BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Disable Active Sound Design

09-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
Hitman47
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i xDrive

Disable Active Sound Design

Hi,

I know there is many posts about this, but I didn't found my answer in the ones that already exists.

I own a 2013 M135i xDrive and like many others, I did want to get the "true sound" of my car, not the artificial sound generated by ASD (active sound design).

So I purchased the Bimmercode android app and with my ELM.327 bluetooth adapter, i coded it to "off"

I noticed a difference, but it was very slight so, for compare, I disconnected the module in my trunk (I know I lose the audio system with this, but it was just for compare). With this module disconnected, it was exactly the same as with ASD codded "off" with Bimmercode.

So I think it's really disabled but, just for be sure:

- Is the module I disconnected (see picture https://ibb.co/gEZcUe) really the ASD? Didn't I disconnect something else that would explain why I don't hear so much difference?

- Even with ASD turned off with Bimmercode (or with module disconnected in the trunk) I got some "bass sound" from the rear in mode "Sport" when I downshift. I don't have it in "comfort" mode, only in "sport". You will say me it's sport mode, so it's normal, ye, but I want to be sure this sound is genuine and can be heard from the outside too... So I wonder what cause this sound in Sport mode if it's not the ASD speakers? Because sports mode don't do something else, my exhaust system already have the valve always open (fuse Number 146 removed) so what could cause this difference in sports mode? I don't think sport mode change something else compared to comfort mode so, if I hear a difference, it makes me think the ASD is still not completely disabled, even with the module disconnected...

Thanks for your answers :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman47 View Post
Hi,

I know there is many posts about this
Hi,

I've never seen/noticed a post about it on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman47 View Post
Is the module I disconnected (see picture https://ibb.co/gEZcUe) really the ASD?
It looks like that: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=65_2390 (feel free to choose your car there).

I still can't believe you have ASD (I thought it had been introduced later) and, as it appears, even I do!!! I'll check it. How can it be the uninspiring sound of my car still comes from ASD? How does it really sound then? I'm afraid I wouldn't want to know.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Interesting. Exactly where in the trunk can you find this thing?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 11:54 PM   #4
Hitman47
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Interesting. Exactly where in the trunk can you find this thing?
So in the trunk, on the left, there is a little hatch you can open by turning a button. And it's there, really easy to access for the F20/F21. For F30, it seems very difficult as you have to remove many trunk panels...

And yee, I didn't know RealOEM, very nice site and I see there that my car DO have the ASD and it's the module I disconnected so, even if the car have ASD, I can confirm the difference is very slight.

I still wonder what generatesn the "bass sound" in sports mode if my ASD is now disconnected

And sorry if you don't understand me very well, I'm not native English so, I try to do the best I can :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 12:23 AM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Thanks.

Maybe the bass sound comes from a different engine mapping, the same way it can cause pops, bangs and crackle sounds.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I finally searched for the symposer in our 118i. The web based parts list says the car has it, but I could not find it. Now I want one! :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
lt.Gruber
Rep
Drives: f20 118i

You can get aftermarket sound booster from Kufatec. I think 3 cylinder sounds really nice
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 02:54 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt.Gruber View Post
You can get aftermarket sound booster from Kufatec. I think 3 cylinder sounds really nice
I checked the Kufatec sound booster. It requires sheet metal work. Seems like it is not using the car speakers, but a unit you install under the trunk. Rather expensive as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 08:59 AM   #9
lt.Gruber
Rep

Yeah, its 1500 EUR plus any additional work. Totally not worth it, You can actually get a decent catback for much less
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt.Gruber View Post
Yeah, its 1500 EUR plus any additional work. Totally not worth it, You can actually get a decent catback for much less
But I don't want more noise on the outside of the car, and I don't want more exhaust sound. I want more intake sound in the car. Today I asked the dealer about active sound design retrofit. We will see what they can come up with.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #11
lt.Gruber
Rep

I am also interestedXD
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #12
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Does anyone have a picture of the active sound design module installed in an F20? I am curious about exactly where it is located.
Appreciate 0