BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 2012 a four banger??

01-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #45
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
V-6.
Look, they've come up with a lot of harebrained ideas recently, please don't give them any more ideas!

I guess I'm just trying to say that for driving enthusiasts, a well tuned four can be more enjoyable than a mild I6. BMW has neglected the "entry" level engines for a while now, and this would seem to be a chance for them to make the base cars more fun.

Audi has cleaned BMW's clock recently in just about every model line, so clinging to cylinder count when the other guys are finally getting their suspension, steering and handling sorted doesn't seem like the best plan. Attacking where they're vulnerable, i.e. efficiency, weight and driving fun makes more sense, and having a good four banger and a good straight six sure seems better than having a good straight six and an okay straight six, no?

Maybe it's worth pointing out that neither of us bought the 128i. While it's a great car, it doesn't get much different mileage than the 135i and it doesn't weigh enough less to really give it the chance to be more tossable. However, the I4 could at least address the efficiency aspect of that dilemma.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #46
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

That is fair enough but it's a moot point since the F2X 1M is going to a four banger. Guess that just makes our six cylinder 1ers more valueable at the end of the day

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #47
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

This hi end I4 better come with an oil cooler.
Appreciate 0