BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Official Mountain Biking thread (MTB)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #45
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Lady Jane's Avatar
Canada
36465
Rep
872
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3 and R1200RT
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Atlantic Canada.

iTrader: (0)

A quick 20 during my lunch break. I just love the smell off Autumn. Stayed mostly on the groomed trail system.

Enjoy the pics.

Name:  1 (1).jpg
Views: 147
Size:  968.6 KB

Name:  2 (1).jpg
Views: 146
Size:  960.1 KB

Name:  3 (1).jpg
Views: 144
Size:  1,012.7 KB

Name:  4 (1).jpg
Views: 148
Size:  1.02 MB

Name:  5 (1).jpg
Views: 144
Size:  929.0 KB

Last edited by Lady Jane; 06-19-2022 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 6
M_Six10039.00
vreihen169160.00
selbyp93162.50
Run Silent15025.50
Todd0131304.50
      10-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #46
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
10039
Rep
7,106
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Sweet. I wish we had a groomed gravel trail like that. Our paved trail has a gravel section at the very end, but it's only a half mile or so long.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 11:53 AM   #47
Chapperss
I only ride park
United Kingdom
422
Rep
364
Posts

Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bognor Regis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
A quick 20 during my lunch break. I just love the smell off Autumn. Stayed mostly on the groomed trail system.

Enjoy the pics.
I see your beautiful trails and raise you, , , , , the Welsh Weather!

From our recent trip to Bike Park Wales



It usually looks like this

Appreciate 3
Lady Jane36464.50
Darth One6260.00
Todd0131304.50
      10-16-2021, 10:19 PM   #48
TheRussski
Captain
TheRussski's Avatar
463
Rep
717
Posts

Drives: Slow
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SD

iTrader: (0)

Hi y’all,

Is there a possibility of getting a ok mountain bike for under $800-$1000?

Mostly for just cruising local bike trails and exercise. Don’t need anything fancy. Or would y’all recommend opening the wallet little bit more?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:52 AM   #49
Chapperss
I only ride park
United Kingdom
422
Rep
364
Posts

Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bognor Regis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussski View Post
Hi y’all,

Is there a possibility of getting a ok mountain bike for under $800-$1000?

Mostly for just cruising local bike trails and exercise. Don’t need anything fancy. Or would y’all recommend opening the wallet little bit more?
Oh for sure.

First decision is, are you going to go Hard Tail or Full Suspension - after that trawl some websites.

I always point my friends to these two websites:

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...-under-1000-2/
or
https://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/b...er-1000-394580

You could also look for some of those second hand or check the next tier up and do the same, see if you can get a bargain.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 05:33 PM   #50
TheRussski
Captain
TheRussski's Avatar
463
Rep
717
Posts

Drives: Slow
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
Oh for sure.

First decision is, are you going to go Hard Tail or Full Suspension - after that trawl some websites.

I always point my friends to these two websites:

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...-under-1000-2/
or
https://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/b...er-1000-394580

You could also look for some of those second hand or check the next tier up and do the same, see if you can get a bargain.
I definitely need to learn the basics between hard tail or full suspension. And second hand is a great idea! Thank you for the info!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 08:35 AM   #51
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
15026
Rep
4,098
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Howzit, all.

Could use some input from everyone. About to pull the trigger on my first DS bike. Currently riding a 2020 Marlin 7 but am pushing that bike substantially out of it's element.

Ride mostly blue trails. Moderate climbs and decents. Very rocky and root filled terrain though. I am not a top athletic type guy, so I don't push it very hard and rarely get both wheels off the ground by more than a foot or so.

Trying to balance keeping my budget reasonable and also getting decent spec.

This is my top choice right now and plan is to pick it up Thursday if everything checks out.

Thoughts?

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-ex-7/p/32884/

__________________
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.
Appreciate 2
Lady Jane36464.50
Conissah1391.50
      11-09-2021, 10:17 AM   #52
dc503
First Lieutenant
115
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Reston, VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post

Thoughts?
Definitely checks all the boxes at the pricepoint in my limited MTB knowledge, solid components and suspension. Go for it
__________________
IG: LBR_uno
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15025.50
      11-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #53
Chapperss
I only ride park
United Kingdom
422
Rep
364
Posts

Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bognor Regis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
Definitely checks all the boxes at the pricepoint in my limited MTB knowledge, solid components and suspension. Go for it
Run Silent - Second that. Lovely looking bike too. Are you going 29er? Also black Friday is either happening or happening soon so don`t buy before you are sure it`s not going on offer
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 01:02 PM   #54
Darth One
drunk poster
Darth One's Avatar
United_States
6260
Rep
3,572
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

There’s a comfort level in buying Trek because they’re one of the biggest bike companies around with arguably the most extensive dealer/distribution network in the USA. Components are pretty high-end for the money too.

The only thing you should look into, if you haven’t already, is whether it’s worth it to you to spend more money on a CF frame bike.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 01:14 PM   #55
Doctor_X
Banned
1157
Rep
543
Posts

Drives: 2015 M5 CP - 2022 M5 CS
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
Recently moved to Phoenix from the PNW - that was a change of scenery to say the least. Making do here in Mars…

First bike is a Canyon Torque Carbon mullet setup
Second is a Polygon Siskiyou N9 29er

Both are highly modded and pretty well spec’d for me.
Attached Images
     
Appreciate 3
Lady Jane36464.50
Run Silent15025.50
Todd0131304.50
      11-09-2021, 01:42 PM   #56
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
15026
Rep
4,098
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
Run Silent - Second that. Lovely looking bike too. Are you going 29er? Also black Friday is either happening or happening soon so don`t buy before you are sure it`s not going on offer
Thanks! I currently run 27.5" - I am a pretty short guy, so it helps get the standover height down for me. On the small frame, though, Trek offers both 27.5 and 29. Inventory is so insane right now, I will really just take either - which ever they can get. Wait right now to get what you want on order is mid 2023!

Due to the insane supply issue right now on bikes, black friday won't have any impact. It's hard enough to simply find a bike - no one is giving any discounts at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
There’s a comfort level in buying Trek because they’re one of the biggest bike companies around with arguably the most extensive dealer/distribution network in the USA. Components are pretty high-end for the money too.

The only thing you should look into, if you haven’t already, is whether it’s worth it to you to spend more money on a CF frame bike.
Yeah - I've thought about it. Really though - main benefit of carbon is weight - and I am at least 20lbs overweight, so I can drop a few pounds off the rider for free vs paying for it on the bike, lol.

Yeah - I'm not opposed to other brands - but I like Trek and there is a Trek factory store in my local town that is awesome and where I bought my last bike and my daughter's bike - so I have a good relationship with them and want to stay with the brand.
__________________
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.
Appreciate 1
Lady Jane36464.50
      11-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #57
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
15026
Rep
4,098
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Picked up my new bike today. Happy new bike day to me.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.
Appreciate 3
vreihen169160.00
Darth One6260.00
      11-22-2021, 03:57 PM   #58
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Lady Jane's Avatar
Canada
36465
Rep
872
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3 and R1200RT
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Atlantic Canada.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Picked up my new bike today. Happy new bike day to me.
Sweet...!!!


Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 08:13 AM   #59
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
15026
Rep
4,098
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Sweet...!!!


Right? Pretty stoked.

Of course, now the weather takes a turn and it's below freezing all the rest of the week.

Trying to determine if I should take it with me to Canada next month or not. Not sure if weather will be too cold. I ride down to about 0c, so long as it's sunny.
__________________
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 01:33 PM   #60
freakystyly
Major
1359
Rep
1,099
Posts

Drives: F22 B58 6MT hut hut
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Curious if anyone here has changed their gear ratios themselves.

I have a 1x10 and looking to increase the tooth count on the crank side. I think 42t is the highest?

Is it just a matter of buying the right bits and putting them on? Would I need a new chain? It's a 29er so not too worried about bottoming out on rocks and roots.

Being winter time I don't want to tinker with the car so I need something to mess around with.

Edit: NM... I figured it out. Will report back if I fixed my useless short gearing.

Edit: Yeah, changing to a larger crank side ring is nice. Will have to watch for the police now with a much higher top speed

Last edited by freakystyly; 01-14-2022 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 11:06 AM   #61
Conissah
Major
Conissah's Avatar
1392
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (1)

First time MTB-er here. The wife’s family is always going out on them, total of 8 or so, and it looks like good fun. Recently got injured on my dirt bike, so I’m selling that but don’t want to give up on 2 wheels.

Searched on marketplace, but can’t find anything decent that isn’t $1000. Visited my LBS and fell in love with a Cannondale Trail 8. They had black in stock, but I wanted the highlighter color, so I put a deposit on that for the transfer. Will be ready for pickup Tuesday at lunch. Going to pick up the bike and head straight to the trail near my house. Stoked!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 04:02 PM   #62
Conissah
Major
Conissah's Avatar
1392
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (1)

Picked my Trail 8 up on Tuesday, and immediately hit my local trail. This was my 2nd time out there. Having a blast, planning on logging a LOT more miles.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2022, 05:23 PM   #63
Tambohamilton
Colonel
United Kingdom
2311
Rep
2,919
Posts

Drives: E91 330d
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Curious if anyone here has changed their gear ratios themselves.

I have a 1x10 and looking to increase the tooth count on the crank side. I think 42t is the highest?

Is it just a matter of buying the right bits and putting them on? Would I need a new chain? It's a 29er so not too worried about bottoming out on rocks and roots.

Being winter time I don't want to tinker with the car so I need something to mess around with.

Edit: NM... I figured it out. Will report back if I fixed my useless short gearing.

Edit: Yeah, changing to a larger crank side ring is nice. Will have to watch for the police now with a much higher top speed
42t ring on a 29er? How fast do you want to go?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 05:27 PM   #64
Tambohamilton
Colonel
United Kingdom
2311
Rep
2,919
Posts

Drives: E91 330d
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post

It usually looks like this
No it bloody doesn't! Unless you're talking about a different Wales from the one I know? The first pic is much more accurate
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:36 AM   #65
GrownAzzKid
New Member
United_States
14
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Competition
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Here's my Norco Storm 2. Lots of great trails here in the Austin/Central Texas area.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
Lady Jane36464.50
      06-30-2022, 09:33 AM   #66
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
15026
Rep
4,098
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Someone grabbed this shot of me the other week. Thought it was pretty cool.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.
Appreciate 4
Conissah1391.50
chassis3312.00
Lady Jane36464.50
MMM.PWR1376.50
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST