BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Replacing runflat tyres and getting a suitable spare wheel

11-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #1
aquasurf
aquasurf
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 120i

Replacing runflat tyres and getting a suitable spare wheel

I recently bought a 2016 120i with genuine 11k km. Looks and feels like a brand new car but the Continental runflats fitted on factory 18 inch alloys were noisy. I replaced the OEM fronts 225/40R18 (on 7.5Jx18, ET+45 rims) with the nominal overall tyre diameter of 637 mm and rears 245/35R18 (on 8Jx18 ET+52 rims) with the nominal overall tyre diameter of 629 mm with four new Continental 235/40R18 tyres with the nominal overall tyre diameter of 645 mm (mere 2.5% increase against the OEM rear tyre). I note there was no problem with rubbing of the slightly wider front tyres, so no spacers were needed.

Without the runflats I needed a spare wheel. BMW specified temporary spare wheel was T125/80R17 on a 3.5x17 inch rim. As it was not readily and cheaply available, I selected instead a steel 3.5x18 inch space saver and bought a BMW temporary spare wheel (5x120 mm, centre hole diameter 74.1 mm - never used) fitted with T155/90R18 tyre that was too big for use on Series 1. It may have come from an X5 but at $50 it was cheap. I decided on T125/70R18 tyre for the spare wheel as its nominal overall tyre diameter was 633 mm, a near perfect match for the new 235 tyres (-1.9% difference). I found that such a tyre was fitted as OEM on temporary spare wheels specified for VW Golf gen 7, produced from 03/2013 till present and bought such a wheel for $100 from a local wrecker. I mounted the VW tyre on the BMW rim and my mission was accomplished.

The BMW X5 rim centre hole measuring 74.1 mm in diameter is slightly larger that the Series 1 wheel hub measuring 72.6 mm in diameter. The spare wheel can still be fitted but it is better to use a suitable hub centering ring available from on line shops (see picture below).

A new boot floor placed on top of the spare just matched the height of the boot opening, as shown in the photos. Apparently BMW had designed the boot that way on purpose.

For completeness I attached a table of BMW rim/tyre combinations specified for Series 1.
Attached Images

Last edited by aquasurf; 02-16-2021 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: additional information on hub centring rings
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 06:35 PM   #2
Roodosutaa
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

Hi Aquasurf, thanks for posting this and hope you're well during these crazy times in lockdown. I'm posting this here as I'm new to the forum and haven't figured out how to private message you.

I have recently purchased an M135i which has the same wheel sizes as your car and am looking for spare tyre options and stumbled upon your post. Seems like the X5 space saver rim + Golf/Audi A3 tyre is the way to go, both seem to be relatively easy to find on a few wreckers websites as long as they're not too pricey.

I just have a couple of questions if you could spare the time:

1. Do you think the X5 space saver spare wheel could clear the front brake calipers of an M135i? Given an X5 of a similar age has slightly larger front rotors (348mm vs 340mm) presumably with calipers to suit I'm hoping it might, just not sure about wheel offset.

2. How did you tie down the spare tyre and did you also purchase the tools in the foam holder the spare wheel comes with (jack, spanner, handle etc)?

3. Did you have to buy an additional F20 boot floor to sit on top of the spare wheel and had to put blocks under the floor to fill the space to keep it level?

Thanks heaps in advance, stay safe
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 05:40 AM   #3
dorgo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

I'm pretty sure he fitted an other model boot floor into his 1 series.
When I had to replace my tires I was thinking about replacing the RF tires to regular ones, couldn't find a proper solution (even when I talked to the dealership they offered me a small wheel to be placed in my boot) so I dropped the idea and kept the RF tires.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

The "official" solution for runflat haters is the "Mobility system" set (the one that is supplied with ///M or ///M-Performance cars that have non-runflats from the factory). I believe it should fit the compartment next to the battery (I store a foot air pump there. ). (Or may be this one. )
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2021, 08:50 AM   #5
Roodosutaa
Registered
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
The "official" solution for runflat haters is the "Mobility system" set (the one that is supplied with ///M or ///M-Performance cars that have non-runflats from the factory). I believe it should fit the compartment next to the battery (I store a foot air pump there. ). (Or may be this one. )
Oh I already have that solution, there's a compressor and a plastic can of goo in a nice foam holder next to the battery like you said (it's exactly like your 2nd link). Can't say I trust that stuff and if you have a gash in the side wall (happened to me once when I hit a nasty big pothole) no runflat or tyre sealant could save you. Plus tyre shops hate that stuff and some wouldn't repair the tyre for you once you've used sealant. But thanks anyway, cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 11:23 PM   #6
aquasurf
aquasurf
Australia
Rep

120i spare wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roodosutaa View Post
I just have a couple of questions if you could spare the time:

1. Do you think the X5 space saver spare wheel could clear the front brake calipers of an M135i? Given an X5 of a similar age has slightly larger front rotors (348mm vs 340mm) presumably with calipers to suit I'm hoping it might, just not sure about wheel offset.

2. How did you tie down the spare tyre and did you also purchase the tools in the foam holder the spare wheel comes with (jack, spanner, handle etc)?

3. Did you have to buy an additional F20 boot floor to sit on top of the spare wheel and had to put blocks under the floor to fill the space to keep it level?
Sorry for delay in replying.
re 1) I do not know. If you are in Sydney you can come around to my place in Illawong NSW 2234 and try my spare wheel on your car,
re 2) & 3) see the picture below. There are more in this my website. The stainless steel cables with turnbuckles are clipped to 4 existing tie down points in the boot.
I use a cheap electric scissor jack and a wheel brace with an extendable handle to reduce effort when undoing wheel nuts. These things are placed next to the spare and provide good support for the new boot floor to sit flat. I bought one at wreckers (probably a current series Mazda 2, if I remember well) and cut it down slightly to size to fit. I also made a small alloy rectangular block to fit in the car lifting points to prevent them from being crushed when flat lifting pads are used, as it happened in the tyre shop where I had my RF tyres replaced.

http://www.revhang.altervista.org/BMWspare/Spare14.jpg

Last edited by aquasurf; 09-24-2021 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: fix display of picture
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 06:48 PM   #7
Roodosutaa
Registered
Australia
Rep

Thanks mate, I haven't logged in for over a month and only just saw your message.

Wow that's a pretty elaborate setup, there were a few X5s at the wreckers (ASV in Sydney) and Golfs only a couple of weeks ago but looks like I've missed out, I'm sure they wouldn't be short of totalled X5/6s and Golf GTIs/Rs though. Did a bit of research and I reckon the wheel would fit.

I too had a make a block to fit the jacking point when I had to raise the car to replace the charge pipe, only cut it out of wood though. What were they thinking make it out of plastic (that's both for the jacking point and the charge pipe)?

Thanks again, you gave me a few ideas on how to tackle this.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 06:42 PM   #8
aquasurf
aquasurf
Australia
Rep

120i spare wheel

Further to my earlier posts these are pictures of a narrow steel spare wheel placed at http://www.revhang.altervista.org/BM.../BMWspare.html.
Appreciate 0