BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > [M135i] Driving modes table

03-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
devio
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i

[M135i] Driving modes table

After reading some threads and having my own experiences I tried to capture all changes that happen when you switch to a different driving mode in one table.

For example I put a microphone on the exhaust to hear the operation of the valve of the left pipe. And for the shiftspeed I filmed the rev counter and synced them frame by frame in Adobe After Effects to see the differences in the speed of the needle (OMG what a nerd).

What 'm currently not sure about is ADB-Sport, according to the manual it is only operational in DSC-OFF mode. And furthermore the Hard shift (lastschlag dämpfung off) and Engine Mapping as I cannot measure this objectively.

I would like to hear your observations and please discribe how I can reproduce this on my car. I'll update the table as I gather more info.

This the Excel spreadsheet:
http://members.multiweb.nl/carlebur/Drivingmodes.xlsx
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Nice to see a fellow nerd in here!
I don't see anything wrong based on the things I have been looing into.

There is actually some difference between the modes with a manual gearbox as well. With first gear selected, standing still, clutch in, the maxium RPM differs. Maybe some sort of launch control.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
Arrow29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 comp, X5 M50i ordered

Very interesting data, thank you for posting!

So with regards to the adaptive damper settings, does that mean if I'm in comfort mode and I do an extended hold the DSC button to take it to DSC Off mode, the dampers will automatically go into sport mode without having changed the "driving mode" via the toggle switch?

I've noticed quite a difference in traction between Sports+ and DSC off thanks to the e-diff and have often wondered (but haven't got around to thorough testing) what happens to the damper mode when going into DSC off mode. For example if I'm in Sport mode and then hold DSC to turn it off completely, whether the dampers stay in sport mode or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 01:18 AM   #4
devio
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow29 View Post
... does that mean if I'm in comfort mode and I do an extended hold the DSC button to take it to DSC Off mode, the dampers will automatically go into sport mode without having changed the "driving mode" via the toggle switch?
Yes. You should see the modes as separate, each with its own settings, it ignores where you came from. So adding DTC to SPORT for example does not get you into SPORT+, but into TRACTION (you lose firm dampers, heavy steering, drivetrain changes etc.)
Appreciate 0