BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Announces Digital Key Support for iPhone to Lock, Unlock, Drive and Share Keys

06-22-2020, 09:09 PM   #45
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bin01123 View Post
I hear you but do you really think this will work with an E39?
Why would it? The press release says those models that are produced after July 2020.
      06-22-2020, 09:26 PM   #46
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

So you still have to have the key for valet, non tech parents, dealership visits and such... then add the times I don't drive with my phone. Seems like its just going to be another tech feature used a few times then forgotten...
      06-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #47
GarlicBread
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Cmtl View Post
So you still have to have the key for valet, non tech parents, dealership visits and such... then add the times I don't drive with my phone. Seems like its just going to be another tech feature used a few times then forgotten...
I feel like you're reaching for something to complain about here....
Appreciate 5
RR-NYC153.00
soheil64.50
omasou2079.50
Ibiza3480.00
PABrian149.50
      06-22-2020, 10:05 PM   #48
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicBread View Post
I feel like you're reaching for something to complain about here....
I think he's just saying it may be more of a gimmick type upgrade...which I can't really disagree with. Don't get me wrong, I still want it lol but like the key card, I've only used that twice and it's supposed to be super convenient.
      06-22-2020, 10:45 PM   #49
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

I don't care for this crap. My 3 year old iphone no longer works with my '18 M3, Carplay doesn't connect and even simple BT is very spotty. this happened after an update about 6 months back... After much back and forth Apple told me to get a new phone as the solution really I don't want a new phone. Guess what I don't want Carplay. Just imagine not being able to open your car because your phone is dead or an iOS bug causing your door to constantly lock and unlock or worse someone hacking your phone and opening your car.

Maybe it's just me but if I wanted a rolling gadget on 4 wheels I'd buy a Japanese car or Tesla, the ultimate driving machine needs to do one thing for me, drive like the ultimate driving machine.
DML967.50
J-RO2078.00
      06-22-2020, 11:17 PM   #50
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Quote:
Or one that hackers will be able to exploit.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:18 PM   #51
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

It would be nice if BMW responded with a basic reason as to why cars with the (supposedly) required hardware fitted cannot use this new feature just because it missed the 1 July build date.

I would be furious if I had a late June built car for example lol. My partners car is one, but she's an android user so doesn't bother her lol.

At least I had 3 months before my M340i got its planned obsolescence for NFC 😂. I'm still pretty annoyed but then again such a small thing in an otherwise great car.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:23 PM   #52
lilstevie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
It would be nice if BMW responded with a basic reason as to why cars with the (supposedly) required hardware fitted cannot use this new feature just because it missed the 1 July build date.

I would be furious if I had a late June built car for example lol. My partners car is one, but she's an android user so doesn't bother her lol.

At least I had 3 months before my M340i got its planned obsolescence for NFC 😂. I'm still pretty annoyed but then again such a small thing in an otherwise great car.
My car is a June 5th build and yeah I’m a little annoyed, but at least it wasn’t scheduled for build between now and July 1st. I’m an iPhone user too, so it does burn a bit. I’m hoping that whatever it is can be done, whether it’s coding or even retrofitting the hardware
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 11:26 PM   #53
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstevie View Post
My car is a June 5th build and yeah I'm a little annoyed, but at least it wasn't scheduled for build between now and July 1st. I'm an iPhone user too, so it does burn a bit. I'm hoping that whatever it is can be done, whether it's coding or even retrofitting the hardware
You have every right to be annoyed! If it can be done with software (and by the way anything can be done with software if the right hardware is there) then it should be rolled out as a remote software update.

Feels like BMW are being lazy and/or planning obsolescence
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:32 PM   #54
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:

The biggest problem for them is Tesla has made adding features over the cars lifespan a luxury feature. I don’t know how much longer BMW can keep it up. The only thing Tesla seems to be lacking is interior quality. I can see that gap closing.

I thought iDrive 7 was their attempt to finally compete. A unified platform across their cars they can deliver new features to over time. It is looking like they are far from the mark.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 11:33 PM   #55
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
Another BS Apple feature to sell new models of Iphone...an old Iphone with NFC feature should be able to unlock a car as we already use it to pay with it!
It's any iPhone that supports Apple Pay....not sure what you're complaining about?
Appreciate 2
PABrian149.50
      06-22-2020, 11:34 PM   #56
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

Wonderful my 2021 x3m being left out again...no cloud maps, no advanced driver assistance features, now no phone key
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 11:39 PM   #57
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
The biggest problem for them is Tesla has made adding features over the cars lifespan a luxury feature. I don't know how much longer BMW can keep it up. The only thing Tesla seems to be lacking is interior quality. I can see that gap closing.

I thought iDrive 7 was their attempt to finally compete. A unified platform across their cars they can deliver new features to over time. It is looking like they are far from the mark.
Precisely this! Looks like BMW are retreating back to old planned obsolescence habits. Lack of innovation always stifles a company's future.

Think of all the Tesla's sold worldwide that would have otherwise been BMW/Merc/Audi etc sales had they not existed. In years to come, Tesla will continue to grow and the incumbents lose market share due to their old ways.

What's the best way for us all to collectively or individually give feedback to BMW? Enough so they actually do something about it!
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2020, 11:44 PM   #58
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
While this is totally wishful, I think they just mean July 2020 build will work from the factory and that the rest of us will just have to wait for a remote software upgrade which will be available sometime after that.

According to the BMW website, you only need Comfort Access (SA 322) and Connected Drive Services (SA 6AE).

BUT the list of compatible iPhones and Watch are all ones that have the U1 chip in it (not sure if the iPhone XS has it). This could mean there's additional hardware in the car to support it that we currently do not have, even with the current digital key. Having said that, you use the Car Key feature just like the way android works so I don't get how you need the U1.

It's all very annoying not getting a clear answer. And BMW are pretty rich to not consider rolling this out somehow to existing cars with NFC. At least charge us or something!
The XS/Max/XR do NOT have UWB (U1 chip). It is what allows such precise positioning that you can safely determine the phone near the car is the one paired, so you don't have to pull it out of your pocket. Non UWB devices need to be held close to the handle and placed on the charging pad, they function just like the digital keycard - NFC, but will not support the keyless 3.0 spec -- that requires UWB hardware.

The question is, to support UWB, will >07/20 prod have new hardware w/ UWB? If not, there's no practical reason for previous build months to be denied the feature. If yes, fine, but give it to us and just limit it to the consortium's 2.0 spec, like the Androids do now.
PABrian149.50
      06-22-2020, 11:47 PM   #59
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
The XS/Max/XR do NOT have UWB (U1 chip). It is what allows such precise positioning that you can safely determine the phone near the car is the one paired, so you don't have to pull it out of your pocket. Non UWB devices need to be held close to the handle and placed on the charging pad, they function just like the digital keycard - NFC, but will not support the keyless 3.0 spec -- that requires UWB hardware.

The question is, to support UWB, will >07/20 prod have new hardware w/ UWB? If not, there's no practical reason for previous build months to be denied the feature. If yes, fine, but give it to us and just limit it to the consortium's 2.0 spec, like the Androids do now.
Yeah exactly, and they state that the XS & XS max are supported so therefore BMW wouldn't need or necessarily have any new hardware to work with iPhone.

You're totally right, why can't they just give us 2.0 spec at the very least given android does it. Just doesn't make sense
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:51 PM   #60
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Yeah exactly, and they state that the XS & XS max are supported so therefore BMW wouldn't need or necessarily have any new hardware to work with iPhone.

You're totally right, why can't they just give us 2.0 spec at the very least given android does it. Just doesn't make sense
Exactly, if nothing else, limit us to what the physical hardware of the car can support. Don't say no for the hell of it. That said, I do wonder if there's any UWB at play already, given the movement sensors in the fob and the approach/leave auto unlock/lock functionality. Could just be relying on signal strength of the fob itself and basing the decision to lock or unlock on that.
      06-23-2020, 12:53 AM   #61
lilstevie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i5

Quote:
You have every right to be annoyed! If it can be done with software (and by the way anything can be done with software if the right hardware is there) then it should be rolled out as a remote software update.

Feels like BMW are being lazy and/or planning obsolescence
Don’t get me wrong, I am a bit, I honestly thought when it showed up in the iOS betas that’s it should just work given they all showed the i8 but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it is what it is, hopefully it can be coded
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      06-23-2020, 01:36 AM   #62
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Godammit technology is moving too rapidly.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 01:38 AM   #63
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSimma335 View Post
I'm very confused as to how this is more convenient. Now my fob never leaves my pocket. I can lock, unlock and start my cars without ever taking something out of my pocket. I rarely even take my phone out of my pocket unless it really needs to be charged. Why would I want to have to constantly take my phone out, unlock it with Face ID, place it near the door handle then put it in the wireless charger to start the car? Then I have to remember to take it with me every time. Do you know how many times I would leave it in the car when the car was parked in the garage since I don't have lock it? I'd rather they design cases for phones that act like the fob so I can carry my phone only (no fob) the phone never has to leave my pocket either.

Unless this is using Face ID as an additional security feature. But it is not more convenient.
It's another way of doing it.
But above all, it is a Security thingy and while it seldom happens.
You can give a family member a «key», while not beeing at the same place as your car, and above all, for car sharing purposes.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 01:40 AM   #64
soheil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Tesla is able to deliver updates and RSU was designed to counter this perception. If BMW drops the ball it won't help them win over customers who are deflecting to Tesla.
Believe me, this won't be the only reason people choose Tesla over BMW (and I say this as an i3 owner)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 01:48 AM   #65
soheil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So don't use it...
Appreciate 1
PABrian149.50
      06-23-2020, 01:51 AM   #66
soheil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSimma335 View Post
I'm very confused as to how this is more convenient. Now my fob never leaves my pocket. I can lock, unlock and start my cars without ever taking something out of my pocket. I rarely even take my phone out of my pocket unless it really needs to be charged. Why would I want to have to constantly take my phone out, unlock it with Face ID, place it near the door handle then put it in the wireless charger to start the car? Then I have to remember to take it with me every time. Do you know how many times I would leave it in the car when the car was parked in the garage since I don't have lock it? I'd rather they design cases for phones that act like the fob so I can carry my phone only (no fob) the phone never has to leave my pocket either.

Unless this is using Face ID as an additional security feature. But it is not more convenient.
Completely agree with you about inconvenience when unlocking with iPhone but what about Apple Watch? Can you imagine just moving your hand close to the handle, maybe even touching inside of it and the door opening? Oh, wait...
Appreciate 0