BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

03-19-2023, 06:56 PM   #7569
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
We have 4 hours of overlap at the end of my shift; the shift before me has 2 hours of overlap at the end of their shift (…I start at 1400 hours and their shift ends at 1600 hours; they stop receiving calls as soon as we are logged on). My regular shift ends at midnight, but the early-morning/graveyard shift starts at 2000 hours (…at the very latest they are logged in by 2100 hours). I wouldn’t ever get a call even close to the end of shift (…barring something really crazy occurring). I definitely don’t get a call after 2200 hours.

This as well! Dispatchers will hold any routine call for the next shift, but priority or emergent calls will be dispatched. It’s how I handle calls when I dispatch as well.
whats a routine call? isn't everything relatively time sensitive?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 09:58 PM   #7570
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellk75rt View Post
I hope you mean "narrowly" missed, nearly missed is a whole 'nother situation. Gulp.
Quote:
Crickey, what kind of sonar shack did you run?
I was radar and then an Air traffic Controller when I got out. They still call them "near-misses" for some reason. The controller motto is it's a big sky and they hardly ever hit.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2023, 04:55 AM   #7571
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
That's an interesting question. I know that in Toronto with staffing levels being so low that they set up units called ARU, Alternate Response. They take reports over the phone for stuff like lost wallets, minor property damage, minor thefts etc. And most divisions will put out an ARU car who can attend calls that require an officer attend but aren't time sensitive. Book an appointment and the officer will attend to take a report.

Some B&E's wait for as much as 24-48 hours.

Having said that some busy nights the calls get so backed up that a sound of gunshots might wait an hour or more for a car to be available to attend. This isn't because of current staffing levels, that's been the case for decades. There sometimes are just too many calls for available staff. Other times you sit around with no calls to respond to. Catch up on reports or do some proactive policing. (hunting).
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Buug95916827.50
      03-20-2023, 09:56 AM   #7572
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
About the only call type I would consider routine - and by “routine” I mean usually a big nothing 95% of the time - are audible burglary alarms. Usually it’s just faulty wiring, sensors, etc. The other 5% of the time a legitimate crime has occurred.

Our policy states we have 60 minutes to respond to a routine call, 15 minutes to a priority call and about 3-5 minutes for an emergent call. During a heightened situation like what occurred last week, we stop responding to ALL routine calls and will only respond to priority and emergent calls.
Appreciate 3
T0RM3NT3544.50
Buug95916827.50
      03-20-2023, 11:21 AM   #7573
jbellk75rt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I was radar and then an Air traffic Controller when I got out. They still call them "near-misses" for some reason. The controller motto is it's a big sky and they hardly ever hit.

Oops, sorry, it's been well over 50 years since I was in and I thought your insignia was sonar, not radar. I went in as an ET and came out an SK due to a bit of color blindness (didn't affect my work but I couldn't pass the test.)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 09:44 PM   #7574
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oops, sorry, it's been well over 50 years since I was in and I thought your insignia was sonar, not radar. I went in as an ET and came out an SK due to a bit of color blindness (didn't affect my work but I couldn't pass the test.)
No worries! We squids are all the same! As an OS, I was also an Air intercept Controller. I figured that as hard as it was to get two airplanes together (cutoff angles and all that), keeping them apart would be gravy. Then I found out that the only difference is there were many, many more of them and they all wanted to go to the same place! So I spent my career packing 10# of airplanes into a 5# airport! It sure was fun, though! Talk about an adrenaline rush!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 03:45 PM   #7575
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
About the only call type I would consider routine - and by “routine” I mean usually a big nothing 95% of the time - are audible burglary alarms. Usually it’s just faulty wiring, sensors, etc. The other 5% of the time a legitimate crime has occurred.

Our policy states we have 60 minutes to respond to a routine call, 15 minutes to a priority call and about 3-5 minutes for an emergent call. During a heightened situation like what occurred last week, we stop responding to ALL routine calls and will only respond to priority and emergent calls.

gotcha, the cry wolf and alarms is so fucked on both sides. you have your pearl clutchers with sensitive ass alarms and then you guys slow down response time because of false alarms.

there should be some sort of ordinance on alarm installation and sensitives.

and thats coming from a major ordinance and government keep your nose out my shit "person"
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      03-22-2023, 06:55 PM   #7576
jbellk75rt
Private
Rep

Quote:
So I spent my career packing 10# of airplanes into a 5# airport! It sure was fun, though! Talk about an adrenaline rush!
Ahhhh, the ole blivet.

Difference between the services:
Given the order to secure a building.........
Marines--Attack it.
Army--Post guards, nobody in nobody out.
Air Force--Buy it.
Navy--Turn off the lights, lock the doors, go home.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2023, 10:33 PM   #7577
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahhhh, the ole blivet.

Difference between the services:
Given the order to secure a building.........
Marines--Attack it.
Army--Post guards, nobody in nobody out.
Air Force--Buy it.
Navy--Turn off the lights, lock the doors, go home.

One of my favorites...

The Army & Marines sleep under the stars...
The Navy navigates by the stars...
The (Ch)Air Force rates hotels by stars.

Last edited by ezaircon4jc; 03-23-2023 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-22-2023, 10:53 PM   #7578
T0RM3NT
Mr. Irrelevant
Rep
Drives: '23 G80M3CX Dravit/Silverstone

Quote:

One of my favorites...

The Army & Marines sleep under the stars...
The Navy navigates by the stars...
The (C)Air Force rates hotels by stars.
Bathrooms:

Army: Latrine

Navy: Head

Marines: Latrine, on land.. Head, deployed on a ship..

Air Force: Powder Room
      03-26-2023, 06:47 AM   #7579
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5

Glad to see that I'm not the only one with appreciation for squid life.
      03-26-2023, 08:59 AM   #7580
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardofors68 View Post
Glad to see that I'm not the only one with appreciation for squid life.
To me, a “squid” is someone who rides a sport bike without the proper gear (…e.g….full leather suit, boots, etc.). You may need to get me/us up to speed on your definition.
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2023, 12:00 PM   #7581
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

"Squid" A derisive term applied to a US Navy sailor by members of the other (and lesser) branches. We of course have our own loving and respectful terms for the other guys. Marines - "Jarhead". Army - "Grunt". Air Force - "Flyboy". Coast Guard - "Puddle Pirate". No one gets any respect - ever.
      03-26-2023, 04:32 PM   #7582
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
"Squid" A derisive term applied to a US Navy sailor by members of the other (and lesser) branches. We of course have our own loving and respectful terms for the other guys. Marines - "Jarhead". Army - "Grunt". Air Force - "Flyboy". Coast Guard - "Puddle Pirate". No one gets any respect - ever.
Don't forget Chair Force or 9-5 military.
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2023, 04:47 PM   #7583
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

I've heard Marines referred to a Crayon eaters.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 06:52 PM   #7584
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I've heard Marines referred to a Crayon eaters.
In the Navy it's 1500, in the Marines, Mickey's big hand is on the 12 and his little hand is on the 3.

An Army General, an Air Force General and an Admiral were at the "O" Club discussing the bravery of each of their men, trying to one-up each other. Finally, the AF General decided he was going to settle things and invited the other two to the local AF base the next day to demonstrate the bravery of his men. The next day, he grabbed a pilot, told him to climb to 30K', point the nose down and don't pull-up until he told him to. The pilot did as ordered, pointed the nose down and, as the General never told him to pull-up he augured-in. The General said that was guts! The Army General said that was nothing and invited the other two to his base the next day. He grabbed a soldier and told him to stand at attention on the parade ground and to not move until told. He then grabbed a tank commander and told him to run over the soldier. They both did as they were ordered and the soldier was flattened. The General arrogantly said that was GUTS! The Admiral started laughing his head off! He invited the other two to his base the next day to settle things. They all showed up at the local Naval Base the next day and the Admiral searched out the ship with the tallest mast. Once found he grabbed a sailor and told him to climb to the top, which the sailor dutifully did. Once at the top, the Admiral grabbed a megaphone and told the sailor to jump. The sailor yelled back "F YOU!" The Admiral said, now THAT'S GUTS!
Appreciate 5
      03-26-2023, 07:07 PM   #7585
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5

Quote:
To me, a “squid” is someone who rides a sport bike without the proper gear (…e.g…. full leather suit, boots, etc.). You may need to get me/us up to speed on your definition.
I do agree with you. Learned that as I started my sportbike initiation. I have the scars of my squidness too.
But to clarify; we were referred to as squids by other service's members. We also used to call each other squid as a funny put-down.
I was in the aviation community, so we'd call aircrew pickle suits, etc.
We'd call Marines, jarheads, devil-dogs,etc. Grunts were the front-line Marines.
Army guys don't remember since I didn't come across them too often.
Air Force guys; I don't remember losing any zapping challenges against them.
Zapping was something you do if you had another unit's bird in your flightline, carrier, etc. You would mark that airplane with your unit's decal, emblem, or message.

But all in all, I always had great rapport with all my service's brothers and sisters.
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      03-27-2023, 12:29 PM   #7586
jbellk75rt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
The best Marine is a submarine.. DBF
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 12:36 PM   #7587
jbellk75rt
Private
Rep

Quote:
I do agree with you. Learned that as I started my sportbike initiation. I have the scars of my squidness too.
But to clarify; we were referred to as squids by other service's members. We also used to call each other squid as a funny put-down.
We'd call Marines, jarheads, devil-dogs,etc. Grunts were the front-line Marines.
Zapping was something you do if you had another unit's bird in your flightline, carrier, etc. You would mark that airplane with your unit's decal, emblem, or message.

But all in all, I always had great rapport with all my service's brothers and sisters.
I was on a surface ship in the yard at Bremerton which also serviced Nuc boats. When we were finally leaving the yard after several weeks we were told by another ship there was a subs hull number painted on our hull. Capt. extremely pissed and deck crew suffered.
Appreciate 2
Buug95916827.50
      03-28-2023, 09:09 AM   #7588
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

When you say “squid” you have to make the swimming sign with your hand
      03-28-2023, 09:59 AM   #7589
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Quote:

We all did it. I can't speak for today though. It's a strange new military world out there, just like the rest of society. Grumble, Grumble.

I will tell you about the best tag I was ever involved in. In 1969 I was a member of VA-215 the "Barn Owls" flying A7B's off the USS Enterprise CVN-65 in Vietnam. One of the guys in our shop (ordnance) had a brother who was ships company, and a nuclear technician assigned to the reactor spaces. He would come up to our shop and hang out a lot, and became an honorary member of our motley crew. Great guy. I don't remember who it was that came up with the idea, but we decided to "tag" the reactors (there were 4 of them on the Enterprise) with our squadron emblem with "Nuc" being the perpetrator. He had access to all areas of the reactor spaces including inside of the reactors themselves. Yes, people regularly entered the reactors to inspect, maintain, and take readings. There was a large window in the entry door through which you could see most areas inside, the exception of course being the "Hot Box" containing the rods themselves.

Prior to implementation we ran this by our Weapons Officer who loved it, and then ran it by our Squadron Commander ("Frenchy" LeBlanc) who loved it even more. Nuc took 4 emblems and pasted one inside of each of the 4 reactors - with pictures of course. God I wish I still had that picture! Frenchy told us that he had a most enjoyable conversation with the Ships Captain. A gotcha moment much relished.
      03-28-2023, 02:39 PM   #7590
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Body cam footage from Nashville. Extremely well done by the responding officers.

Apparently at least one of them also plays rugby regularly to stay in shape, and it shows from that leg strength hauling ass up the stairs.

IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1