BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 118i M Sport LCI

04-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

118i M Sport LCI

Just picked up the wifes new car, upgrading from her Corsa after 10 years to a 118i M sport auto in EB

Really happy with the car, still being run in but is soo smooth, hopefully the MPG improves as it is around low 30's so far, but even if it doesn't, it isn't end of the world as her mileage is minimal.

Looks wise the car is much better in person than in pics, I was not so sure about the rear in the press pictures, but now I have seen it in person, looks amazing (didn't see one in the flesh until we picked ours up). What they can do with the lights now is nothing short of amazing, took some night pics to try and show, but I am not the best photographer. The LED DRL's look very mean, again in the pics don't show so well, think the refresh rate plays tricks with the digital camera.

A massive thumbs up to RiazC who sorted us out with a cracking deal, kept us informed all the way to delivery, car arrived on time and was great on collection day, much better than the typical Car sales staff IMO, would strongly recommend anyone looking for a new BMW in the UK to reach out to him.

for anyone looking at the LCI and any questions, please ask away, I haven't spent much time in the pre-LCI so probably cant do a decent comparison, however do have a F30 to compare with.

Last edited by Archer-s; 02-15-2016 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Looks great, I'll have to change my 116i to read 118i as this is the new 118i now. You're going to have a lot on fun with M Sport. Remember to have BMW log your car into BMW connect phone app.

You should average 40-45 miles per gallon just depends if you drive shorter or longer 10-20 mile runs.
      04-20-2015, 02:47 AM   #3
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Congrats
Very nice choice
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:50 AM   #4
yumyum
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels + 2

Nice car and pix, enjoy
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Looks great and I've seen you debadged it!
The only stupid thing is the new naming of petrol models: a pre facelift 118i is far superior to the new 118i! This is beyond my imagination how a project manager aproved this!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #6
Archer-s
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_DRFC View Post
Looks very nice, I get to pick mine up on Friday all being well.

For the number plates, do you know if its possible to stick them on rather than having them screwed in like you have on yours? Based of the pictures I cannot really see if this would be possible or not as I'm not sure if there is a groove that they sit on like on some other BMW cars.
Post some pics once it arrives, the back is recessed, but the front is just flat, you would still be able to mount with double sided pads, but if they are thick then the front would look silly. I would suggest a mounting plate or frame if you want the screwless look.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 01:15 AM   #7
Archer-s
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
Looks great and I've seen you debadged it!
The only stupid thing is the new naming of petrol models: a pre facelift 118i is far superior to the new 118i! This is beyond my imagination how a project manager aproved this!
Yes, didn't like the position of the badge at the rear.
I think BMW engines badges are going to be based on performance, and given the old 116d vs 116i 0-60, it's looks like they have tried to align them, but I don't think doing it on the facelift is the best time
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 01:17 AM   #8
Archer-s
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Looks great, I'll have to change my 116i to read 118i as this is the new 118i now. You're going to have a lot on fun with M Sport. Remember to have BMW log your car into BMW connect phone app.

You should average 40-45 miles per gallon just depends if you drive shorter or longer 10-20 mile runs.
Fingers crossed, it will be shorter runs, that's why we got the petrol over the diesel, I will be happy with anything near 40
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:00 AM   #9
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

It will take a couple of petrol tank fills for the milage to settle down. My car is around 6.5l-7.5l average and longer runs 5.6l on motorways but hilly long runs will be 7l-7.3l. Their is no way of getting BMW's milage.

5.6l/100km exchange units =mile per gallon(UK) 50.443024339286 mpg

7l/100km = mile per gallon(UK) 40.354419471429 mpg

Last edited by Kiwi; 04-22-2015 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:18 AM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
It will take a couple of petrol tank fills for the milage to settle down. My car is around 6.5l-7.5l average and longer runs 5.6l on motorways but hilly long runs will be 7l-7.3l. Their is no way of getting BMW's milage.
It depends on your speed. The F20 has rather lousy aerodynamics, so high speed driving costs a lot of energy. If you keep the speed around 50-80 km/h on a long drive, which suits Norwegian speed limits, you can get down to 5.0 L/100 km or maybe even lower.

I guess running on 245-tyres is not really helping either. A set of 7" wheels with 205 tyres in all corners, is probably better for both mileage and handling on low power F20s.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #11
Archer-s
Captain
Rep

7" wheels, will nick those off the wheel barrow

The Mrs barely accepted 18's, wanted 19's like mine, I think I may have rubbed off on her over the years! Kinda thing i would do, got my 403m wheels but don't think would sit right on the F20,

She is quite a gentle driver, so think she will get some decent MPG eventually, if not we still got the Corsa in the drive, lol
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #12
flyaway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: entry level M car,nothing more

Congrats on your new ride, just curious, what tires do they mount now on the staggered 18 M wheels, non M135i setup ? Thank you

P.S. Same question on the other LCI 1 series topic
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #13
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
It depends on your speed. The F20 has rather lousy aerodynamics, so high speed driving costs a lot of energy. If you keep the speed around 50-80 km/h on a long drive, which suits Norwegian speed limits, you can get down to 5.0 L/100 km or maybe even lower.

I guess running on 245-tyres is not really helping either. A set of 7" wheels with 205 tyres in all corners, is probably better for both mileage and handling on low power F20s.
Why would you drive a BMW slowly my latest 116i is only 2 weeks old with 600ks on the clock and doing between 6.9 -7.5 which I'm more than happy with. I can get down to 4.5 on the motorway at 110kph with my last two 116i's totally flat road on cruise.

The cost of petrol is not that expensive and if you drive like a nanny your fuel savings is small. You would also get a traffic ticket for driving too slow if more than 20ks under the speed limit as well abused by other drivers.
      04-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #14
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaway View Post
Congrats on your new ride, just curious, what tires do they mount now on the staggered 18 M wheels, non M135i setup ? Thank you

front 7.5 J x 18” with 225/40 R18 tyres, rear 8 J x 18” with 245/35 R18 tyres Snow chains cannot be fitted.
      04-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #15
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssond View Post
7" wheels, will nick those off the wheel barrow
7 inch wide, mind you.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #16
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Why would you drive a BMW slowly my latest 116i is only 2 weeks old with 600ks on the clock and doing between 6.9 -7.5 which I'm more than happy with. I can get down to 4.5 on the motorway at 110kph with my last two 116i's totally flat road on cruise.

The cost of petrol is not that expensive and if you drive like a nanny your fuel savings is small. You would also get a traffic ticket for driving too slow if more than 20ks under the speed limit as well abused by other drivers.
Well, in my country you are more likely to be fined for going OVER the speed limit, and if you don't, you will be driving slowly. Our limits are generally low.

I go to race tracks to go "fast".
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #17
waginen
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2019 AW M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssond View Post
Just picked up the wifes new car, upgrading from her Corsa after 10 years to a 118i M sport auto in EB

Really happy with the car, still being run in but is soo smooth, hopefully the MPG improves as it is around low 30's so far, but even if it doesn't, it isn't end of the world as her mileage is minimal.

Looks wise the car is much better in person than in pics, I was not so sure about the rear in the press pictures, but now I have seen it in person, looks amazing (didn't see one in the flesh until we picked ours up). What they can do with the lights now is nothing short of amazing, took some night pics to try and show, but I am not the best photographer. The LED DRL's look very mean, again in the pics don't show so well, think the refresh rate plays tricks with the digital camera.

A massive thumbs up to RiazC who sorted us out with a cracking deal, kept us informed all the way to delivery, car arrived on time and was great on collection day, much better than the typical Car sales staff IMO, would strongly recommend anyone looking for a new BMW in the UK to reach out to him.

for anyone looking at the LCI and any questions, please ask away, I haven't spent much time in the pre-LCI so probably cant do a decent comparison, however do have a F30 to compare with.
Thanks! Waiting for almost exactly the same one...just some minor changes. Have never seen lci in EB and m sport so i am happy you like it even more in person. Looking forward to the small brother of my EB 328i.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #18
MRP0isson
Rep
Drives: TBC

Hi there, congrats on the car purchase - looks sweet.

Looking at ordering the same motor for the better half but a little confused on the options if you can help.

It now appears that climate control is an optional extra? If so did you spec it?

Also rear PDC's are an extra and come with servotroinc steering - again dos you spec? If not is the standard steering ok?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 03:06 AM   #19
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Well, in my country you are more likely to be fined for going OVER the speed limit, and if you don't, you will be driving slowly. Our limits are generally low.

I go to race tracks to go "fast".
When I was part of the Olympics in Lillehammer our official Volvos we were driven around in didn't drive slow.
      04-24-2015, 06:10 AM   #20
Archer-s
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaway View Post

ours came with bridgestone RFTs, but think the tyre brand is a bit pot luck
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 06:33 AM   #21
Archer-s
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRP0isson View Post
Hi there, congrats on the car purchase - looks sweet.

Looking at ordering the same motor for the better half but a little confused on the options if you can help.

It now appears that climate control is an optional extra? If so did you spec it?

Also rear PDC's are an extra and come with servotroinc steering - again dos you spec? If not is the standard steering ok?

Thanks in advance
so the spec for UK m sport comes with rear sensors as std, and there is now 2 levels of climate control, basic and enhanced.

we added the 2 comfort packs, which gave us:
extended lighting
upgraded climate
auto diming rear view
servotronic steering
rear parking sensors (although these are already in the base)
cruise control

and then the following above this:
heated front seats
front parking sensors (added to the driver comfort pack)
model + badge deletion (the rear badge is in an awkward place IMO)

For the upgrade climate you get dual zone, and the little temp control under the vents in the center (I love this feature), this is the main reason we went for this. Again didn't try the basic, but I expect this works just fine.

As for the steering, we didn't drive a F20 without servo, however my F30 doesn't have it, and it is a little on the heavy side, servo makes it lighter in comfort, which is good for lots of town driving. This would very much be down to personal preference.

for the wife's car, the only item extra I think we should have ordered is the sun protection pack, but not the end of the world.

the other options we considered was pro nav, liked the fact it has live traffic, if you drive through a city to work, then traffic updates can save you days over a year by avoiding traffic jams, however the BMW system is not as accurate as tom tom, so we have a tom tom stuck on her screen. we tested both systems pro nav in my car, and tom tom in her car, and tom tom was much better, you just need to trust it and not think you are smarter.

if it was my car I would have also added a bigger stereo, the std one is just about ok, I probably would have gone M Sport plus pack.

then finally if you do lots of night driving the adaptive lights and dimming wing mirrors are excellent.

let me know if you have any other questions about options, don't forget the auto box, if you haven't yet make sure you test drive one.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #22
MRP0isson
Rep
Drives: TBC

Thanks for a thorough response- much appreciated. From the pic it looks as though the basic climate is pretty manual and I can't see an auto button - for me I like to set at 22 auto and leave it indefinitely and just toggle the hot/cold flow switch now and again. (I've a f30 m sport)

Our budget is pretty low so not much options to choose from but defiantly want the sun protection glass and climate. The ambient lighting would be nice.

Regarding auto @ 1.5k for a small engine; I'm struggling to justify. Mine is an auto so any long journeys we can swap. I actually find it a nice change to drive a manual now and again.

The only other option I'm undecided on is the steering. We test drove one with Servotronic so would be keen to know if the upgrade is worth it.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0