BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M135i F20 - switching from H&R sport springs to Birds B1 springs

11-09-2015, 05:59 AM   #1
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

M135i F20 - switching from H&R sport springs to Birds B1 springs

My adaptively damped car had its springs changed recently.

I now have Birds b1 springs to compliment the Birds ARBS, Quaife LSD, and M4 LCA's.

The point and squirt handling & feel of H&R remains and the ride is marginally less firm.

Springs are still settling but here's some photos

Car at Birds with H&Rs

Car with B1 springs a few days later

B1 close ups - front with LCAs

B1 rear

Rear is settling ride height wise as arch gap was bigger when it was 1st done.

BP
      11-13-2015, 04:48 AM   #2
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

H&Rs look pretty good. I've always been a fan of H&Rs. Which option do you prefer?
      11-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

yes - the squat mean stance of H&Rs with M4 LCAs at the front did look good and drove really well. Alas it was too low for me when my work location meant a different commute not best suited to a low rider.

I'm happy with Birds B1 springs as they do everything the H&Rs did but with raised stance.
      11-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
Maciej@auto-Dynamics.pl
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ideally lowered BMW :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Bit of an update.

Before winter really takes hold, I have spent more time with my Birds B1 chassis car between comfort and sport+ than I ever did with H&Rs.

I loved the low stance of and the steering feel with the H&Rs and so I was tad ho-hum about the higher stance with the B1s. The springs have settled and I'm happy with how the car sits and there steering feel and response is equal or better in sport+.

The ride height increase of B1's means adaptive dampers are influencing the ride and handling more, than with H&Rs, and theres less dependency on BMWs 2nd damper system (Bumpstops to you and I). Not that H&Rs bottomed out but the contribution of adaptive damping was less with H&Rs than it is now.

B1 springs (combined with B1 ARBs) keep the front keen and rear tight, irrespective of the damper mode selected. Ride in comfort is improved and in sport+ any hint of underdamping is gone as the cars responses sharpen up nicely.

The traction was good before, thanks to quaife LSD but now car is more tolerant of road surface flaws and variations meaning you can be more liberal putting JB4'd power down.

I've yet to take the car on a track day with this setup although toying with signing up to PH session at Goodwood 12 Dec but might have winter boots and map 2 or 4 on by then.

As steering feels tauter and both traction and ride are more usable on the road, I'm spending more time in sport+.

Finally, a chum has just bought a passively damped m235i so we have played with both cars back to back. I agree with C'mans comparison m135i v m235i, stock m235i rides and handles better than I recall my m135i when it was new. The tables turn with B1 springs and m4 LCAs as we both preferred the steering feel and tighter helm on my car. My chum is likely to put m4 LCAs on his car once spring has sprung next year.

BP
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #6
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Do you have the part numbers for the M4 LCA that is required? I like the idea of this.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Way,

Yes.

The M3/M4 Front Lower control arms with the following part numbers:

Left: 31122284529
Right: 31122284530
Regulating rod 37142283867 - you just need the ball joint / nut assembly at the bottom end of regulating rod to attach to existing f2x regulating rod.

BP
      11-28-2015, 07:09 AM   #8
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Way,

Yes.

The M3/M4 Front Lower control arms with the following part numbers:

Left: 31122284529
Right: 31122284530
Regulating rod 37142283867 - you just need the ball joint / nut assembly at the bottom end of regulating rod to attach to existing f2x regulating rod.

BP
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
EM58NDS 135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M135i

Do these M3/M4 LCAs fit all F20/F21 models or just the M135i?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 07:21 AM   #10
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM58NDS 135i View Post
Do these M3/M4 LCAs fit all F20/F21 models or just the M135i?
Should fit all models running 18" wheels but you need to check clearance of LCAs on 17" and less diameter alloy wheels
      12-01-2015, 03:13 AM   #11
schaeffs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee
Bit of an update.

Before winter really takes hold, I have spent more time with my Birds B1 chassis car between comfort and sport+ than I ever did with H&Rs.

I loved the low stance of and the steering feel with the H&Rs and so I was tad ho-hum about the higher stance with the B1s. The springs have settled and I'm happy with how the car sits and there steering feel and response is equal or better in sport+.

The ride height increase of B1's means adaptive dampers are influencing the ride and handling more, than with H&Rs, and theres less dependency on BMWs 2nd damper system (Bumpstops to you and I). Not that H&Rs bottomed out but the contribution of adaptive damping was less with H&Rs than it is now.

B1 springs (combined with B1 ARBs) keep the front keen and rear tight, irrespective of the damper mode selected. Ride in comfort is improved and in sport+ any hint of underdamping is gone as the cars responses sharpen up nicely.

The traction was good before, thanks to quaife LSD but now car is more tolerant of road surface flaws and variations meaning you can be more liberal putting JB4'd power down.

I've yet to take the car on a track day with this setup although toying with signing up to PH session at Goodwood 12 Dec but might have winter boots and map 2 or 4 on by then.

As steering feels tauter and both traction and ride are more usable on the road, I'm spending more time in sport+.

Finally, a chum has just bought a passively damped m235i so we have played with both cars back to back. I agree with C'mans comparison m135i v m235i, stock m235i rides and handles better than I recall my m135i when it was new. The tables turn with B1 springs and m4 LCAs as we both preferred the steering feel and tighter helm on my car. My chum is likely to put m4 LCAs on his car once spring has sprung next year.

BP
BP - I think you need to compare an LCI M135i with the M235i - I am well impressed with the LCI suspension bog standard (admittedly running 19" 405M wheels) - it's planted and grip is fantastic. The only real issue for me is the rebound rates on the dampers which need to be tuned.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 03:48 AM   #12
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaeffs View Post
BP - I think you need to compare an LCI M135i with the M235i - I am well impressed with the LCI suspension bog standard (admittedly running 19" 405M wheels) - it's planted and grip is fantastic. The only real issue for me is the rebound rates on the dampers which need to be tuned.
Do you find the rebound too soft or too stiff? Do you have the regular or adaptive dampers?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 03:54 AM   #13
schaeffs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam
Quote:
Do you find the rebound too soft or too stiff? Do you have the regular or adaptive dampers?
Adaptive.

I think it's a little soft - let me explain. When you go over a sharp speed bump at any speed you get a proper thump from the suspension as it drops back down. This manifests itself at speed with a similar issue (not a full on thump like you get over the speed bump but a feeling like the car skips a bit, losing brief contact with the road) if you hit broken pavement.

I think it needs to be slightly stiffer to fix this. The trade off is you get a massive amount of grip which is great for an open diff car to have...

Also adding that the initial travel is excellent - and gives a real sense of security in handling
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 04:05 AM   #14
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I am running the regular M Sport suspension on the 116i, which I assume is slightly softer sprung. Coming from Bilstein setups of the previous cars, I find the rebound rate to be spot on, but I would prefer slightly stiffer compression. It feels like the car bottoms out too easily.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 04:29 AM   #15
schaeffs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam
I am running the regular M Sport suspension on the 116i, which I assume is slightly softer sprung. Coming from Bilstein setups of the previous cars, I find the rebound rate to be spot on, but I would prefer slightly stiffer compression. It feels like the car bottoms out too easily.
It's funny how everyone has different likes on suspension. I actually love the initial turn in feel the car gives you - it's sharp and the roll is beautifully judged. It feels like another car I used to own - an Alpina B3 - and it's spot on for UK roads. Rebound for me feels soft - I'd prefer that was sharper but I guess l it would also make the car edgier (which I'd prefer) but would not perhaps be to the cars target market.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #16
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
It's funny how everyone has different likes on suspension. I actually love the initial turn in feel the car gives you - it's sharp and the roll is beautifully judged. It feels like another car I used to own - an Alpina B3 - and it's spot on for UK roads. Rebound for me feels soft - I'd prefer that was sharper but I guess l it would also make the car edgier (which I'd prefer) but would not perhaps be to the cars target market.
I guess your low profile 19" setup adds a bit to the edginess. For me, predictable grip is more important. I will give up some steering response to make the car flow nicely at the limit. If the car gets too darty, I don't feel comfortable pushing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #17
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not ridden in an LCI m135i so can't comment. Nothing hints at any changes from pre LCI in terms of hardware so would be curious know what's changed. Have read that LCI rear end gets out of kilter on bumpy uk roads at anything above 6-7/10ths.

That was one of the reason I chose to invest in upgrading my cars chassis.

The result is an m135i's that rides, grips, steers and handles better than m235i so won't be reverting it back to standard anytime soon !