BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Sunrise PHOTOSHOOT & REVIEW: 2016 Mercedes-Benz Steel Grey CLS400

12-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #1
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Hey everyone! As some of you may know, I started a thread a while ago regarding a new car for my dad since the lease expired on his 2013 SL550. He's getting older, doesn't drive too much, and didn't want/need a 2-door roadster... so he ended up with a 2016 CLS400, loaded with every option minus the airmatic suspension and driver assist. Me, being selfish, was pushing for the 550 (crazy powerful twin turbo V8), but while the MSRP was only about $2k more, due to different money factors on the lease, you can't get one, similarly optioned, for less than $3-400/month more which is NOT in any way worth it... [probably why almost no dealers have the 550s, only 400s and the CLS63 AMG (a whole different MONSTER)].

[TL: DR]: Love the exterior styling; power is surprisingly good from the TT V6!; interior is last gen and a bit disappointing. Photos below!

Overall
Pros:
-exterior styling, including AMG wheels, spoiler, etc
-AMG steering wheel
-pleasantly surprising power out of the twin-turbo V6 even in a heavy car
-comfort
-technology

Cons:
-E class interior (old)
-ECO mode (have to manually shut it off every time the car starts)
-transmission (although it is getting better!)
-exhaust (lack there of)

Basic specs:
-3.0L twin turbo V6 producing 329 horsepower and 354lb/ft of torque paired to a 7 speed automatic transmission. Curb weight around 4000lbs. 0-60 in about 5 seconds.

---

I have to say that I am really pleasantly surprised by the power this car has. I honestly thought it was going to be slow vs. the 550, but it has good power and torque, plus it is lighter and more balanced than the V8 empowered 550. My dad and I had it tinted (20% sides, 5% rear window) the day after he got it, and I debadged the car myself.

The car is also extremely comfortable and the engine and brakes are extremely smooth. The exterior styling and Mercedes full LED lights are striking. The car has great lines, and like BMW's Mineral Grey, the Steel Grey matches this car perfectly. I love the body style so much, I would seriously considered a CLS63 AMG above everything else in its class if I had the money. The car is a BEAST.

The technology is also top notch, as expected from Mercedes. Lane tracking, 180 and 360 degree cameras, and the new COMMAND system is much improved (although I still prefer iDrive).

On the negative side, I hate the fact that you can't have the car start without the ECO start/stop function being active. The transmission is still also slow, and I rarely find myself shifting gears myself with the paddles. While upshifts are quick, downshifts really do take a second or so (it's hard coming from the instant DCT). That being said, the steering wheel itself is superb, meatier than my M3 with better grip/feel (not steering feel, but the actual feel of the wheel itself!)

In addition, there really is no exhaust note to the car. Coming from my M3, the car *almost* sounds electric... (for many this is actually a pro, the car is superbly quiet both inside and out).

Finally, I will say that I am a bit disappointed in the interior compared to other Mercedes. It does have a pretty boring E class interior... and it will be one of the last cars to change to the new interior. It is still extremely comfortable, the quality of materials is top notch, and the leather is great, but coming from the SL, there is a BIG difference in the appointments of the car (dashboard, speedometer, air vents, door locks, etc). I am also disappointed that there is no option for HUD or any technology of that sort. After seeing the 2017 E-class interior, I am even more disappointed in the CLS'.

---

I'm sure this is the part you've all been waiting for, so here are the photos!! If I forgot anything in the review, or you have any questions, please ask! Overall consensus: the car is GREAT, and perfect for someone like my dad!

And for those who might be wondering, (since it's been bothering me too!) this weekend, I'm taking this CLS and my M3 to get washed and will have a small photoshoot to determine which grey is better (mineral or steel) or if they are in fact, basically the same color!

---

---

And it may just be fitting... my dad was one of the first to have the CLS500 in 2006 when it debuted!

And a shot of the outgoing 2013 Designo Matte Grey SL550:
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust

Last edited by SaMaster14; 12-16-2015 at 02:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-13-2015, 11:42 PM   #2
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

The interior on the 12-14 CLS is better than the new one. Hate the iPad looking dash thing. Nice car though, looking for CLS550 for my dad.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2015, 01:10 AM   #3
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz
The interior on the 12-14 CLS is better than the new one. Hate the iPad looking dash thing. Nice car though, looking for CLS550 for my dad.
Definitely agree about the interior. I think even the first gen CLS had a beautiful and unique interior... I'm left wanting more inside the new one. I will say that with all of the options checked, the exterior is gorgeous and top notch.

Good luck with the cls for your dad!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 01:39 AM   #4
DaveChapin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M; 2014 911 TTS

The rear looks like a Toyota Solara, just doesn't work for me.
The side sheet metal is schizophrenic of new and old design priorities.
The front is quite nice.
The dash is overly busy w/ too many control styles; and the infotainment screen seems forced into a place it doesn't belong.
Rest of the interior looks good though.

I actually preferred the clean lines of the original CLS exterior.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 01:53 AM   #5
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Definitely agree about the interior. I think even the first gen CLS had a beautiful and unique interior... I'm left wanting more inside the new one. I will say that with all of the options checked, the exterior is gorgeous and top notch.

Good luck with the cls for your dad!
The ipad dash looking thing seems like one of those things that in 5-10 years people will look at it and say "wtf were they thinking putting that in the car?"

The new S-class interior is just incredible though...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

iPad navs are just the worst. I can't see why Mercedes-Benz, a brand that should produce classy cars, would ever do that. They don't even try to blend it in. And the tacky infotainment fonts? Come on!

I don't like the chrome strips on the AMG bumpers - I'd paint it grey.

That said, I love the styling of the CLS. Even though the old one was a bit better looking, C218 (especially 63 AMG) is still a sexy machine.

Congrats.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChapin View Post
The rear looks like a Toyota Solara, just doesn't work for me.
The side sheet metal is schizophrenic of new and old design priorities.
The front is quite nice.
The dash is overly busy w/ too many control styles; and the infotainment screen seems forced into a place it doesn't belong.
Rest of the interior looks good though.

I actually preferred the clean lines of the original CLS exterior.
I really don't see any Toyota in the rear, and personally I think the exterior lines are wonderful on the car... I just think the interior, being very current gen E class, doesn't match the quality of the exterior (which is more a mix between the E and the S). I know that Mercedes obviously makes its money reusing materials, but it would have been nice if the CLS had a unique interior (as the first gen did!) somewhere in between the E and the S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
The ipad dash looking thing seems like one of those things that in 5-10 years people will look at it and say "wtf were they thinking putting that in the car?"

The new S-class interior is just incredible though...
Totally agree, while when driving I don't think it's noticeable, when you are a passenger it just seems to be in the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
iPad navs are just the worst. I can't see why Mercedes-Benz, a brand that should produce classy cars, would ever do that. They don't even try to blend it in. And the tacky infotainment fonts? Come on!

I don't like the chrome strips on the AMG bumpers - I'd paint it grey.

That said, I love the styling of the CLS. Even though the old one was a bit better looking, C218 (especially 63 AMG) is still a sexy machine.

Congrats.
Thanks!

It's funny... I've never liked chrome (immediately took almost all of the chrome bits off my M3), but I think it kinda works on the Benz... It gives it just that little extra bit of contrast it needs.

The COMMAND system is definitely still lacking... Idrive blows it out of the water imo. And still surprised there is no HUD option for this car...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #8
DaveChapin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M; 2014 911 TTS

Quote:
I really don't see any Toyota in the rear, and personally I think the exterior lines are wonderful on the car...
I see a lot of Solara here...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChapin
Quote:
I really don't see any Toyota in the rear, and personally I think the exterior lines are wonderful on the car...
I see a lot of Solara here...
Sure the shape of the tail lights are similar... But that's about it. The lines of the cars' rears are completely different. The rear is clearly Mercedes-esq and in line with their current fleet, no question. The shape hasn't changed much at all from the first gen CLS on a whole.

I really don't think anyone seeing the car in person is going to be saying 'oh wow, that Toyota looks good... Oh wait, it's a Mercedes?!?' The only people I assume who would even think to make the comparison are the people like us (~1% of drivers?) who are true car enthusiast and scrutinizers of detail. I surely never even thought about it when the new CLS was released.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 04:34 PM   #10
mike@Vossen
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great shots, beautiful CLS!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #11
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@Vossen
Great shots, beautiful CLS!
Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #12
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

It's very nice, if it was the 550 would you still have debaged? I personally think a debadged car cheapens the look
      12-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #13
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3
It's very nice, if it was the 550 would you still have debaged? I personally think a debadged car cheapens the look
Yes, my dad has always debadged. The chrome on the back on one side really looks unbalanced and he likes proportions. He debadged the cls500 and the sl550 before this one. I've never cared, although I did black out the badging on my 335is, the M3 I leave since its 'special' and 'different'

I think it does the opposite of cheapen, if anything it does nothing at all to the look of the car. To each his own.
Appreciate 0