BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Esc Off = Comfort Mode ???

06-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
And why do I get more wheelspin with Sport+ than DSC Off?
It's just how the software is written, the ADB-Sport (E-Diff) is no more than applying brakes to a spinning wheel. There's no actual electronic diff or direct diff control.
This still happens in Sport+/DTC, maybe slightly less aggressive than DSC off though and as soon as you get excessive slip or excessive understeer/oversteer then the power is cut.
Even in DSC there is braking of a spinning wheel to transfer torque but the power is cut very early if understeer/oversteer is detected.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #24
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
It's just how the software is written, the ADB-Sport (E-Diff) is no more than applying brakes to a spinning wheel. There's no actual electronic diff or direct diff control.
This still happens in Sport+/DTC, maybe slightly less aggressive than DSC off though and as soon as you get excessive slip or excessive understeer/oversteer then the power is cut.
Even in DSC there is braking of a spinning wheel to transfer torque but the power is cut very early if understeer/oversteer is detected.

Cheers
Lee
In DSC the power is usually cut pretty much immediately even without being off balance, to act like traction control.

In DTC the car allows plenty of wheelspin, but it does not seem to be very interested in distributing the force to the other driven wheel with better traction. Seems to me like it waits until the car tends to understeer before it cuts in to brake the inside wheel.

In DSC Off, the inside wheel brake kicks in rather early, before I can sense any wheelspin.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #25
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post

In DTC the car allows plenty of wheelspin, but it does not seem to be very interested in distributing the force to the other driven wheel with better traction. Seems to me like it waits until the car tends to understeer before it cuts in to brake the inside wheel.

DTC will allow more spinning but it doesn't allow 100% torque to spin away on one wheel, if it did you'd have very little chance on moving on ice/snow. I've tried this by digging out one wheel when stuck in snow in DTC and you can feel the brakes being applied to the spinning wheel and the torque transferred to the wheel with grip to move you forward.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #26
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
DTC will allow more spinning but it doesn't allow 100% torque to spin away on one wheel, if it did you'd have very little chance on moving on ice/snow. I've tried this by digging out one wheel when stuck in snow in DTC and you can feel the brakes being applied to the spinning wheel and the torque transferred to the wheel with grip to move you forward.

Cheers
Lee
So maybe the ediff program is running with reduced parameters compared to DSC Off, then?

I tried some standing starts on our ice racing track, and I got the best launches with DSC Off, followed by Sport+. With regular DSC enabled, the engine was bogging down, and the car started very sluggishly.
Appreciate 0