BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Future of iDrive 7
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-19-2022, 04:30 PM   #1
TheMandalorian
Private
15
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: 2022 M240i
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Future of iDrive 7

As it looks like iDrive 8 is gradually being added to the entire BMW fleet, how do you feel about being an owner of a vehicle with iDrive 7.

I ordered a 2022 M240i which I will be receiving idrive 7 and am kinda annoyed they already upgraded the OS for the vehicle practically in the same model year.

Idrive 8 seems like it will work really well with the new CarPlay coming out next year even though BMW was not listed an an explicit partner
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 04:42 PM   #2
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
463
Rep
2,270
Posts

Drives: F80, F36, E90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (3)

There are a number of threads on this. In short most people are indifferent with Id7 or id8
Appreciate 3
chenry2159.50
Vivek.1263.50
      06-19-2022, 05:35 PM   #3
mzwerner
Second Lieutenant
mzwerner's Avatar
United_States
363
Rep
264
Posts

Drives: G82 competition
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMandalorian View Post
As it looks like iDrive 8 is gradually being added to the entire BMW fleet, how do you feel about being an owner of a vehicle with iDrive 7.

I ordered a 2022 M240i which I will be receiving idrive 7 and am kinda annoyed they already upgraded the OS for the vehicle practically in the same model year.

Idrive 8 seems like it will work really well with the new CarPlay coming out next year even though BMW was not listed an an explicit partner
I'd prefer i8, but I'm content with i7 on my 2021 G82. It's just not that big of a deal to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 07:47 PM   #4
Westside Guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Westside Guy's Avatar
United_States
1161
Rep
1,509
Posts

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hallandale Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
My attitude is that if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

The iDrive 7 on my Z4 satisfies all of my needs and more content would only distract me from looking at the road when driving.
Appreciate 3
Vivek.1263.50
M8Bimmer370.00
      06-19-2022, 08:11 PM   #5
TheMandalorian
Private
15
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: 2022 M240i
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
My attitude is that if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

The iDrive 7 on my Z4 satisfies all of my needs and more content would only distract me from looking at the road when driving.
That is fair, I just wish we had carplay integration into the instrument cluster and I would not really need anything else
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 09:32 PM   #6
Westside Guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Westside Guy's Avatar
United_States
1161
Rep
1,509
Posts

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hallandale Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMandalorian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
My attitude is that if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

The iDrive 7 on my Z4 satisfies all of my needs and more content would only distract me from looking at the road when driving.
That is fair, I just wish we had carplay integration into the instrument cluster and I would not really need anything else
Now that you mention it, I would love to see Waze work with my HUD. That is the only thing missing with my iDrive 7.
Appreciate 2
      06-19-2022, 11:02 PM   #7
br438
Private First Class
205
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: 2022 X30 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: TN

iTrader: (0)

Further integration would be neat, but I would hate to give up my hard buttons for aircon, radio, etc. ... no thanks. I like dedicated, hard buttons in a car.
Appreciate 3
M8Bimmer370.00
P19324.00
      06-20-2022, 10:55 AM   #8
Westside Guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Westside Guy's Avatar
United_States
1161
Rep
1,509
Posts

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hallandale Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by br438 View Post
Further integration would be neat, but I would hate to give up my hard buttons for aircon, radio, etc. ... no thanks. I like dedicated, hard buttons in a car.
I am old fashioned and like hard buttons for certain controls also.
Appreciate 5
M8Bimmer370.00
eelnoraa160.00
P19324.00
      06-20-2022, 10:55 AM   #9
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
snareman's Avatar
United_States
3990
Rep
5,527
Posts

Drives: Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Now that you mention it, I would love to see Waze work with my HUD. That is the only thing missing with my iDrive 7.
This seems to be one of the few areas where Android beats Apple with car stuff. I get almost identical HUD notifications with Waze as with the stock nav
__________________
Current: 2023 Santorini Blue ///M8 (ordered) ||| 2023 X3 M40 (ordered)
Retired:
2021 Enzian Blue ///M4 ||| 2018 ///M4 ||| 2017 ///M4 ||| 2014 435i ||| 2009 335i Coupe ||| 2007 335i Coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 11:00 AM   #10
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
snareman's Avatar
United_States
3990
Rep
5,527
Posts

Drives: Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

As much as I always want the latest tech and iD8 has some fancy stuff I HATE the idea of not having any buttons. Those 8 programmable are one of the best things. My only iD8 experience was on an iX test drive Having to go into menus for so many things seems horrible, not to mention potentially dangerous as its more time with your eyes off the road. I'm getting 2 new cars this year, both of which will have iD7 and I'm not the least bit upset about it. It's still a great system.
__________________
Current: 2023 Santorini Blue ///M8 (ordered) ||| 2023 X3 M40 (ordered)
Retired:
2021 Enzian Blue ///M4 ||| 2018 ///M4 ||| 2017 ///M4 ||| 2014 435i ||| 2009 335i Coupe ||| 2007 335i Coupe
Appreciate 3
Vivek.1263.50
P19324.00
      06-20-2022, 11:03 AM   #11
Westside Guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Westside Guy's Avatar
United_States
1161
Rep
1,509
Posts

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hallandale Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
This seems to be one of the few areas where Android beats Apple with car stuff. I get almost identical HUD notifications with Waze as with the stock nav
In my opinion the issue has to do with the rivalry between Apple and Google (who owns Waze). While Waze is an app you can download on your iPhone, only Apple Maps will appear on your HUD and not Waze or Google maps.
Appreciate 1
ASAP5014.50
      06-20-2022, 11:05 AM   #12
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
snareman's Avatar
United_States
3990
Rep
5,527
Posts

Drives: Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
In my opinion the issue has to do with the rivalry between Apple and Google (who owns Waze). While Waze is an app you can download on your iPhone, only Apple Maps will appear on your HUD and not Waze or Google maps.
Yea, good question. I guess I'm not sure who the rate limiting step is there for allowing stuff to appear in the HUD, whether Google or BMW controls what gets pushed through to the HUD or why.
__________________
Current: 2023 Santorini Blue ///M8 (ordered) ||| 2023 X3 M40 (ordered)
Retired:
2021 Enzian Blue ///M4 ||| 2018 ///M4 ||| 2017 ///M4 ||| 2014 435i ||| 2009 335i Coupe ||| 2007 335i Coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 03:23 PM   #13
Westside Guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Westside Guy's Avatar
United_States
1161
Rep
1,509
Posts

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hallandale Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
This seems to be one of the few areas where Android beats Apple with car stuff. I get almost identical HUD notifications with Waze as with the stock nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Yea, good question. I guess I'm not sure who the rate limiting step is there for allowing stuff to appear in the HUD, whether Google or BMW controls what gets pushed through to the HUD or why.
It appears that the culprit is Apple CarPlay if an Android phone allows Waze to appear on the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 07:56 AM   #14
heavyD^2
Colonel
heavyD^2's Avatar
Canada
3210
Rep
2,756
Posts

Drives: X3M Competition
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Too close to Santa

iTrader: (0)

Seems like every even number version of ID is where real improvement happens. ID7 had improvements over ID6 but was worse in some aspects. The dark and dingy displays of ID7 was a bit of a step backwards IMO. ID8 looks to be a return to form from ID6.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #15
Quadruple VANOS
First Lieutenant
291
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: America

iTrader: (0)

I don't think anyone can provide meaningful feedback unless they've owned both systems for an extended period. What's happening is people are mostly commenting on the screen implementation; and removing physical controls. That makes for a weak evaluation of id8.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 03:43 PM   #16
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
Equilibrandt's Avatar
United_States
205
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: M3, Miata
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
I don't think anyone can provide meaningful feedback unless they've owned both systems for an extended period. What's happening is people are mostly commenting on the screen implementation; and removing physical controls. That makes for a weak evaluation of id8.
^this. People are speculating purely off of teasers of ID8 cars on YouTube. No one owns one yet.

We get it: lack of buttons suck, fingerprints, etc. I'd venture to say ID8 with voice commands will be a huge step up, software-wise (neglecting anything related to hardware). Not sure how long ID7 will get updates when ID8 becomes all you can get.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 06:54 PM   #17
LogicalApex
Colonel
United_States
1230
Rep
2,161
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
^this. People are speculating purely off of teasers of ID8 cars on YouTube. No one owns one yet.

We get it: lack of buttons suck, fingerprints, etc. I'd venture to say ID8 with voice commands will be a huge step up, software-wise (neglecting anything related to hardware). Not sure how long ID7 will get updates when ID8 becomes all you can get.
Agreed. I am certain the buttons were reduced as BMW is aiming to shift us to voice commands. If the implementation is done well it will be less distracting than the buttons. My iDrive 7 car an already accurately discern between driver and passenger for commands.

I agree it will take personal use to really tease out how well they executed.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2022, 07:13 PM   #18
Hegge
Captain
821
Rep
768
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS
Join Date: May 2015
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
As much as I always want the latest tech and iD8 has some fancy stuff I HATE the idea of not having any buttons. Those 8 programmable are one of the best things. My only iD8 experience was on an iX test drive Having to go into menus for so many things seems horrible, not to mention potentially dangerous as its more time with your eyes off the road. I'm getting 2 new cars this year, both of which will have iD7 and I'm not the least bit upset about it. It's still a great system.
The eight programmable buttons are the best part of a BMW interior and now they are going away.
Appreciate 2
Vivek.1263.50
      06-21-2022, 08:28 PM   #19
Quadruple VANOS
First Lieutenant
291
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: America

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
The eight programmable buttons are the best part of a BMW interior and now they are going away.
This was my initial concern, but it was unfounded. The Shortcuts still exist but are now part of the software.

I wish some iD8 user would show us this capability on YouTube.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 01:41 AM   #20
Vivek.
Major
1264
Rep
1,417
Posts

Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Los Gatos, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
This was my initial concern, but it was unfounded. The Shortcuts still exist but are now part of the software.

I wish some iD8 user would show us this capability on YouTube.
This doesn't seem like an equivalent, though. Like removing the hot/cold dials and putting it in a menu. By the time I'm in the menu it would have been easier to just adjust the target temp with the buttons that thankfully still exist.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
My wife would give me so much head if I did that.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2022, 08:19 AM   #21
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
snareman's Avatar
United_States
3990
Rep
5,527
Posts

Drives: Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
This was my initial concern, but it was unfounded. The Shortcuts still exist but are now part of the software.

I wish some iD8 user would show us this capability on YouTube.
That's the problem, part of the software. They are not on the screen and you can't just reach over and press a button like you could with the physical buttons. I tried to find them on my iX test drive and couldn't figure out where they were.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 08:50 AM   #22
tracer bullet
Colonel
tracer bullet's Avatar
United_States
1267
Rep
2,749
Posts

Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Those 8 programmable are one of the best things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
The eight programmable buttons are the best part of a BMW interior and now they are going away.
I've never, ever used mine. I'm not saying it's OK they are going away, I've just never used them. So I'm asking, out of genuine curiosity and because maybe I'll learn something cool - what do you guys actually use them for?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST