalwork they come into contact with scrupulously clean. The culprit is the rubber along the top edge of the door, the bit that's textured to look like felt. Continual reapplication of Gummi Pflege will eventually make it worse unless you clean it all up before you apply the new lot. A good rub-down with acetone will clean and degrease the rubber, although I don't know what that will do to your clear coat if you get it on the painwork so be VERY careful! Use whatever substance you dare to clean the doorframes too and you'll probably find you won't need the Gummi immediately afterwards.

NOTE: I can't be held responsible for any damaged paintwork so do your research before applying solvents of any kind.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 02:08 AM   #53
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanz_min View Post
my 2 front doors (most the driving door) has been creaking since last day, the rattle came out when I drove on rough road or I get up/down the ramp of my parking.
anyone can give me some advices???
thanks
p/s: my 116i F20 drives just nearly 4000km
Take it back to the dealer for the rattle, the creaks are the top of the window rubber where it meets the bodywork. I wash the inside of the door and the rubber every wash and it goes away and comes back when it's time to wash it again! I've tried everything including IPA and Gummi afterwards but washing at the same time as the car works just as well.
Appreciate 0