BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Advice on black wheels please?

05-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

Advice on black wheels please?

Hi guys!

so I'm thinking about taking the black on red theme further. Got the sportline-trim, black mirror caps and black windows (sun protection pack) so already some black details on it.

I've ordered the all-black M-performance kidney-grilles (delivery-time unknown :S)

thinking about making my wheels black aswell, by plasti-dip them bad idea? gotta me able to revert stuff to stock since it's a lease... what do you guys think about this? hot or not?

I've been photo-editing a bit, it's my first time doing this, see the result below, think it came out allright... gives an idea:

current look (M-perf kidneys missing on both pics obviously):

edited with blacked out wheels:
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Mjlbakker
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 G21 318i (in order) - 20

Like!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Viva87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz
Hi guys!

so I'm thinking about taking the black on red theme further. Got the sportline-trim, black mirror caps and black windows (sun protection pack) so already some black details on it.

I've ordered the all-black M-performance kidney-grilles (delivery-time unknown :S)

thinking about making my wheels black aswell, by plasti-dip them bad idea? gotta me able to revert stuff to stock since it's a lease... what do you guys think about this? hot or not?

I've been photo-editing a bit, it's my first time doing this, see the result below, think it came out allright... gives an idea:

current look (M-perf kidneys missing on both pics obviously):

edited with blacked out wheels:
Ive had black wheels on a few cars rangeing from focus st - Volvo d5 etc and I loved it with them on I always had the tint to brake the look of it up a bit !! As for my f20 the wheels I chose are sort of black and silver so I have best of both worlds -- as for the pictures you posted I like the black rims better - depends on the look your going for
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Sonnig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i Sport

Like it better with black wheels. Not sure if that will affect ur lease contract when u return it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #5
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnig View Post
Like it better with black wheels. Not sure if that will affect ur lease contract when u return it.
you dont return it.. very few people do- you buy it out with the money from the partex on your new car- this is how people get around the mileage limitation, and do these kinds of mods..

only ever affects you if you hand the car back

p.s. looks sic!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
hillbillybear
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: Estoril blue M sport.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeech View Post
you dont return it.. very few people do- you buy it out with the money from the partex on your new car- this is how people get around the mileage limitation, and do these kinds of mods..

p.s. looks sic!
Please explain for me....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
Viva87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Quote:

p.s. looks sic!
Please explain for me....
+1 confused
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #8
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
the way a PCP works is you put an initial deposit down and then pay monthly payments- the agreement is that at the end of the contract (or before the end if you choose) you can do one of 2 things:

hand the car back and start again
pay the balloon payment and keep the car

the finance company are only interested in what you've done to the car if you are handing it back to them- as they will assume responsibility, and the effective depreciation accumulated by additional miles.

If your intention is to buy the car at the end of the period, then additional mileage / modifications you have on the car dont matter, as your assuming ownership.

This is where option 3 comes in. You spec up a new car with a dealer (doesnt have to be BMW) and they give you the cash value for the car (trade in)- you pay the finance off with the cash they gave you (effectively the balloon payment), you keep the residual as deposit for your new PCP - you just have to wait until the balloon payment = the part-ex value of the car- which is usually 2.5-3 years after the car is purchased.

this is how multiple dealers and external people explained it to me

[NOTICE: i wont be held responsible if any of the above is inaccurate, or does not apply to your contract ]
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
hillbillybear
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: Estoril blue M sport.

Garage List
Quote:
the way a PCP works is you put an initial deposit down and then pay monthly payments- the agreement is that at the end of the contract (or before the end if you choose) you can do one of 2 things:

hand the car back and start again
pay the balloon payment and keep the car

the finance company are only interested in what you've done to the car if you are handing it back to them- as they will assume responsibility, and the effective depreciation accumulated by additional miles.

If your intention is to buy the car at the end of the period, then additional mileage / modifications you have on the car dont matter, as your assuming ownership.

This is where option 3 comes in. You spec up a new car with a dealer (doesnt have to be BMW) and they give you the cash value for the car (trade in)- you pay the finance off with the cash they gave you (effectively the balloon payment), you keep the residual as deposit for your new PCP - you just have to wait until the balloon payment = the part-ex value of the car- which is usually 2.5-3 years after the car is purchased.

this is how multiple dealers and external people explained it to me

[NOTICE: i wont be held responsible if any of the above is inaccurate, or does not apply to your contract ]
Thanks but mine is business contract hire but i can buy car at end of term (not in my name) so may be able to use any part ex value ,over agreed price to pcp next car.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillybear View Post
Thanks but mine is business contract hire but i can buy car at end of term (not in my name) so may be able to use any part ex value ,over agreed price to pcp next car.
fair enough
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

I really thought I would like the black wheels, but the originals seem to make the car look cleaner and not so 'used'..maybe its just the red, I think they look great on white cars..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
bimmernet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335Ci

I would like the Black as long as they are glossy Black. Since your modding thre originals it's not an option but ideally IMHO it would look hot if they were Black with Red stripes on the rims to break the "primered" look they have when they are Black and you drive 5 miles and the brake dust takes the glossy look away.

Last edited by bimmernet; 05-24-2012 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: poor syntax
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #13
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernet View Post
I would like the Black as long as they are glossy Black. Since your modding thre originals it's not an option but ideally IMHO it would look hot if they were Black with Red stripes on the rims to break the "primered" look they have when they are Black and you drive 5 miles and the brake dust takes the glossy look away.
In that case he can go for that one (might be quite expensive): 19" style 361 schwarz with rot ring (can be found on BMW website in section accessory)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #14
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

yea agree, black/red-theme on the wheels would be great and those 19" inch wheels with the red stripe would be optimal of course, but I don't even dare to think about the price of those =D not an option.

we'll see if I find the time and energy to go ahead with my modification, could be fun to try it out. Got another modification in my sleeve aswell... plenty of ideas. I will get back with photos for sure if I proceed.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
Sonnig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i Sport

After looking at ur PS pic, it makes me wanna coat my wheel Matt black. Anyone knows how much if I were to do it in Hongkong?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Some after market black wheels would be a better option
Appreciate 0