BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Brake pad replacement accessory kit

10-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
Teaspoonlizard
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 440i + F20 118d Sport

Brake pad replacement accessory kit

Hi All,

Hoping someone else has overcome this problem... planning to replace pads all round myself but can only find a brake pad accessory kit for the front (expansion spring, guide pins & grease). But on the BMW website they are different parts for the rear, no one seems to make them but BMW! Why is this?

£13-£20 for the front from a few different brands, but £90 from BMW for the rears!

Any help appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Why do you need the accessory kit anyway? If you are simply replacing the pads, all you will need are the pads.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 03:49 AM   #3
Teaspoonlizard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Why do you need the accessory kit anyway? If you are simply replacing the pads, all you will need are the pads.
BMW recommends replacing the spring clips and guide pins after 48 months, my car is now that age. It also includes the brake pad paste to avoids squeal.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #4
Teaspoonlizard
Rep

No one else had this problem???
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

When I replaced the original brake pads on the 116i, they came with stickers to put on the back to reduce squeal. I reused the spring clips, and I can't remember any guide pins.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
Teaspoonlizard
Rep

Quote:
When I replaced the original brake pads on the 116i, they came with stickers to put on the back to reduce squeal. I reused the spring clips, and I can't remember any guide pins.
Was that with the standard brake callipers? Not the M sport Brembo ones?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaspoonlizard View Post
Was that with the standard brake callipers? Not the M sport Brembo ones?
It was the tiny brakes. I have the M Sport ones now, but haven't managed to wear out the pads on those yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #8
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Hi All,

Hoping someone else has overcome this problem... planning to replace pads all round myself but can only find a brake pad accessory kit for the front (expansion spring, guide pins & grease). But on the BMW website they are different parts for the rear, no one seems to make them but BMW! Why is this?

£13-£20 for the front from a few different brands, but £90 from BMW for the rears!

Any help appreciated!
Hi,

Well, if this would help. I seem to need new tyres next seasons (both sets), especially rear. Quite a premature wear off for the mileage. Regarding the current summer ones it looks I will have to order (those starred! ) from BMW as the size (the rear in particular I recall - mixed tyres) is not available Run-flat in retail ("Why is this?") and I wouldn't want to join Run-flat haters after I had a (presumably intentional) puncture and found other two (nails in the tyres, not through). I don't really suffer from money excess right now so I'll swap winter front/rear and/or have only rear replaced.

So, to do my M-Sport brakes when I have to I guess I'll attend the official service. It's BMW after all. You might have to put up with that.

And by the way, one of the reasons why I drive in Sport+ (DTC for those who lack it) is to reduce DSC burden on rear brakes: quite some wheel spin, indeed!

Do you have NBT? If not, buy that Android piece of shit (neighbour thread) and do your brakes on change!

Last edited by No one; 10-12-2018 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: A valid suggestion occured. :-)
Appreciate 1
emil11144.00
      10-13-2018, 06:42 AM   #9
Teaspoonlizard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

Any help appreciated!
Hi,

Well, if this would help. I seem to need new tyres next seasons (both sets), especially rear. Quite a premature wear off for the mileage. Regarding the current summer ones it looks I will have to order (those starred! ) from BMW as the size (the rear in particular I recall - mixed tyres) is not available Run-flat in retail ("Why is this?") and I wouldn't want to join Run-flat haters after I had a (presumably intentional) puncture and found other two (nails in the tyres, not through). I don't really suffer from money excess right now so I'll swap winter front/rear and/or have only rear replaced.

So, to do my M-Sport brakes when I have to I guess I'll attend the official service. It's BMW after all. You might have to put up with that.

And by the way, one of the reasons why I drive in Sport+ (DTC for those who lack it) is to reduce DSC burden on rear brakes: quite some wheel spin, indeed!

Do you have NBT? If not, buy that Android piece of shit (neighbour thread) and do your brakes on change!
I don't think it's really necessary to go to the dealer for brake pad replacement, sure if you want to pay the price go for it. They only recommend replacing the spring clip and guide pins after 4 years, but if in good condition I don't think it's worth it. Only if damaged.

Textar brake pads are about £40 an axel for the M sport brakes. Got the plastic grease BMW uses from ATE for about £3, sensors are about £10, 1 per axle.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it's really necessary to go to the dealer for brake pad replacement, sure if you want to pay the price go for it.
Of course, it's not necessary. I'm just not willing to do it myself and I'm rather doing my best to avoid having to at last. Say, I do change wheels myself just as I wish so but I really wouldn't want to see it as the only option I can afford (my low profile for M-Sport suspension hydraulic jack from US came expensive - shipping cost tripled the price, I recall ). Cutting expenses is all right (within reasonable extent) but when you can't you should just pay, perhaps. If you aren't ready for a dealer no matter what it's just too bad (regarding the car choice). I choose OEM parts just as long as I can. I like it simple. And no, I don't like their prices.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Of course, it's not necessary. I'm just not willing to do it myself and I'm rather doing my best to avoid having to at last. Say, I do change wheels myself just as I wish so but I really wouldn't want to see it as the only option I can afford (my low profile for M-Sport suspension hydraulic jack from US came expensive - shipping cost tripled the price, I recall ). Cutting expenses is all right (within reasonable extent) but when you can't you should just pay, perhaps. If you aren't ready for a dealer no matter what it's just too bad (regarding the car choice). I choose OEM parts just as long as I can. I like it simple. And no, I don't like their prices.
It could be good for the value of the car to have a complete service history at an authorized BMW dealer. I used a hydraulic jack before, but found out that an E46 jack is compatible and even faster in use. It was also rather affordable second hand, and probably never used before I bought it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #12
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
It could be good for the value of the car to have a complete service history at an authorized BMW dealer.
Sure. It's just regarding brakes in particular their condition only should matter - you admit you serve them yourself. One can buy the OEM accessory kit in question, use it himself to save the work cost and keep the paper proof those parts are all OEM.

Quote:
I used a hydraulic jack before, but found out that an E46 jack is compatible and even faster in use. It was also rather affordable second hand, and probably never used before I bought it.
I am new to BMW so I started with the OEM kit. The jack turned not only no way fast or comfortable to use (of course), but of crappy quality as well: I followed the manual scrupulously , no extra burden at all, but it started to degrade and broke completely upon the 4th(?) change of wheels! Fortunately upon completion: I was putting the car down having just changed the last wheel (and I did!). And they intended the set/jack for the heavier models as well! Now I see they withdrew it for the people. BMW loves you!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #13
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I am considering letting the dealer change pads on the M-Sport brakes. I have heard a few stories about them being more complicated to work on than the simple brakes I had on the 116i. Besides, they don't wear out so often, as they are very over engineered for the engine power I have in the 3 cylinder engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #14
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I am considering letting the dealer change pads on the M-Sport brakes. I have heard a few stories about them being more complicated to work on than the simple brakes I had on the 116i.
An excellent notice! I didn't think of it myself as I would refer it completely to the dealer anyway. The major difference for me between M-Sport and regular brakes is not the size as I don't brake much (and not even the colour matching the body ) but the fixed callipers against floating ones: the grip feels so much finer, confident - I would never like to compromise it in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #15
No one
Major
Rep

I've just noticed OP's signature 116i 240 bhp. This should mean a need for many brake pads/disks or tyres - depending on the driving mode(?). Or both. And the engine could be coming... (I didn't mention that, did I?)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 07:54 AM   #16
Teaspoonlizard
Rep

Quote:
I've just noticed OP's signature 116i 240 bhp. This should mean a need for many brake pads/disks or tyres - depending on the driving mode(?). Or both. And the engine could be coming... (I didn't mention that, did I?)
I wouldn't want the stock brakes... haha
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #17
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: The blur Marvel

Quote:
I am considering letting the dealer change pads on the M-Sport brakes. I have heard a few stories about them being more complicated to work on than the simple brakes I had on the 116i. Besides, they don't wear out so often, as they are very over engineered for the engine power I have in the 3 cylinder engine.
I comtemplating doing this too (ie letting the dealer do it) but the M-Sport brakes (both OE discs and pads) are so over-priced that I feel I have to do it myself to save money. The cost for let's say 4 new M-Sport discs and pads at the stealers will run you 15-16.000 NOK plus labour. That's just insane. Yes they are 340/345mm discs but still. These parts can be found for 4-5.000 NOK (Brembo or equal quality) at autodoc or others.

Having an on going E30 restoration I need all available car-money at hand to finish that build to put it up for sale come spring 2019

And having watched videos of people replacing discs and pads on their M-Sport brakes I know they're no different than any other brakes. It should be very easy in fact.

So while I have good discs and pads up front, the rear pads needs a replacement. And if I'm to replace the rears, I will do the front pads as well.

And the parking brake is worn (78.000 km), and kind of sluggish and rather on/off in it's behaviour rather than progressive and co-relating with the amount of "clicks" you apply to the parking brake lever so those will be done too..

On a sidenote, are your M-Sport brakes OE fitted or aftermarket? And how do you like them? Nice and firm pressure and feel, normal pedal travel and generally a strong bite when you drop the anchor?

Sorry to the OP if this derails, but to stay on topic, you would be just fine reusing the springs and pins etc, they will hold up!!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #18
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue 116d View Post
On a sidenote, are your M-Sport brakes OE fitted or aftermarket? And how do you like them? Nice and firm pressure and feel, normal pedal travel and generally a strong bite when you drop the anchor?
My M-Sport brakes came installed on the car from the factory. They work very well. I do however notice that the car feels slightly more heavy footed than the previous one with the small brakes.

I was rather pleased with the feel and bite of the small brakes as well, but they did not hold up a track day. At the end of the day, the brake pedal was low, and the feel was not so good anymore. After a week or two, they were back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #19
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
My M-Sport brakes came installed on the car from the factory. They work very well. I do however notice that the car feels slightly more heavy footed than the previous one with the small brakes.

I was rather pleased with the feel and bite of the small brakes as well, but they did not hold up a track day. At the end of the day, the brake pedal was low, and the feel was not so good anymore. After a week or two, they were back to normal.
Oh ok, so the small standard brakes you are mentioning are on a previous car?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #20
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue 116d View Post
Oh ok, so the small standard brakes you are mentioning are on a previous car?
Yes, I had a 2012 F20 116i N13 M-Sport with the tiny brakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #21
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I had a 2012 F20 116i N13 M-Sport with the tiny brakes.
Got you!
Appreciate 0