BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Driving freedom and pleasures are going bye bye.

07-01-2022, 06:33 AM   #67
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
This. Thats how I enjoy residential roads in the car. I'm actually too nervous to drive fast in these places anymore. Too much at stake for everyone. Maybe I'm getting old.

Now I wish they'd do more enforcement of tailgaters and left lane hogs then raise the speed limits on 400 series highways but thats a different story.
I agree, but sometimes you just want to open up the taps.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 02:37 PM   #68
325bim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330l;2006 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraitorJacKnife View Post
I disagree on what the above poster said is pure fearmongering. Both extremes, thinking that nothing will happen and thinking that the worst will happen are both short sighted. Where the technology exists, there's always potential for it to be abused, whether by governments or larger corporations that have close ties to government. Your simple dismissal of a potential and real problem can be seen as short sighted, perhaps mixed with a little hubris. How quickly people forget the Snowden Revelations.

The west is already undergoing a sort of period of decadence, so who knows what's to come next. The coronapanic and "travel passports" that were attempted in certain backwards western countries leads more credence to the tinfoil hatters I'd say. In addition, we have these irrational "green movements" and "war on climate change" people who more than likely would want those remote kill switches implemented to immobilize people of a particular political leaning. You're probably right in that something like this won't happen in the US, but UK, NZ, Canada, I'd be less hopeful about.
https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...will-abuse-it/
DrFerry6725.50
      01-04-2023, 06:46 PM   #69
favour
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

I feel your pain lol! feels like you are crawling in a really fast car.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 08:10 PM   #70
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Because it's not EV specific and the "government" isn't going to come through "the grid" and disable your car. It's nonsense. Will never happen. I develop embedded software and electronics for a regulated industry and know how segregation of systems, risk analysis, and separation of concerns are handled in automotive. Pure fearmongering from people without any critical thinking skills who see black helicopters and the deep state in everything. It's right to be concerned about it from a global cybersecurity perspective, but no, the feds aren't going to disable your car because your social credit score isn't high enough or whatever bullshit these nutters believe. It will not happen in the West.
Man, what rock have you been living under? It is already happening. You trust our .gov, the FBI, LOL
Appreciate 3
DrFerry6725.50
NickyC17424.00
      01-15-2023, 08:12 PM   #71
HighwayStar
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 Imola M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
Well I can't speak for BC but here in Ontario the cops are genuine pigs alright. It's worse than ever. Speeding on any highway here is pointless honestly. If they don't get ya now they will down the road.
I set my cruise at maybe 12km over on the highway and just sit back and relax. Or faster if it seems the pace is faster. But being the fastest out there...no no no. Unless you like the smell of pork harassing you. Really I find using the cruz to be less stressful overall. It watches my speed. I relax knowing I'm fat free from a pork attack.

These news channels broadcasting the cops their pre-weekend warnings make me sick. It like your Daddy bursting into your room Saturday morning before you even out of bed. " Now don't do this and don't try that " he screams.....like the cops do. And you haven't even left your bed. Stupid analogy but you know.
We have more traffic accidents now a days because we have so many people here using the roads at the same time. Statistically I think driving is safer than it was 40 or 60 years ago. Safer car...better highways......dumber fuck ups....ok...wrong. hahaha
Same thing happening here in Victoria, BC. It's pathetic
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 08:40 PM   #72
HighwayStar
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 Imola M5C

Quote:
Sounds like driving will be some approved gov activity soon enough.
You get so many minutes of driving time for being a good boy. After all your activities for the week have been downloaded you will be assessed for "goodness".
If you are deemed "worthy" you will allocated minutes of pleasure pretending that your driving their electric self driving car. Just like at the fair when you were a kid....weee!
Look ....I'm driving ....I'm driving......NOT!
Check out whats happening in Oxford, UK. The libs are winning

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 11:54 PM   #73
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

So which group is the "law abiding citizens"? Asking for a friend.
      01-16-2023, 08:10 AM   #74
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
Check out whats happening in Oxford, UK. The libs are winning
Just the opposite, that's not liberalism, that's a police state.
      01-16-2023, 12:52 PM   #75
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

this is why i like the rural midwest. no bike lanes and minimal pedestrian traffic. hard enough watching out for everything else. in SF or LA its like you have to give 100% attention to driving at all times, especially downtown. its annoying and stressful.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 04:51 AM   #76
DavesZupra4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Quote:
Don't ever move to canada if you enjoy owning a car.
You might as well take your mommy on the track with you.
Driving freedoms in canada are so under attack it barley worth owning a car in some places. My stinkin city is actively encouraging folks to not drive. Buy a bike they say. Fuck them. When are they gonna make these cyclist get insurance? Why do i have to provide them with my insurance because they have none at all. They wanna use the road...pay the fuck up then!
Anyways...what rights and driving pleasures are being taken from all you guys in terms of driving enjoyment and freedom?
Up here in canada it's a matter of time before they drive you in terms of the self driving car. These jerks can't wait til we all don't have the ability to actually drive the car.
Uhm. It's unlikely to happen ever in Canada but they do have a point. Look at Europe.. There's far less traffic due to amazing walkability and absolute leading and world class public transport. Let's look at America. By far THE WORST country on earth for public transport and walkability. Canada is slightly better but once again parking lots and mega malls and mega stores everywhere which is hideous. In Europe even a large grocery/hardware/electronics store ESPECIALLY outside the UK, would be considered a boutique store in North America. Seriously north America is just shameful and hideous. They hate public transport and think they're special or "rich" for owning cars even though everyone has a car nowadays. They think public transport is for the poor, when in Europe public transport is used by everyone and perhaps at a greater proportion for the upper middle class or rich. In Holland, bike lanes are everywhere and people biking to places is HUGE thanks to amazing laws and incentives to do it.

Reducing our carbon footprint shouldn't be looked at as being "poor". I don't like the mentality of some who won't make any effort to change and benefit from everyone who uses public transport or bikes becsuse THEY are partly a reason for slowing down greenhouse emissions which the stubborn people enjoy.

Americans haven't even left their own state most of them . much less the country and over 70% of them don't have passports and the ones that do were most likely not born here. They need to actually leave their country and open their eyes and realize that Europe, Asia, etc, are far far ahead and world class and safer and smarter and more tolerant and richer (when It comes to the average persons wealth and purchasing power and money in bank), and more beautiful (in terms of people and land and cities) and way more happier than Americans. Just an FYI for the hardcore Patriots. Also Americans claim they buy guns to defend against a government gone bad. I'm sorry but your guns won't do anything to a tank or to drones. It's more likely they will use that gun in the heat of the moment and shoot and kill someone over something small because their "manhood" was challenged and I have literally seen this happen

Ok and now here comes all the hate. Sorry eveeyone didn't meant to offend or insult plz be nice 😭
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 05:01 AM   #77
DavesZupra4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Speed cameras - everywhere! It started a few years ago as a pilot program. The cameras were posted within X distance of schools, normally on the blocks where the schools were located. They were in operation only on days schools were in session and from the hours of 6am-10pm. Then they changed it to M-F regardless of whether schools were open. And again they changed the distance to a radius. Cameras popped up everywhere. When we were in lockdown, and everyone was home except essential workers, the city went crazy putting more cameras up everywhere and at the same time they reduced the speed limits.

They now approved the cameras 24/7. It drives me batshit crazy. I am so happy my car alerts me when approaching a speed camera. Don't get me wrong, I don't speed like crazy on the city streets but WTF?!?! Streets that were previously 40 mph are now 25 mph. The cameras are a cash cow for the city.

Rant over.
How do the citizens tolerate this? I get upset becsuse for me this is instantly something I'd go to war for against the corrupt politicians or gov officials, but I look around, and NOONE dares to do anything. They just sit, take it, and obey. Seriously it's obvious abuse of power but the people no longer care they're abused. They're so highly afraid of challenging "authority" because they fear losing their things or "freedom" when really they aren't free and have lost all their dignity and self respect being cowardly sell outs. If this was 1820 the idiots lowering speed limits and increasing cameras DURING A PANDEMIC ESPECIALLY would be shot or hanged already by a massive mob. Back then people had common sense and didn't tolerate bs abuse like this. Today, people think the abusers are "good people keeping them safe" when they're clearly just abusing them. Man people are so blind nowadays. They have some stuff and a mediocre life they fear losing so bad that they become.blind and obedient and take it in their top hole and middle rear hole happily with no complaints fearing they will lose it if they even dare object. Government has become their God and caretaker and they have become the infant idiots in need to be told what to do and what to think and how to live. Expecting much from humans will leave you highly disappointment. I suggest befriending parrots like I did. They never disappoint.
Appreciate 0