BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Factory Reset CIC iDrive? CD/Multimedia stuck on CD "Checking..."

01-08-2023, 01:07 PM   #1
matv99
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 1 Series 120d MSport

Angry Factory Reset CIC iDrive? CD/Multimedia stuck on CD "Checking..."

Hi,

So for context, I have a 120d from 2013 with the CIC (small screen/no nav).

Until the other day, all was working fine. I went to turn on my car and play music via the aux (actually via a Android display, which uses the AUX - I have debugged and the issue persists when only the original small screen is installed with original harness etc...). And... no audio

I see that CD/Multimedia are separate from 'Radio' and so I checked the radio, this works just fine indicating that everything is essentially just fine.

So today, I used a CD and tried to play a CD as opposed to the AUX. But when clicking on the CD/Multimedia > CD menu, I'm left with a blank screen which just says "Checking...".

It seems as though the software has bugged out and because the HU is trying to discover a CD which does not exist and is stuck doing so - I need to hard reset my head unit. This is because this should reset the system which is trying to "check" for a CD.

The problem is, holding the volume knob for 30 seconds does not work. Holding the volume and mode buttons for 30 seconds also does not work. Holding the volume and the eject buttons also does not work. So in terms of pressing buttons to hard reset/reboot the HU does not work !

So my questions here is:
  1. Has anyone had an issue like this before?
  2. Is there any way to hard-reboot the CIC HU without pressing buttons? Unplugging the unit completely for 20 minutes didn't work, and so I assume unpluggin the car battery would also not work (I am yet to try this)?

I would be so grateful for any help on this, and I will be sure (if I find a solution in the interim) to update this post to help anyone in the future!

Thank you,

Mathew
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 05:50 AM   #2
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

Have you actually inserted a CD or checked in case one is stuck inside?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 04:17 AM   #3
matv99
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJO View Post
Have you actually inserted a CD or checked in case one is stuck inside?
Yes, so my first thought was to try this as you would expect the system to “recheck”.

Unfortunately with multiple CDs, trying inserting a CD, turning the car off and on etc… does not work. It’s always stuck on checking… from the moment the car is turned on.

I know for a fact a hard reboot would work, I’m going to be trying to unplug the battery for 20 mins or so today to power cycle this way and see if this works - will update this post if it does.

But I’m doubtful, as it seems to be some sort of error. I think I said, I also tried doing new updates etc… but nothing worked what-so-ever.

If only there was another way to hard reboot - as this always used to solve any iDrive related issue. I just can’t understand why the normal hard reboot method won’t work.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 05:02 AM   #4
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe the CD drive has failed?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 05:05 AM   #5
matv99
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJO View Post
Maybe the CD drive has failed?
Absolutely a possibility, this is the only thing I’d be able to put it down to if this thing with the battery doesn’t work.

But thanks for helping! As I’m tempted to just order a new head unit online, I’d assume it’s just plug and play if I get the same unit?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 02:07 PM   #6
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matv99 View Post
Absolutely a possibility, this is the only thing I’d be able to put it down to if this thing with the battery doesn’t work.

But thanks for helping! As I’m tempted to just order a new head unit online, I’d assume it’s just plug and play if I get the same unit?
The head unit will need coding. I believe that the vin is stored so you either need a brand new one (££££££s) or find someone to virginise a used one and then having it coded.

(too many ecus on BMWs!)
Appreciate 0