BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Next Gen 2022 BMW 2 Series Coupe (G42) Spy Pics & Videos
Closed Thread

05-27-2021, 02:17 PM   #749
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Maybe it's me but the rocker panels kind of jump out as a little thick in the render.
It's the proportions to the wheels. They managed to make 20" M3/4 wheels like like 15" wheels, not to mention rear wheels are smaller than the fronts. It's a pretty bad PS.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 09:07 PM   #750
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List

Name:  slp.jpg
Views: 4129
Size:  99.1 KB
Name:  slp1.jpg
Views: 3856
Size:  71.0 KB
Name:  P90422532_highRes_harald-gottsche-pres (1).jpg
Views: 5053
Size:  366.6 KB
Harald Gottsche, President & CEO of BMW Group San Luis Potosí Plant with the Launch Team of the new BMW 2 Series Coupé.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/mexic...e-2-coup%C3%A9
Google Translation:
Quote:
BMW Group San Luis Potosí Plant prepares for the production of the new BMW 2 Series Coupé

The BMW Group unveiled the production of the new BMW 2 Series Coupé that will be manufactured exclusively at its San Luis Potosí Plant for the global market, the start of production will be in this summer. This is the second model that the brand will produce at this Plant, reinforcing the BMW Group's commitment to economic growth and the development of talent in San Luis Potosí.

Since it began operations in April 2019, the San Luis Potosí Plant has become a key facility for the BMW Group's Production Network, with the manufacture of the seventh generation of the iconic BMW 3 Series. After two years of operation , the San Luis Potosí Plant has produced more than 100,000 units that have been exported to 36 countries. Additionally, it has generated approximately 32 thousand job sources in San Luis Potosí - including 3,000 direct jobs - quickly becoming one of the top 10 employer companies in San Luis Potosí.

In this regard, Harald Gottsche, President and CEO of BMW Group San Luis Potosí Plant expressed: “We are very excited to build a new vehicle exclusively at our Plant. The decision to manufacture the BMW 2 Series Coupé in Mexico for the whole world shows that we are competitive and that we have a highly qualified workforce. I am sure that the arrival of this model will be a catalyst for development for the region and will promote our Plant as a world-class automotive manufacturing center ”.

For his part, Milan Nedeljkovic, Member of the Board of Directors of BMW AG and head of production, said: “As the newest Plant, San Luis Potosí benefits from the experience and best practices of the BMW Group's Global Production Network. . It is sustainable, innovative and highly flexible. Our highly motivated and qualified team is integrating this new model seamlessly into ongoing production. "

The introduction of the BMW 2 Series Coupé in San Luis Potosí also highlights the BMW Group's commitment to sustainability as one of its fundamental strategic pillars. Cutting-edge and highly efficient technologies make the BMW Group San Luis Potosí Plant one of the most sustainable plants in the BMW Group's Global Production Network. His paint shop was the first to generate zero wastewater derived from the process. The Plant uses 100% CO 2 free electrical energy through a 71,000 m 2 solar panel system of surface, being the first time that a solar park works completely within the facilities of an automotive plant in Mexico. The rest of the electrical energy required is obtained from an external supplier that generates electricity with solar panels, the renewable origin of it is verified through declarations of conformity of origin.

Sporty handling, in the tradition of the BMW 2002.
The new BMW 2 Series Coupé, which will begin production in late summer 2021, is designed to offer uncompromising sporty handling. The new BMW 2 Series Coupé continues the brand's own tradition of offering compact, high-powered, driver-oriented two-door cars that has its origins in the legendary BMW 2002. In terms of power delivery, traction, cornering dynamics and handling precision, the new BMW 2 Series Coupé meets the expectations of a particularly demanding group of customers who enjoy pure sportiness in a compact premium car.

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 05-29-2021 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25051.00
MPSdriver192.00
Colinv64012.00
ried791.50
WolfGTI688.50
      05-29-2021, 09:33 PM   #751
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Proportions look solid in the BMW press pics with camo. This is going to be a very good looking car.

The renders look kinda close but do have inaccurate proportions.
Appreciate 4
BMWGirlFL6232.50
MPSdriver192.00
Colinv64012.00
      05-31-2021, 09:23 AM   #752
m3fuz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 X5M, 19 X3 30i, 03 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
New Rendering.
A BMW C-Class??
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 12:04 PM   #753
SFBavarianArea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E82 128i 6Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhey View Post
There's an article on BMWBlog that has a couple of those renders up for the new 2 coupe.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/05/26/2...s-new-renders/

They somehow look off to me though. Not sure why, but they do.
I agree…not off by a whole lot but still…off.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 02:00 PM   #754
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Think I'll stick with my incoming G29 M40; that is unless it gets totaled.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 05:34 PM   #755
n55f15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240I

Bit of a better render, though we know the mesh pattern isn't accurate
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 08:12 PM   #756
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55f15 View Post

Bit of a better render, though we know the mesh pattern isn't accurate
That is probably the best M240i render yet. Seems to meet all of what we have seen.

What do folks think of the smooth sides like the 4 series.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      06-13-2021, 08:29 AM   #757
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoIam View Post
That is probably the best M240i render yet. Seems to meet all of what we have seen.
Based on what we've seen on the X3/X4 M40i LCI and the M440i Gran Coupe, I wouldn't rule out M side mirrors or double-slat kidney grilles for the M240i...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #758
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
based on what we've seen on the x3/x4 m40i lci and the m440i gran coupe, i wouldn't rule out m side mirrors or double-slat kidney grilles for the m240i...
G42 2er:

Name:  G42_SideMirrors_R.jpg
Views: 3580
Size:  21.3 KB Name:  G42_SideMirrors_L.jpg
Views: 3549
Size:  21.9 KB

Name:  G42_Headlights_R.jpg
Views: 3374
Size:  26.5 KB Name:  G42_Headlights_L.jpg
Views: 3371
Size:  25.8 KB

Name:  G42_Kidneys.jpg
Views: 4913
Size:  118.8 KB

Name:  G42_Kidneys_2.jpg
Views: 2882
Size:  125.9 KB

Name:  G42_Kidneys_3.jpg
Views: 2743
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  G42_Kidneys_4.jpg
Views: 2657
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  G42_SideMirrors.jpg
Views: 3667
Size:  646.4 KB

Name:  G42_SideMirrors_2.jpg
Views: 3779
Size:  872.4 KB
JTO245246.50
02M3ForMe4255.50
      06-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #759
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

SOP in August. Shouldn't we see an announcement about the new model soon?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 09:03 PM   #760
CDN-Driver
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
SOP in August. Shouldn't we see an announcement about the new model soon?
FYi, in case you missed it. This Press release is the closest we have:

Official 2022 2-Series Coupe (G42) Preview, Specs and First Reviews https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1826338
      06-15-2021, 03:04 AM   #761
bmwloverm2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i 2022

If SoP is still August... I would expect an complete reveal (aka presentation) of the car soonish. Even a totally virtual presentation but i think it should be around the corner
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 06:16 AM   #762
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Harald Gottsche: consolidating the success of BMW Group San Luis Potosí Plant

In an exclusive interview with the President and CEO of BMW Group San Luis Potosí Plant , we got to know in depth the daily work of a leader who, with a great team of national talent, has successfully overcome all current challenges and is ready to launch the new BMW 2 Series Coupé later this summer.

Ricardo Vivero, General Director of Cluster Industrial and Adrián Martínez, editor of the medium, spoke exclusively with Harald Gottsche , who since December 1, 2020 is President and CEO of BMW Group San Luis Potosí Plant, the most modern plant of the group a global level, and that proudly produces the BMW 3 Series, and, as of this summer, the totally new BMW 2 Series Coupé, manufactured exclusively in our country and that deepens the consolidation of the sector in the state of Potosí and the entire Bajío region.

In order to know how he got here and to understand the work of Harald Gottsche at the head of the San Luis Potosí plant, we must know that this plant 'has a strong relationship with Munich, the leading plant of Series 3; After the launch, at the end of last year, I was asked if I would like to join BMW Group Planta San Luis Potosí as President and CEO. Of course, I immediately said yes. It is a dream come true!' he confessed with great joy.

Regarding his adaptation to the country, Gottsche shares with us that he already knew the people of the plant for 4 or 5 visits and that ' Mexicans make it very easy to adapt to the country, they are very open and friendly . I have found that the people in our team are super motivated, well trained, and there are people with a lot of experience as well. For me, that made it very easy. '

In addition, Harald declares himself a fan and explorer of Mexican culture; ' This country has so much to offer, only in states like San Luis Potosí, you have the Huasteca, the semi-desert, Real de Catorce, so on weekends I like to take my motorcycle and travel around here or go to San Miguel de Allende. There is so much to explore and see, it's very nice . ' Speaking of culture, BMW has supported the Free Music festival in San Luis Potosí, 'I had the opportunity to participate in a concert, although this year it was virtual, but I participated in the Centro de las Artes in San Luis Potosí; this is a great country to live and work . '

CHALLENGES AND PROUD IN FRONT OF A PREMIUM MANUFACTURER IN MEXICO

With a new plant and workforce, on a new continent, BMW focused on the San Luis Potosí plant in 2019, launching a car that had barely been in production for 3 months in Munich. 'I was then working in Munich and it was incredible for me to see how the team overcame all the challenges, because not only did they launch the plant on time (other plants at that time had to postpone their start of production), they also started complying with all the quality indicators, it was great. '

Arriving in Mexico in December 2020, one of Harald's first responsibilities was to celebrate the graduation of new apprentices and the first generation of the ProLead Meister program , 'similar to the German program, shop floor leaders participate. Seeing the high level of motivation, of experience of those people, having their graduations… For me it was very special. '

Then Harald lived the milestone of producing the plant's 100,000th car . 'It was a great moment for us, having already made 100,000 vehicles in this young plant and just yesterday (May 18) we announced that we will produce the new Series 2 Coupé, which will only be built in Mexico and that is, of course, a great success for us. '

Currently, the BMW Group leads the premium sector in Mexico . 'We are very proud of it because we have maintained that position even in the pandemic and with the changes in the market. We want to maintain that and increase our sales, 'says Gottsche. Regarding production, he comments that 'Mexico is a great place to build premium cars. There is a lot of tradition and the country is now the seventh largest producer in the world, with a great availability of suppliers and a highly motivated and trained workforce. That is an ideal basis for BMW's strategy and balancing production in our markets which are Asia, Europe and North America. '

On electrification in the automotive industry he reminds us that the 3 Series hybrid has already been produced since August 2020. 'Our system is very flexible, so we can basically switch overnight between internal combustion cars and hybrid or electric cars. That is very important because the market for plug-in hybrids and BHEV cars has increased rapidly in Europe and we have been part of it from this plant and will continue to do so. The entire automotive industry will change and BMW has announced that by 2030 it will produce more than 50% of its volume in battery electric cars and, of course, it is a change that will also be reflected in the Mexican industry, 'he says.

LABOR FORCE: KEY TO THE SUCCESS OF THE PLANT

'Currently, we employ 3,000 people at the plant and, counting the suppliers, we have generated 32,000 jobs in the state,' says Gottsche, adding that 'for special positions we are looking for experts with specific knowledge on a broader scale, not just in San Luis Potosi. So our workforce also comes from other areas of Mexico, in the Bajío region . '

In Mexico and San Luis Potosí, the BMW Group has trained talents in various programs and has given more managerial positions to local leaders . For example, since April 1, the Vice President of Ensemble is Mexican , when previously he was German. " Now, more than 50 percent of our circle of plant managers consists of Mexican talent , which I think is a very good trend that is only possible because we find many experienced leaders here."

For 6 years, before laying the first stone of the plant, BMW started with educational programs such as the dual program. So far they have trained 418 associates in production, mechatronics, industrial mechanics, among other areas . The dual program, in cooperation with local universities, lasts 3 years, is the basis of their referrals and they seek to continue that way. Each year they recruit about 70 new students to the program and this is one of their strengths.

"We also started the ProLead program to educate the process leader , which in Germany would be the Meister, whose position is central on the shop floor and has between 20 and 50 associates in charge." They started this program two years ago, in 2020 it had 30 participants, and during 2021 there are 10, with the aim of having a constant flow of new talent. It is a very demanding program, people work from Monday to Thursday at the plant and on Fridays and Saturdays they have specialized training at universities to develop leadership skills or learn English . '

In addition, they maintain programs with local universities where they offer professional internships; In the last year they have recruited many positions through these programs. They also have specialized knowledge acceleration programs related to automotive electronics , for example.

THE FUTURE OF BMW SAN LUIS POTOSÍ PLANT: THE 2 COUPÉ SERIES AND BEYOND

The plant's production system is very flexible and was designed from the beginning to be able to integrate other models 'that means we were able to integrate the 2 Series Coupé easily'. Regarding additional investment for the model, Harald confirms that " Yes there was new investment, especially regarding tooling and equipment, but in general we did not have to expand our production lines ." The Series 2 Coupé is fully integrated into existing production lines, assembly lines, bodies, and full vehicle testing. "The investment was not very large because the initial configuration of this plant was already designed to integrate future products."

Just when asking about future investments and developments, the leader comments that: 'If applicable, it would be communicated in due course , but of course there will be news . In production, we hope to be able to increase it in the next year , but this depends entirely on the development of the global market, if it continues to grow as it is now, we can expand our capacity in the course of the following year. '

The plant began production in April 2019 and has produced more than 100,000 units, of these, approximately 98,000 units were exported to more than 36 countries , including countries such as Australia and Japan. As for the production figures for this 2021, they do not have a specific figure, but "it will be above 140 thousand and below 200 thousand units ," according to Harald.

DRIVING AMONG SEMICONDUCTORS, PANDEMIC AND SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY

Semiconductor shortages are an industry-wide problem, but the BMW Group has been one of the few OEMs to successfully meet this challenge . Harald Gottsche proudly confesses: ' This plant hasn't stopped for a single day for semiconductors. Why is this so? First of all, the BMW Group never reduced orders during the pandemic . Most of the other OEMs reduced their orders and so the microchip vendors went to the consumer electronics industry and said 'you need chips, here they are'. People stayed home and wanted more video game consoles, smartphones, and so on.At BMW we didn't do that, we placed our orders on time, and that is why we are in a much better position. Our purchasing departments are in close contact with all our suppliers ; Logistics also works very hard on it, and yes, sometimes we have been close, but so far we have handled it very well.

The President and CEO details that this effort is based on A) a very long-term planning, B) a very close collaboration with suppliers and C) a very close collaboration of internal BMW departments such as purchasing, logistics and production . "We plan to continue like this and not have any production stoppages due to microchip suppliers."

On the energy and sustainability side, BMW's strategy on a global scale is to be a responsible partner. ' If you care about sustainability, you must be it economically and socially. Our global customers expect the cars to not only be fuel-efficient or hybrid and electric, they also expect them to be sustainably manufactured . And Mexico has a lot of energy to harness; look at the climate, the availability of sunlight is an excellent factor for the country. '

Speaking of the plant's consumption, 100% of its electricity has a 'green' origin. 'We have around 70 thousand solar panels at the plant and the rest of the energy is produced in a solar plant two hours from here. On the other hand, we use natural gas in our painting plant and we are currently looking for alternatives for this, such as biogas, which would lead us to be a truly neutral plant in CO2 emissions, which is our goal . '

During the pandemic, the BMW Group Planta San Luis Potosí did not fire anyone . They switched to remote work and after the production restart they took care that production was possible in a completely safe way. They doubled the number of buses for the workers to travel to the plant with safe distance, they gave all the necessary personal protective equipment not only to the associates but also to their families . They created secure and flexible offices, where 50 percent of the people could stay at home; These rules were extended to common areas where there are sanitary filters.

' We took all the measures and I am happy that we were considered a role model, for example, by the secretaries of economic development of the Bajío region . After the Christmas holidays we ran rapid tests for all plant employees, suppliers and contractors. We found some asymptomatic positive cases and successfully isolated them. Everything has been for having a safe work environment. We continue to have a daily monitoring of cases and the few that we have had have been external infections, 'he explains.

Regarding community support, " We donated protective equipment to the authorities of San Luis Potosí who later distributed them in hospitals and in August of last year we donated medicines for a hospital in Soledad.

On the subject of vaccination, Harald enthusiastically informs us that, four weeks ago they had the first vaccinated over 60 years old and currently several associates aged 50 or more are being vaccinated with an excellent organization of the authorities, 'this is great news, and we remain in contact with the local authorities, ready to support the vaccination process together with the authorities. '

Finally, Harald Gottsche kindly says goodbye to Cluster Industrial, extending an invitation: 'Thank you again for your time, and of course, you are invited to visit us at the plant to show you the Series 2 Coupé, it is a great product and you will know it soon, so I hope to see you at the plant soon.'
https://www.clusterindustrial.com.mx...an-luis-potosi

Name:  A17ANPG.jpg
Views: 2650
Size:  293.2 KB

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 06-15-2021 at 06:33 AM..
Appreciate 3
CCM11285364.00
Ftpohyeah283.00
02M3ForMe4255.50
      06-15-2021, 06:40 PM   #763
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Will the 2 series coupe be built in Mexico or Germany?
      06-15-2021, 06:43 PM   #764
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Will the 2 series coupe be built in Mexico or Germany?
Lol the last post before yours was literally all about the plant in Mexico and how they are ready to build the new 2 series coupe
Appreciate 7
JTO245246.50
MmmmmM22578.00
Vervain396.50
pz6193274.00
      06-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #765
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

What do you think if they used the Vision M Next Concept grill on new M3/M4/M2? To me this kind of grill is much better than any of the recent variations.

If someone has better Photoshop skills please go ahead and make a better edit.
Attached Images

06-23-2021, 11:20 AM   #766
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
Maybe the M240 won't have the M style mirrors, or it will be an option?

New spy shots from first post.

G42 2 Series Continues Testing

JTO245246.50
      06-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #767
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Still looking great to me. Hips for the M240i and not yet the M2 look great.
      06-23-2021, 12:41 PM   #768
blau.violett.rot
still n0ringZ
Germany
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive Tanzanite

Are the slats in the kidneys convex to the outside on both (M240 and propably 230)?

Last edited by blau.violett.rot; 06-23-2021 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 01:09 PM   #769
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ringZ View Post
Are the slats in the kidneys convex to the outside on both (M240 and propably 230)?
The slats certainly look different. Artemis had a good post on the last page with a closeup of the M240 grille.

Here is his post for reference: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=762

06-23-2021, 01:15 PM   #770
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I'm guessing those are just active grille shutters that are closed, and they would just twist inwards (or outwards? hard to tell with camo) to open up.
Appreciate 1
Frosty772.50
Closed Thread