BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 125i M Sport almost here and question about N20 power curve

07-30-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
Mangusta
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport

Smile 125i M Sport almost here and question about N20 power curve

Hi all,

I ordered my car a few months ago. It has finally come into the country. Just waiting for it to get to the dealer.

I ordered mine in Alpine White with sport auto, adaptive suspension, business navigation, front and rear parking sensors and high beam assistant.

This is a great forum with lots of good information.

Had originally intended to get a 1 series coupe a few years ago but since the hatch is cheaper, now comes with really great turbo engines, and has the practicality of five doors, I couldn't go past it. The look has grown on me a lot over the last few months. I think it's the best looking hatch out there.

I have a question about the version of the N20 engine in the 125i in Australia. On the Australian BMW website it says power peaks at 5,000 rpm. On the UK and German websites it says 5,000 to 6,000 rpm, which is in accordance with some of the charts I have seen on the Internet. Interestingly, the Sweedish and Austrian websites express only the 5,000 rpm figure, like Australia. I'm thinking that it's just a matter of how the data has been expressed, rather than any tuning differences between countries. However it could be that the torque drops off more rapidly after 5,000 rpm in some country versions (not sure why this would or could be the case for any European countries but could be plausible in Australia due to our hot climate - I know VW/Audi sometimes detune engines for Australia). Is anyone able to confirm that the Australian version of the 125i is not detuned? And am I just being pedantic about the way the cars have been advertised here?
Appreciate 0