BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Still want an EV?

Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #8009
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
Fox News, the CIA, Texas' opinion, and California slander all in one neat package. I thought the right deeply mistrusts the CIA/FBI? If I were a Texan, I'd be more worried about a statewide power outage bankrupting my neighbors. And Fox News... well, y'all showed your hand with that one.

Can't wait for the new threads that're about to pop up after today's reveal of the revised Tesla Model 3 Performance. Faster 0-60, weighs about 100lbs more, about 40 miles less range, and 7 more horsepower than the 2024 BMW M3 Comp I was considering. For about $30k less, before Federal and State rebates.

Regardless of the love or hate of EVs, I don't think anyone can refute the performance at that price point.
Of course you can. I didn't buy a F150 Hybrid because the thought of having a fuel air lithium explosive device in my garage was a bridge to far. That was before I found out how horrible the fire death rates are for anything in an accident with a lithium battery in it.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1473.00
      Yesterday, 09:34 PM   #8010
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
My point about text books is they cost a lot of money to manufacture vs. some internet site that can change the words for free. If a scientific text book does not meet academic standards (what I meant by peer review) it will not sell and the publisher loses money. And text books teach the fundamentals of science study, which is what I use to judge internet scientific information. The internet is basically full of agenda-driven bullshit. So, no, scientific text books from 40 years ago are not outdated.

The study under discussion here, made no reasoning what effect automation has on reducing truck emissions. I read the article several times and I did not see the tie in into automation. I think we are 5 decades away (if ever) from automated over-the-road trucks. 50 years time is well past most climate scientists prediction of the point of no climatic return.

We're on the exact same page. I have a full archive copy of zlib and I highly recommend anyone who gives a damn about reading to do the same.
      Yesterday, 10:44 PM   #8011
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I need to take a picture, but Tesla has been using an abandoned mall parking lot near me for some time to store excess vehicles. Well, that parking lot now looks like a mall from the 90s at Christmas time because there could easily be a thousand vehicles parked there. It seems like the number just keeps growing and growing every time I drive by the spot. I'm not sure if it's a regional hub where they store vehicles for a multistate area or whatever, but it's unbelievable how many cars are parked there now.

I'm not sure if it's people not wanting EVs, or if Musk really upset people by taking away their left-wing propaganda arm Twitter.
Appreciate 3
eugenebmw1473.00
      Today, 05:33 AM   #8012
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Your post about the updated Model 3 Performance had me go look at it on Yesla's site with some interest. Meh, it's still a way-past-its-design-prime Model 3. The headlights are a bit better looking, but the front facia isn't that much of a departure to get me interested. The rear is really unchanged and the overall goofy shape doesn't give it presence, IMO. The interior doesn't say driver's car, it still says eco-themed save the planet pod. So, it's fast and AWD; whoopeedoo.

While the M3 is no beauty queen it's at least interesting to look at. I'd rather forgo the Competition version and have the 3-pedal regular brew because it would be far more interesting to drive. And the M3 recharges in 5 minutes and most importantlyin places where there are good roads to drive it on.
The Tesla might be quicker in a straight line but I suspect some track time will deplete the battery in very short order and not be nearly as much fun as the M3 and then there's the resale value. I'd stick with the M3 all day any day.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1473.00
      Today, 05:38 AM   #8013
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Why anyone in Canada would want an EV, even with home charging is a mystery to me because every part of the country gets first shot at a polar vortex.
It's primarily the cities of Vancouver/Victoria, Toronto, Ottawa & Montreal. All bastions of very progressive liberal green enthusiasm.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:55 AM   #8014
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Your grammar is not correct. "... supposedly I now have 4."
No, because adding 2 and 2 *does equal 4. The only supposition is in whether i have apples. But keep *equivocating.
      Today, 06:20 AM   #8015
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
No, because adding 2 and 2 *does equal 4. The only supposition is in whether i have apples. But keep *equivocating.
Then you would correctly write that as: "I have two (2) supposed apples, if I add another two (2) supposed apples, then I'd have four (4) supposed apples." i.e. you think the object of the count of two may be apples; they could be another type of fruit similar to an apple, like a Chinese pear.

Why do you people like to try and give others headaches?
Appreciate 2
kyriian883.50
eugenebmw1473.00
      Today, 06:21 AM   #8016
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
It's primarily the cities of Vancouver/Victoria, Toronto, Ottawa & Montreal. All bastions of very progressive liberal green enthusiasm.
Reality and current radical left have little in common. The next real Polar Vortex winter will be interesting.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1473.00
      Today, 06:36 AM   #8017
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Then you would correctly write that as: "I have two (2) supposed apples, if I add another two (2) supposed apples, then I'd have four (4) supposed apples." i.e. you think the object of the count of two may be apples; they could be another type of fruit similar to an apple, like a Chinese pear.

Why do you people like to try and give others headaches?
Anything but argue the substance, i suppose. Enjoy your circle jerk.
      Today, 06:50 AM   #8018
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

g
Attached Images

Today, 08:20 AM   #8019
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
Anything but argue the substance, i suppose. Enjoy your circle jerk.
Deal with your own limitations. I don't need to.
Appreciate 4
eugenebmw1473.00
kyriian883.50
      Today, 09:23 AM   #8020
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

the new model 3 performance seems to have some good improvements. the styling and seats for one. i agree it seems to be more of a facelift than a new generation. its like 8 years old now. i was listening to the carmudgeon podcast with jason camisa and he said the car is better than an M3 now. His explanation was a bit too far fetched though... basically something to the effect of if its not a high rpm NA engine with a manual and lightweight... why even bother.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:28 AM   #8021
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
I, for one, would love to see what someone can lap a circuit in the newer Model 3 Performance. It touts a bunch of "Track focused" upgrades, but we all know about Elon/his marketing team/EV Performance car woes. I'd love to see where it stacks up versus other similarly-priced cars on repeated laps of the 'Ring or Suzuka.

Curious to see if anyone'll make meaningful EV track toys that don't Alt+F4 after a few battery cycles. I'd love to see it versus the new i4 LCI and the i5.

Not sure if any of you have driven a 'fast' EV with aggressive regenerative braking, but it's quite... different? Not better, not worse, just a different headspace. Our Taycan and Model Y Performance laps were quite intriguing, being a single speed transmission with a serious sensation of 'engine braking' due to regen. A totally different way to drive fast vs my Miata or M3C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaups View Post
Performance figures or hypothetical 0-60 times? My bike goes 0-60 faster than a M3P at 1/3 the price. Does that make it a useful comparison? Apples and oranges.
If you didn't feel a massive surge of cognitive dissonance as you typed that up, you're clearly not fit for discussion. On what planet is comparing the performance of a bike and a sedan the same as comparing a sedan to a sedan of near-equal performance? Should we throw a Boeing F-16EX Strike Eagle into the 0-60 or MPG calcs? And as for your repeated insistence that everything is hypothetical, I'd direct you to every CarWow review ever where he uses an in-car GPS with an accelerometer to measure 0-60; similar to the twelve Model 3 P videos that came out yesterday.

Good god, move the goalposts further.

Last edited by Equilibrandt; Today at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 2
      Today, 10:13 AM   #8022
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
I, for one, would love to see what someone can lap a circuit in the newer Model 3 Performance. It touts a bunch of "Track focused" upgrades, but we all know about Elon/his marketing team/EV Performance car woes. I'd love to see where it stacks up versus other similarly-priced cars on repeated laps of the 'Ring or Suzuka.

Curious to see if anyone'll make meaningful EV track toys that don't Alt+F4 after a few battery cycles. I'd love to see it versus the new i4 LCI and the i5.

Not sure if any of you have driven a 'fast' EV with aggressive regenerative braking, but it's quite... different? Not better, not worse, just a different headspace. Our Taycan and Model Y Performance laps were quite intriguing, being a single speed transmission with a serious sensation of 'engine braking' due to regen. A totally different way to drive fast vs my Miata or M3C.

If you didn't feel a massive surge of cognitive dissonance as you typed that up, you're clearly not fit for discussion. On what planet is comparing the performance of a bike and a sedan the same as comparing a sedan to a sedan of near-equal performance? Should we throw a Boeing F-16EX Strike Eagle into the 0-60 or MPG calcs? And as for your repeated insistence that everything is hypothetical, I'd direct you to every CarWow review ever where he uses an in-car GPS with an accelerometer to measure 0-60; similar to the twelve Model 3 P videos that came out yesterday.

Good god, move the goalposts further.
Agree. The instant available torque is really fun to me. I still haven't gotten bored with it.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:29 AM   #8023
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
You got the locations right. Full of moroon and liars
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:50 AM   #8024
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
the new model 3 performance seems to have some good improvements. the styling and seats for one. i agree it seems to be more of a facelift than a new generation. its like 8 years old now. i was listening to the carmudgeon podcast with jason camisa and he said the car is better than an M3 now. His explanation was a bit too far fetched though... basically something to the effect of if its not a high rpm NA engine with a manual and lightweight... why even bother.

Key takeaways from this video:

- the E90 chassis was the last of the real BMW DNA cars
- GM should LS-swap the CT4 Blackwing
- the current BMW 3 Series M CS is overweight and too isolated
- because of the above, the new Model 3P is the better car now
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6051.00
      Today, 12:39 PM   #8025
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Quote:
Key takeaways from this video:

- the E90 chassis was the last of the real BMW DNA cars
- GM should LS-swap the CT4 Blackwing
- the current BMW 3 Series M CS is overweight and too isolated
- because of the above, the new Model 3P is the better car now
In case I ever get into an accident with an EV (touch wood), I'd prefer to be in an overweight M3CS.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1473.00