BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M140i Metallic click when reversing and applying brakes.

02-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
Ben M140i
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Question M140i Metallic click when reversing and applying brakes.

Before I start. Great forum, enjoying learning about my first BMW. Hopefully someone reads this and can help me out in my quest for knowledge.

I have recently bought an M140i, which I can say has made me very very happy . After approx. 1500 miles its started to click from the front of the car after reversing when I apply the brakes. It also does it when I apply the brakes after moving forwards, but I have to reverse then brake first, and vice versa. I'll post a video/sound clip of the noise after I next drive it. Which to be fair is in about 15 mins cos I can't stay out of it. The torque from the B58 engine is just so satisfying in a reasonable small and light car. I'm hooked on BMW's after just one test drive!!!

Any ideas? I will of course visit the dealership, but I like to be clued up first.

Also, I have read about an idling issue on the B58 engine in the M140i/240i & M340i that has been solved with a firmware update to the vehicles that have the shudder. I have had this a few times after cold starts and when getting up to normal running temp. I thought originally that it would just be because of the state of tune the engine is in, and maybe the cam timing suited the high red line. But it has Vanos etc. Again, any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm an NPI engineer, so feel free to go all techy on my ass. I appreciate you guys know more than me here!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
Ben M140i
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M140i View Post
Before I start. Great forum, enjoying learning about my first BMW. Hopefully someone reads this and can help me out in my quest for knowledge.

I have recently bought an M140i, which I can say has made me very very happy . After approx. 1500 miles its started to click from the front of the car after reversing when I apply the brakes. It also does it when I apply the brakes after moving forwards, but I have to reverse then brake first, and vice versa. I'll post a video/sound clip of the noise after I next drive it. Which to be fair is in about 15 mins cos I can't stay out of it. The torque from the B58 engine is just so satisfying in a reasonable small and light car. I'm hooked on BMW's after just one test drive!!!

Any ideas? I will of course visit the dealership, but I like to be clued up first.

Also, I have read about an idling issue on the B58 engine in the M140i/240i & M340i that has been solved with a firmware update to the vehicles that have the shudder. I have had this a few times after cold starts and when getting up to normal running temp. I thought originally that it would just be because of the state of tune the engine is in, and maybe the cam timing suited the high red line. But it has Vanos etc. Again, any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm an NPI engineer, so feel free to go all techy on my ass. I appreciate you guys know more than me here!

Thanks
Just realised I talk so much sh*t!!! Haha
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 12:51 AM   #3
GeeZee_SKG
Enlisted Member
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 118i (MY2011)

Should be brake pads hitting calipers when releasing. Have the same on my mperformance brakes since installment. 8k miles down the road performance is solid yet clicking sound is still there. Brake pad paste could be the answer.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

sounds like ball joints/ control arms.

if it doesnt affect driveability, dont worry about it.
Appreciate 0