BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > Coding for Headunit Replacement

08-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
Jimmybell
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i; V12 Vantage; Clio RS200

Coding for Headunit Replacement

My LCI M135i radio headunit is on the fritz. Intermittently rebooting, and seemingly getting worse and more frequent, becoming quite annoying.

Replacement parts are ~£1500, and BMW quoted similar to replace it. They've already attempted a re-flash to fix but didn't make any difference.

I noted used units are available on ebay for ~300ish but i believe this would need coding somehow to enable it to slot in.

I couldn't find one - is there a guide to do this? Or could someone explain what needs coding and how?

I'm techy, so happy to mess around with esys (especially if i can get hold of that prebuilt windows VM containing all the software) and electronics to get it working, and i've already successfully rebuilt the dash to re-seat connections.

attached an image of my existing magnetti spaghetti unit, not sure if it's helpful!

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
TheCarWhisperer
Rep
Drives: 2019' BMW M140i

Did you find any information yet ? I need this too..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 05:19 AM   #3
Finn2k1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d

If I m not mistaken, reboots are cuased by a hard disk failure so replacing your HDD with another one and then flash again will solve the problems. Otherwise you can just buy a compatible HU, use an emulator of FSC codes if available for that particular head unit and be ready to go.
Appreciate 0