BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW 114d BUSINESS daytime running lights

01-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #1
Chigid
Rep
Drives: BMW114d Business

BMW 114d BUSINESS daytime running lights

Dear all

First of all hello

I am new here and new to BMW. Searched the forum, but did not find answer. So posting thread.

I own a white BMW 114d BUSINESS. A few days ago a warning message popped up, that I had a parking light failure. So I wanted to check a bulb. As far as know, to get to that small (H6W) bulb one needs to remove daytime running light bulb and then get inside with a long nose pliers. So I did that, found that bulb was OK, and put it back. Now bot side parking lights are O, but have warning message

side/daytime running lights fault.

I bought this car three weeks ago and I even did not look in the beginning were those daytime running lights on or not, since there were no warning or error messages. Now, when I am looking front of vehicle those two bulbs are off.

Could it be, that I blew the fuse? Is there a fuse for daytime running lights? If yes, where it is? Or ... I even have no idea what could be, since this is first BMW for me.

Thanks for answers in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I don't know the answer, but I would suggest giving some information about what lights your car have. Is it the facelifted LCI model? Does it have halogen lights? Xenon? Leds?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

daylightdriving lightbulb is the upper inner bulb looks likw you checked the sidemarkerlights
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1a...1FpeE5pdw/view
Page 139 is a pic you could see where it is located /no 1)

to check the daytimerunning lights engine needs to run and lightswitch needs to set on 0 ( off)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 10:52 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Is it the facelifted LCI model?
No: it's 114d.

Quote:
Does it have halogen lights?
Sure: a H6W sidelight bulb.

Quote:
Xenon? Leds?
No bulbs for daytime/side lights with those: LED rings ("angel eyes") serve the purpose.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:46 PM   #5
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigid View Post
First of all hello
Hello.

Quote:
A few days ago a warning message popped up, that I had a parking light failure. So I wanted to check a bulb. As far as know, to get to that small (H6W) bulb one needs to remove daytime running light bulb and then get inside with a long nose pliers. So I did that, found that bulb was OK, and put it back.
You should've (turned the parking lights on and) checked if the lights worked. Don't overlook the rears, too. If anyone doesn't, only then check the bulb(s).

Quote:
Now bot side parking lights are O, but have warning message

side/daytime running lights fault.
What is "O"? "Oll right" (working fine)? Is the message different from the initial one? And "both" is not enough regarding side/parking lights. There are four, in the rear lights too.

Quote:
Now, when I am looking front of vehicle those two bulbs are off.
To have daytime lights on you should, besides what DomMuc suggested, make sure they aren't disabled, either.

Quote:
Could it be, that I blew the fuse?
Why would you? From your description of what you did you shouldn't have. The car was shut off when you inspected the bulb(s), I presume.

Quote:
Is there a fuse for daytime running lights?
Just from common sense/knowledge, everything electrical should be protected.

Quote:
If yes, where it is?
Well, address the manual. There are two locations. "Plastic tweezers and details of the fuse assignment can be found with the fuses in the boot." (page 263)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
Chigid
Rep

Thanks guys for response . I think I found the problem. But I newer thought, that those two bulbsare wired in series. Anyway. One of bulb is burned. Another is OK, and unfortunately, at first I checked the one, which is good. Since I have never seen, that in the car two bulbs on two different side are wired in series and both bulbs are off, I started thinking about fuse.

It strange, that BM wired those two bulbs like this. Or, may be board computer shuts other one too, when one is burned.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #7
No one
Major
Rep

Side/parking lights can be illuminated on one side only.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #8
Chigid
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Side/parking lights can be illuminated on one side only.
But not daytime running lights. Let me first fix daytime lights and will think about parking ones. BTW they are Ok, at least visually
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #9
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
But not daytime running lights. Let me first fix daytime lights and will think about parking ones. BTW they are Ok, at least visually
You shared you had checked a parking light bulb, both the location and kind (H6W). DRL ones are different in both aspects. It's not too clear what lights you actually refer to. It might even seem, not too clear for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 12:08 PM   #10
Chigid
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
You shared you had checked a parking light bulb, both the location and kind (H6W). DRL ones are different in both aspects. It's not too clear what lights you actually refer to. It might even seem, not too clear for yourself.
Do I need to describe all my actions? I will give you a hint. If bulb is lit, one does not need more checks, that what you see. Another hint - parking light bulb.
Appreciate 0