BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > ppf or not???

03-16-2023, 10:56 AM   #89
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Oh yea it won't be a massive cost on top of full PPF for sure. I was quoted $800 as opposed to the usual $1200-$1500 that they typically charge for a non-PPF'ed car ceramic coating.

I full PPF'ed my car in stealth film cause I like the look and because that's the max protection, I just didn't see the point to ceramic coat on top of PPF as I personally find that a bit redundant at that point. Coating essentially makes cleaning and keeping the car clean easier, which the full PPF also does (washing that is - not necessarily keeping it clean tho).
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 11:04 AM   #90
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Just repaint. Cheaper than PPF. I can't imagine throwing 5-10k at a car to not improve it's performance just to have a thin coat of plastic all over it. If you can afford a nice bmw you can afford to have it cleaned regularly and take care of the paint like 99% of the people do with their cars on the road.

Cars exteriors are made of metal and plastic with the specific purpose of being painted and being repaintable.

Example: You get in a fender bender with a good scratch for instance on your front bumper. Not enough to replace, just need a fresh coat of paint. Now you have to remove the PPF, repaint, then buy new PPF and then reinstall the PPF. Likely having to go to another shop for the PPF work. More down time not having your car, more time you are paying for a rental, etc.

I am 90% sure most Insurance companies are not going to pay because you decided to put PPF on your bumper. Their job is to pay to get it back into like new condition. Like new is not body panels covered with a PPF aftermarket coating on it you added after you bought the car. Maybe if it was done when you bought the car and you explicitly told your insurance company that you added 5-50k of PPF and you want to be covered for the PPF. But then your monthly payment should go up as the insurance company is now insuring an asset with 5-10k added to it.

Last edited by Torgus; 03-16-2023 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 11:16 AM   #91
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Oh yea it won't be a massive cost on top of full PPF for sure. I was quoted $800 as opposed to the usual $1200-$1500 that they typically charge for a non-PPF'ed car ceramic coating.

I full PPF'ed my car in stealth film cause I like the look and because that's the max protection, I just didn't see the point to ceramic coat on top of PPF as I personally find that a bit redundant at that point. Coating essentially makes cleaning and keeping the car clean easier, which the full PPF also does (washing that is - not necessarily keeping it clean tho).
All of the clay bar and paint correction work would have been done prior to applying the PPF. Therefore $800 for ceramic coating is still way too high. I paid cash for my ceramic a few weeks after putting PPF on my car and it cost me much less than what you were quoted.
Appreciate 1
hec-g8046.50
      03-16-2023, 11:28 AM   #92
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
All of the clay bar and paint correction work would have been done prior to applying the PPF. Therefore $800 for ceramic coating is still way too high. I paid cash for my ceramic a few weeks after putting PPF on my car and it cost me much less than what you were quoted.
I am talking CDN $ so there maybe a bit of a difference there but yea the prices are all over the place based on who you end up going to.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 11:34 AM   #93
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Just repaint. Cheaper than PPF. I can't imagine throwing 5-10k at a car to not improve it's performance just to have a thin coat of plastic all over it. If you can afford a nice bmw you can afford to have it cleaned regularly and take care of the paint like 99% of the people do with their cars on the road.

Cars exteriors are made of metal and plastic with the specific purpose of being painted and being repaintable.

Example: You get in a fender bender with a good scratch for instance on your front bumper. Not enough to replace, just need a fresh coat of paint. Now you have to remove the PPF, repaint, then buy new PPF and then reinstall the PPF. Likely having to go to another shop for the PPF work. More down time not having your car, more time you are paying for a rental, etc.

I am 90% sure most Insurance companies are not going to pay because you decided to put PPF on your bumper. Their job is to pay to get it back into like new condition. Like new is not body panels covered with a PPF aftermarket coating on it you added after you bought the car. Maybe if it was done when you bought the car and you explicitly told your insurance company that you added 5-50k of PPF and you want to be covered for the PPF. But then your monthly payment should go up as the insurance company is now insuring an asset with 5-10k added to it.

Lol you obviously don't know how OCD works. Someone like me who even hates a spec of dust on their car, am I supposed to get it repainted as soon as there is a chip? Obviously not and then you gotta live with the car with one or several chips until it's 'bad enough' to justify the whole thing being painted. I think a lot of disconnect is likely based on the locations - if any of the people that are against PPF were to come and see our roads in winter and what sort of gravel is put for traction in snow purposes I don't think anyone would be disagreeing that PPF is a must-have.

Also, the prices you are stating are extortionate. I don't pay anywhere near 5-10K for the whole thing though yes the going rate is around 4KCDN in my area for a full PPF. In my case I wanted to change the look of the paint from gloss to satin so I went with stealth film and it was multi-use for me in terms of protection of the paint and then change of the look of the vehicle as well ease of clean in the future.

Lot of the points been covered already, but insurance will replace your PPF after a collision if they are paying for the body part replacement. At least my insurance company has in the past and you don't 'lose' that money and 9 out of 10 times any decent shop where your vehicle is being repaired, will also do the PPF job.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 12:01 PM   #94
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Lol you obviously don't know how OCD works. Someone like me who even hates a spec of dust on their car, am I supposed to get it repainted as soon as there is a chip? Obviously not and then you gotta live with the car with one or several chips until it's 'bad enough' to justify the whole thing being painted. I think a lot of disconnect is likely based on the locations - if any of the people that are against PPF were to come and see our roads in winter and what sort of gravel is put for traction in snow purposes I don't think anyone would be disagreeing that PPF is a must-have.

Also, the prices you are stating are extortionate. I don't pay anywhere near 5-10K for the whole thing though yes the going rate is around 4KCDN in my area for a full PPF. In my case I wanted to change the look of the paint from gloss to satin so I went with stealth film and it was multi-use for me in terms of protection of the paint and then change of the look of the vehicle as well ease of clean in the future.

Lot of the points been covered already, but insurance will replace your PPF after a collision if they are paying for the body part replacement. At least my insurance company has in the past and you don't 'lose' that money and 9 out of 10 times any decent shop where your vehicle is being repaired, will also do the PPF job.
So, in summary, a personal choice for each person to make. OCD not, then no worries....

Shawn
Appreciate 3
Torgus3781.50
ksa1071.00
Three7716.50
      03-16-2023, 12:53 PM   #95
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Lol you obviously don't know how OCD works. Someone like me who even hates a spec of dust on their car
I am not sure what is funny?

I am sorry you have OCD and that it makes you want to spend 5k on PPF. Out of curiosity are there other examples of higher costs in your life because of your OCD?

Quote:
I don't pay anywhere near 5-10K for the whole thing though yes the going rate is around 4KCDN
https://ezautospa.com/services/ppf-p...ther%20factors.
"A new install of PPF can cost anywhere from $600 to $8,000 or more"

That websitee specifically says an average full car PPF is $5000 USD. You claim $2900 USD. $2,100 delta is too large for me to believe that number is accurate.

https://www.vive-houston.com/blog/ho...rotection-film

"Full Car Coverage ranges between $5,000 to $9,500."

"https://www.exoticwindowtint.com/everything-to-know-about-paint-protection-film-cost-for-your-car"

"from $1,300 (for a clear bra) up to $7,000 for the whole car"

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2001305
This thread right below this one, 5k installed full.

I can't find a single website that says they can do a full car in a quality PPF for your cost of $2,900 USD. I am sure there are deals and maybe you specifically can get it for that price, the average person is paying 5k+. A car detail in my town is $180 for exterior 'full' detail. So I can get ~30 full exterior details for the price of PPF. I'll take the 30 details. You could have you car detailed 3 times a year for 10 years. 4 times a year or once a quarter for 7.5 years. A whopping 6 full exterior details one every other month for 5 years for the cost of PPF full coverage.

Quote:
insurance will replace your PPF after a collision if they are paying for the body part replacement.
Right...my example was a scratch. Scratches and rubs are MUCH more common than a full body panel replacement. You can often fix a body panel vs full replacement as well so it sounds like they wouldn't pay out in that situation either.

Also, you are talking about your insurance company. Very often you/your insurance is dealing with the insurance company of the person who damaged your car. Not all companies pay out the same or have the same policies.

So according to when your insurance company will not replace your PPF in the most commonly possible damage situation to a car. Your insurance company will not pay out to remove and then replace your PPF. You will have to foot the bill.

I don't hate PPF. I just don't see it's value. Throw 5k into performance. Throw 5k into the market. Anything before paying 5k to wrap your car in plastic. Not to mention the edges of PPF can get dirt in them and the partial 'bra' wraps look like crap. w/ lines across hoods etc. I have seen bad PFF jobs and they look horrible, same with when cheap PPF is used. Dealer applied PPF has taken paint off of brand new cars.

PPF is not for me. If you like it, great!

Last edited by Torgus; 03-16-2023 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
ksa1071.00
      03-16-2023, 01:16 PM   #96
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83, X5 m50i

PPF keeps the front of the car looking brand new. No rock chips. That’s the main reason I choose to get it. No amount of consistent detailing can prevent those without having the protective film.

Sorry to change the subject, but do you guys PPF the windshield? Rock chips are a common occurrence driving in TX. I’ve never PPFed the windshield.. just gotten the warranty through BMW since these damn HUD windshields cost so much. But the PPF route would be cheaper than the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 01:20 PM   #97
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Yea, it for sure doesn't make sense for everyone. All depends on your personal preference. I think a great deal also depends on what part of the world you live in and what sort of climate you have. For us here, any nice car is a no-brainer basically and why 99% of people get at least even basic PPF package. It greatly helps with re-sale of vehicles in our neck of woods as well.

As far as the cost is concerned, all I can tell you is the price in my area which is what I stated above. I pay even lower a little due to the volume of cars I go through and take to them and referrals etc., but our regular shops are around the 4K-5K CDN region. But definitely to each their own. I am not officially diagnosed with OCD and I guess I should have been more careful with using that term in that context but I have been told that I have some tendencies of that nature. I just like everything perfectly clean and impeccable including my house, office, garage, car etc. So the added costs come with involving cleaning personnel and just more frequent involvement of them in these tasks. I am getting my garage epoxy'd in a month as we get to summer as seeing the dirt and debris from winter has been really bothering me lately so will get it done so the cleaning is a easy breeze and it doesn't get as messy regularly. When I see a scratch or a chip or something of that nature on one of my cars I literally stress and hum and haw over it for forever and sometimes loose sleep over it until I have to get it fixed right away. It's definitely not normal as I know other car people that aren't that crazy about their vehicles.

EDIT: The only windshields I had PPF'ed were Aston Martin, McLaren 720S and G63AMG. Typically I don't bother with the windshield PPF and have insurance coverage for that. I had a bad experience with it on my Aston with it fading and scratching up causing light streaks etc. in dark when lights would hit it it would have weird light streaks and that turned me away from it. It does help with rock chips and rock pits and perhaps the quality is better these days or maybe I had a bad batch or something.

Last edited by ksa; 03-16-2023 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2023, 02:47 PM   #98
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanbimmer3 View Post
PPF keeps the front of the car looking brand new. No rock chips. That’s the main reason I choose to get it. No amount of consistent detailing can prevent those without having the protective film.

Sorry to change the subject, but do you guys PPF the windshield? Rock chips are a common occurrence driving in TX. I’ve never PPFed the windshield.. just gotten the warranty through BMW since these damn HUD windshields cost so much. But the PPF route would be cheaper than the warranty.
I have Exoshield on my M3. Looks good. I haven't had it long but I can't see any distortion or have any issues with my HUD. I'd do it again. I dont know how it will be long term.

From my reading, external windshield film has been around for a while but the quality has become much better than the past. I have definitely read some horror stories, but they're generally a few years old when the film started to gain traction.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 04:00 PM   #99
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:

In Florida insurance has $0 deductible for replacing the windshield so considering it won't cost me any money I haven't even considered doing it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 08:39 AM   #100
PRINCE THUNDERNIGHT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive G42

Hey guys, so a few questions if you don't mind?

When I FINALLY get the car, I'd like to get the front PPF'd. But whats the logical steps? Clay and ceramic first? I'd probably do this myself before PPF. Then wax/polish after ceramic? What’s the regimen after ceramic?!

And do you then ceramic/wax/polish over the PPF?

Is PPF covered by insurance? If car is damaged, will insurance cover the cost of new PPF? Probably not?

Never had this on a car before, so please forgive my dumb questions. I have read every single thread here about this, but what to do with the PPF after isn't really addressed!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 09:18 AM   #101
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
This.

It's for my OCD more than anything, but I also love the fact that I don't have to edit out any chips for photos. I can easily tell when it's perfect. The ROI goes without saying in this area. Remember, these are pix of a 2018 bought in 2017.

Oh snap by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Clean AF by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Appreciate 6
T0RM3NT3654.00
ksa1071.00
aa2033375.00
Burrcold5332.00
Pkinneb19.50
      03-17-2023, 10:41 AM   #102
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
This.

It's for my OCD more than anything, but I also love the fact that I don't have to edit out any chips for photos. I can easily tell when it's perfect. The ROI goes without saying in this area. Remember, these are pix of a 2018 bought in 2017.
Agreed. Goes back to my post a few pages back. PPF being worth it or not is completely subjective. A full car PPF was completely worth it to me for the peace of mind. To others, it's a complete waste of money.

I have PPF and ceramic coating on top of it. I even had all the gloss black trim around the doors and pillars PPF'd. I have zero regrets.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
ksa1071.00
///MPhatic13904.00
Hornet-01122.50
Pkinneb19.50
      03-17-2023, 11:21 AM   #103
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa2033 View Post
Agreed. Goes back to my post a few pages back. PPF being worth it or not is completely subjective. A full car PPF was completely worth it to me for the peace of mind. To others, it's a complete waste of money.

I have PPF and ceramic coating on top of it. I even had all the gloss black trim around the doors and pillars PPF'd. I have zero regrets.
Bro, car is stunning, just stunning.
Appreciate 1
aa2033375.00
      03-17-2023, 11:25 AM   #104
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Bro, car is stunning, just stunning.
Appreciate you. Yours is stunning also. I love long beach blue.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13904.00
      03-17-2023, 11:58 AM   #105
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
This.

Oh snap by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Clean AF by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
That's fricken beautiful man!
///MPhatic13904.00
Hornet-01122.50
Pkinneb19.50
      03-17-2023, 12:10 PM   #106
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:

I have Exoshield on the GT4. I will get it on another car I have coming in. It's less about saving money on getting a new windshield because that's what insurance is for. Just pay the deductible and you get a new windshield, done. How many windshields will you repair from a crack over a 3-4 year period? One, maybe two? In many cases that number is zero.

I'm more concerned with retaining the original windshield and avoiding the experience of having a chipped, pitted, and sandblasted windshield. In the past I've had vehicles where I feel like I'm starring at the Milky Way. Not interested in that experience on a special car or one I care deeply about. For a lease, mundane commuter car, or family hauler I don't think windshield protection makes sense. But just like ppf, everyone has a different perspective on pros, cons, and perceived value.

NOTE: Florida, Kentucky, and South Carolina are the only states which waive the car insurance deductible for windshield repair or replacement – if you carry comprehensive insurance coverage. Arizona, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and New York allow separate glass coverage with no deductible on your glass claim.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2023, 08:43 PM   #107
5_chill
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp XDrive, M5 Comp

I wouldn’t do it. A lot of people do it because they see others doing it. Lol. People were just fine prior to PPF days, now suddenly something is wrong with not having it. Enjoy your car how you see fit. You gonna keep your G80 for 7+ years? At 5 years or less, you’ll have to redo it. You gonna wanna spend another 5-8 grand just to protect the paint on a 5 year old car. At that point, that’s 10k+. Could just repaint it at that point. I’m just saying.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 04:43 PM   #108
zachmc241
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F97 X3M

Garage List
I guess I’m here to vouch for PPF after someone took a key down the side of my car affecting the front fender and both driver side doors today! So frustrating.. When me and the old lady bought our grocery getter/dog hauler we bit the bullet and did PPF on the entire car front to back since it’s a daily driver. Yes, I wanted to spend that money on exhaust, jb4, intakes, flex fuel, etc etc.. BUT over the past 2 years we have had 2 door dings(tore the PPF), a rock to the windshield and this key Incident. Both door dings would have caused paint flaws and the rock would have chipped the glass no doubt(tore the PPF). Thankfully the OG paint is protected,no insurance claims, no cost fixing anything besides the 2 dents for a few hundred bucks and no rock chips!
I’m an advocate for it, I’d like to think it has almost paid for itself In just 24 months!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-15-2024, 08:51 PM   #109
zenmastr
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3M Comptetition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF90M5C View Post
I was in two minds, but for £1800 to do the bonnet, front bumper, rear bumper, wings, side sills, all pillars and fuel cap thought what the hell. No regrets here, especially as the guys that did it laser cut each piece in house, so you can’t see it’s there. After 2.5k miles, the number of stone chips was eye watering. The paint on modern BMW’s is so soft, it’s a no brainer.

That’s a decent price in todays market. Where did you go to do that?
Appreciate 0