BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW OS 8 Will Integrate Android Automotive OS in Some Models Beginning March 2023

06-28-2022, 11:08 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW OS 8 Will Integrate Android Automotive OS in Some Models Beginning March 2023

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Group expands BMW Operating System 8, integrates Android Automotive OS.
COMMENTS

From March 2023, the BMW Group will be expanding its BMW Operating System 8 and integrating Android Automotive OS (AAOS) into certain model series for the first time as a second technological approach alongside the current Linux-based variant. The announcement was made by Stephan Durach, Senior Vice-President Connected Company and Development Technical Operations at the BMW Group, at the Automobil-Elektronik Kongress in Ludwigsburg. “We are integrating the best aspects of all worlds – that could be our own in-house developments, Open Source or commercial software products, depending on what the specific solution looks like. We make sure our customers always enjoy a unique, customised digital experience in their vehicle,” according to the lead developer for the digital driving experience, Stephan Durach.

The different software platforms enable the infotainment system to be individually configured. The expanded operating system can also be used in different vehicle series. Customers benefit from tailored, individual and expanded digital features and options.
As in the past, the expanded BMW Operating System 8 will continue to be updated "over the air" at regular intervals with the BMW Remote Software Upgrade.

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 2
2srsman68.00
amdmaxx118.00
      06-28-2022, 11:27 AM   #2
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
I originally thought AAOS would be replacing iD8 as an alternate; sounds like it's more of a co-development thing. Sounds very similar to the news that Apple wants CarPlay to take over your gauge cluster along with the center screen (possibly as a beta/test-bed for the Apple Car.)

All in all, if we have to have digital gauges, I'd love to be able to pick the color scheme and temp/range/boost displays.
Appreciate 2
heavyD^23684.00
      06-28-2022, 01:08 PM   #3
Allen Aquino
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWM8 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

From March 2023, the BMW Group will be expanding its BMW Operating System 8 and integrating Android Automotive OS (AAOS) into certain model series for the first time as a second technological approach alongside the current Linux-based variant. The announcement was made by Stephan Durach, Senior Vice-President Connected Company and Development Technical Operations at the BMW Group, at the Automobil-Elektronik Kongress in Ludwigsburg. “We are integrating the best aspects of all worlds – that could be our own in-house developments, Open Source or commercial software products, depending on what the specific solution looks like. We make sure our customers always enjoy a unique, customised digital experience in their vehicle,” according to the lead developer for the digital driving experience, Stephan Durach.

The different software platforms enable the infotainment system to be individually configured. The expanded operating system can also be used in different vehicle series. Customers benefit from tailored, individual and expanded digital features and options.
As in the past, the expanded BMW Operating System 8 will continue to be updated "over the air" at regular intervals with the BMW Remote Software Upgrade.
Wow…..That's good to hear
Appreciate 1
Daalsip43.50
      06-28-2022, 01:17 PM   #4
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Good to hear, but from what I can tell, AAOS does not go as far as the recent CarPlay demo's in terms of complete dashboard integration; it seems more like a native GUI for the infotainment area, at least at this point.

https://developers.google.com/cars/design/automotive-os
      06-28-2022, 01:22 PM   #5
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

The latest GM branded vehicles have this. One step closer to making it all subscription based for BMW.
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      06-28-2022, 02:12 PM   #6
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
There's a lot of development hours going into this from Google, third parties and the vehicle manufacturers. BMW is just one of the vendors planning to integrate Android Automotive into their vehicles.

I think we'll see many vendors make announcements around this in the upcoming months, and a lot of cool features to be added to the platform.

It's still early, next year is the year for this project to start showing its value to customers.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 04:37 PM   #7
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Figures why BMW was not listed as vendor for the future Car Play update at the Apple WWDC keynote. 👎
      06-29-2022, 04:27 AM   #8
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaug View Post
There's a lot of development hours going into this from Google, third parties and the vehicle manufacturers. BMW is just one of the vendors planning to integrate Android Automotive into their vehicles.

I think we'll see many vendors make announcements around this in the upcoming months, and a lot of cool features to be added to the platform.

It's still early, next year is the year for this project to start showing its value to customers.
2023 Hondas also will have Android auto integrated.
Appreciate 0