BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Standard lighting / bulb upgrade, Mtec Superwhites, no LED's

10-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #45
rodolphobfa
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Hi, anybody got links for how to change these lights?

I am ordering the 4 of these you listed but I have never did anything like this in my F20 116i.

Can you guys help? Even pictures or some kind of tutorial would be awesome.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #46
rodolphobfa
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Anyone? You guys replaced it at home by yourselves?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #47
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolphobfa View Post
Anyone? You guys replaced it at home by yourselves?
See post number 10.

Also some good photos on your idrive screen.

Lee
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #48
Kitts32
Rep
Drives: 116D

Thanks for the info! Ive just ordered the DLR bulbs, looking forward to fitting those!!

Just wanted to ask if anyone here knows how all the other bulbs effect other drivers. It really frustrates me when other cars have stupidly bright lights that make it very dangerous for your to pass them safely on dark roads while your being blinded by there lights.

I do agree that the standard lights are poor but I don't want to become one of those drivers with dodgy lights.

Just out of interest I thought car head lights are designed to deflect light away from on coming cars/drivers? Have those people adjusted the angle of there bulbs or are the bulbs just too bright to deflect the light properly?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #49
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Sometimes the aftermarket bulbs are focused differently than the stock bulbs, causing a different light distribution. It also helps to keep the lights clean, as dirt will spread light all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #50
Kitts32
Rep
Drives: 116D

Just installed the DLR lights, I didn't think the old ones where that bad until I fit these! What a difference, thanks for sharing this!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #51
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitts32 View Post
Thanks for the info! Ive just ordered the DLR bulbs, looking forward to fitting those!!

Just wanted to ask if anyone here knows how all the other bulbs effect other drivers. It really frustrates me when other cars have stupidly bright lights that make it very dangerous for your to pass them safely on dark roads while your being blinded by there lights.

I do agree that the standard lights are poor but I don't want to become one of those drivers with dodgy lights.

Just out of interest I thought car head lights are designed to deflect light away from on coming cars/drivers? Have those people adjusted the angle of there bulbs or are the bulbs just too bright to deflect the light properly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Sometimes the aftermarket bulbs are focused differently than the stock bulbs, causing a different light distribution. It also helps to keep the lights clean, as dirt will spread light all over the place.
Exactly this!

A huge pet hate of mine is 'upgraded' bulbs that aren't fit for the light unit they are in causing undue dazzle to others; oncoming or being tailed

Also yes, headlights are pre adjusted to have the OS H/L aimed slightly lower and usually slightly towards the NS comparatively to the NS H/L to avoid dazzle (when cornering this is worse). So they should be left alone or adjusted to measured levels of needed to be done at all.

Generally people should leave bulbs as they are, and not buy 6k super HIDS to put in and this would avoid said issues.
That said I appreciate some standard headlights on vehicles do seem poor so hard to suggest anything other than speccing xenons on order
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #52
Leeshez
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series F20

Does the car pass the MOT with these bulbs in?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #53
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeshez View Post
Does the car pass the MOT with these bulbs in?
It must: the bulbs do meet the car manufacturer's specifications, don't they?

Also notice that MTECs are only whiter, not brighter than the standard ones.

As a safe option you can also consider the BMW Performance bulb set (mentioned by BenN here).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #54
spotter9
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black 118d Sport

Thanks for this thread was thinking of doing the exact same.. How come you went for 50W h7's over the 100W from mikeysix's thread?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #55
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport Estoril Blue

Just ordered some of the MTEC DRL's to start and change the bulbs, didn't realise how yellow they were until I started reading the thread,I'm a bit funny with things like that I always assume the manufacturers know what they are doing so I just leave as is.The H7 bulbs, are the nightbreaker bulbs the best, I've read about the Phillips extreme vision bulbs are they any better ? or is the BMW upgrade best option or just dearer for same result.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #56
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Yellow light has some advantages. It penetrates better in rainy, foggy and snowy conditions, and provides better contrast. Besides, it does not dazzle other traffic as much as white light. That is why many race teams use yellow lights in 24 hour races.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #57
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Appreciate your comments ovekvam, there's a lot of money spent in researching and developing these things which is why I often hold back, that's not to say that improvements still cant be made hence the reason why upgrades are offered by the manufacturers, I'll try the DRL's first, still interested in improving the rest but not just for the sake of it.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #58
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

The thread actually suggests using the white MTECs for DRL and sidelights, which are to attract safety attention and decorate (not to light through/penetrate anything), only.

For the low/high beam the suggested improvement (including the BMW Performance set, which is rumoured Philips but who wants to know? ) is for brighter (not whiter!) light.

I took a chance to use the OSRAM Nightbreaker (I'm absolutely biased against Philips) in my previous car for a couple of months, waiting for my current factory xenon (a hard decision inspired by this thread ). They were a big improvement over the regular bulbs (same spec., of course) regarding the brightness and size of the light spot on the road (yet, no magic ).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:05 AM   #59
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Just fitted some of the M Tec super white DRL's fitted them no trouble apart from my sausage fingers not sure how easy the others will be, I need someone with dainty fingers.They do look good, I like the look a lot, next step the main bulbs!.Osram or Phillips ,not sure,Whats your opinions.Thanks for the links.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #60
Migz71
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 1 series (F20)

Hi Logiclee great post btw! What about these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-H7-OSR...item257e882e61 bulbs any good? Cheers Also the drl lights have been updated to these http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-w2...ct-bulbs-pair/ has anyone tried these 2 new sets? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 05:51 AM   #61
Migz71
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 1 series (F20)

Just swapped out all bulbs today, What a difference the Osram nightbraker bulbs make! well worth the upgrade! easy to change as well!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #62
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Just fitted the two new DRL bulbs as from Migz71's post, lots better than the previous MTec bulbs we originally used. Nicer white bulb altogether.Cheers for the heads up.still undecided about the headlamp bulbs tho. Hids-direct service pretty good, second set from them delivered in no time.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 02:42 AM   #63
shatnersbasoon
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 120D

So I swapped all my bulbs to Mtec superwhites a few months ago.

I am pleased with the result with crisp white light however the sidelights look a tad yellow compared to the other bulbs, its a bit annoying. Has anyone else noticed this?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #64
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Smile Headlamp bulbs

I've finally changed my headlamp bulbs all to Phillips extreme white xenon effect bulbs, seem pretty good to me up to now. I also agree that the side lights stand out a mile so I've ordered a set of bulbs from HIDS to see what they are like, still waiting them as they were ordered over Christmas and delivery seems slower. Will let you know what happens after they are fitted. Just received them and fitted them to side lights, little disappointed as they are blue really as opposed to white, a better match than the standard yellow bulbs. Will see if I can get used to them, but just beware if ordering the same ones.

Last edited by willsbmw1; 01-06-2016 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: Additional information
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #65
Rubi87
Rep
Drives: 2013 - 118i

Hello, The Mtec DLR and dipped lights are bright white and nice had some quality issues with them, i have ordered double the amount and i was right doing so cause they didn't hold more than 6 months.
As for the sidelights, after using Blue Mtecs as shown in the forum i found them to be yellowish than white and luckily they got burnt after 8 months so i had a reason replacing them, i would recommend getting the Canbus error free LED's for side lights
Here is the link,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281487907759...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They are very white and look great when full lights are on.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #66
Tamasine
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Sorry for the dumb question but are the standard headlights in the F20/F21 not very good, compared with the LEDs and Xenons?

It's just that when I search for used cars, hardly any have been specified with Xenons (normally only the M135i).

Would you buy a 1 series (used or new) with the standard lights or would it be that important to make sure it had either Xenons or full LEDs?
Appreciate 0