BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Why Does Senna Drive Like This?

07-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #1
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Why Does Senna Drive Like This?

Hello friends. I am sure lots people have seen this video of the great Senna testing a NSX. If not, please see the link:

My question is why does he go on and off the throttle instead of one smooth fluid motion. Doesn't using the gas paddle in an on and off manner at least unsettle the car and have negative impact on the lap time?

My kart coach and track day coach said it is necessary to be smooth with applying the throttle and brake, yet I do not understand the driving style of the obviously talented Senna. Thanks.

Last edited by westphone; 07-26-2013 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

When you drive a car within the limits, it has a stable behaviour. Smooth inputs work best in this case, so you don't provoke the car to go beyond the limit of the tires. Senna is not driving within the limits. He is balancing the car just at the limit. In that situation, the car becomes unstable, but still controllable, just like balancing a broomstick on your finger. You need constant corrections, and you need feedback from the car.

You can see that he does this with both the steering wheel and the pedals. Briefly over the limit, and then briefly within the limit, but all the time very close to the limit. If he could manage to give an input that put the car exactly on the limit all the time, he would, but that is hardly possible.

When I drive fast on a track, I also do constant corrections to the throttle and the steering, but my corrections are larger and slower than the ones from Senna. I am not able to stay nearly as close to the limit as he was.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
chunkymonkey
Rep
Drives: 118d M Sport 5dr

"Why does Senna drive like this"...

He drove it first time out in finest Italian loafers better than we mortals would with a year's practice.

Ask yourself rather, why don't I drive like Senna... and you'll already know your answer
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 03:07 AM   #4
viggen
First Bimmer... Totally in love!
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i M sport Estoril

maybe he drives like this because it's a TEST drive?
he wasn't trying to set a fastest lap or anything. Just testing the gasresponse and so on to see if this needed any adjustment.
Have the full testings of these NSX - SENNA laps on DVD.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The likes of Senna are probably always trying to set a fast lap. I think a hotlap would look rather similar, but running slighty more over the kerbs.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Thank you all so much for answering the question.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Speaking of Senna, Honda has this great video ad signaling their return to F1.

http://www.honda.co.jp/internavi-dot...lab/senna1989/
Appreciate 0