BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 steering wheel advice?

11-05-2015, 02:22 AM   #1
LukeS1994
Canada
Rep
Drives: F20 116i MSport 2013

F20 steering wheel advice?

Hi guys I'm new to this forum but I'm quite experienced coding with esys.

I have some questions I've got an f20 2013 msport with what I would call the old style MSport steering wheel.

I've ordered the new type with the airbag off eBay, the reason for this is my old f10 had the new type and there's more places to grip the wheel, also I wanted the speed limiting function bag it's literally a drivers license saver as cruise control without an brake detect function is pretty much useless with traffic in this country, and I've noticed that on this wheel it has cruise control and the limit button on the left hand side. Can this be coded on?

I would also like some reassurance on fitting the wheel there is a great YouTube video showing you how to do it. All I'm worried about is the airbag going off or the alarm when I disconnect the battery.

My questions are is the steering wheel plug and play?
Can I code the limiter button into esys so it works?
What is the safest way to disconnect the battery without disrupting any of the electronics or setting the alarm off etc?
What is the safest way of fitting the wheel dealing with the airbag?
Also how easy is it to swap the airbag from old to new as I might send this one back and get the one without airbag?

I'm sorry it's just I don't want an airbag to go off because I've been negligent.

Ive attached a photo of the wheel, it's coming sometime this week and I plan on doing this at the weekend then selling my old msport wheel with airbag on eBay if all well.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 03:13 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

IF you are worried about setting off the air bag... (so was I) I had my dealer install my M3 wheel in my 135i. They only charged me 20 euros to do it. Probably took them all of two minutes.

IF you do the install yourself... just make sure the battery is disconnected and you wait an hour before working on the car. Also make sure your body/hands do not have any static electricity. Touch the chassis before working on the airbag connections.

Good Luck,
Dack
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

You can wear a small static diverter, http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Anti-...dp/B004N8ZQKY/
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
LukeS1994
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF you are worried about setting off the air bag... (so was I) I had my dealer install my M3 wheel in my 135i. They only charged me 20 euros to do it. Probably took them all of two minutes.

IF you do the install yourself... just make sure the battery is disconnected and you wait an hour before working on the car. Also make sure your body/hands do not have any static electricity. Touch the chassis before working on the airbag connections.

Good Luck,
Dack
Sorry to say in England that would never happen, I wish it would but it would never happen. Health and Safety has gone mad and ruined this country. They would just say sorry we only fit parts that we source for example a steering wheel bought from them for £1000 lol.

It looks very simple and straight forward, surely there is a trigger sensor for the airbag not just a simple shock?

I'm just wondering now whether it will be plug and play and if the limiter will just work or ill need to code something and what to code ?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #5
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeS1994 View Post

It looks very simple and straight forward, surely there is a trigger sensor for the airbag not just a simple shock?
You are correct. Disconnect the battery and SRS deployment won't happen. Period.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 06:19 AM   #6
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeS1994 View Post
Hi guys I'm new to this forum but I'm quite experienced coding with esys.

I have some questions I've got an f20 2013 msport with what I would call the old style MSport steering wheel.

I've ordered the new type with the airbag off eBay, the reason for this is my old f10 had the new type and there's more places to grip the wheel, also I wanted the speed limiting function bag it's literally a drivers license saver as cruise control without an brake detect function is pretty much useless with traffic in this country, and I've noticed that on this wheel it has cruise control and the limit button on the left hand side. Can this be coded on?

I would also like some reassurance on fitting the wheel there is a great YouTube video showing you how to do it. All I'm worried about is the airbag going off or the alarm when I disconnect the battery.

My questions are is the steering wheel plug and play?
Can I code the limiter button into esys so it works?
What is the safest way to disconnect the battery without disrupting any of the electronics or setting the alarm off etc?
What is the safest way of fitting the wheel dealing with the airbag?
Also how easy is it to swap the airbag from old to new as I might send this one back and get the one without airbag?

I'm sorry it's just I don't want an airbag to go off because I've been negligent.

Ive attached a photo of the wheel, it's coming sometime this week and I plan on doing this at the weekend then selling my old msport wheel with airbag on eBay if all well.

Thanks
1. Disconnect the negative terminal first and you will be fine, you only have to reset the time and date once you reconnect it.
2. It is a different airbag, keep the steering wheel with the airbag
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
LukeS1994
Canada
Rep

Thanks all.

I'll fit the wheel Sunday and post the results. I hope the limiter button will just work plug and play as I doubt anybody will really know where the coding is for this. I can code if somebody told me what I need to code. But then this is a BMW and nothing plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 04:05 AM   #8
LukeS1994
Canada
Rep

I fitted the wheel it was easy if use the video how to fit f30 steering wheel a different way on youtube

I can't get the limiter button working though.

I coded the one code, as all the other parameters were set as activ and then I just get speed limiter failure. Its obvious that the speed limiter function is there otherwise it would come up with a failure, does anybody know what else has to be coded to get this working?

ICM > 3000 daten, F8 > C_SLD_Funktion > aktiv (Mine was set to this already)

ICM > 3000 daten, F8 > C_Umschaltung_ACC_DCC > zugelassen (I had to code this)

KOMBI->3003 FZG_Ausstattung, 10->SLD_ENABLE->aktiv (Mine was set to this already)

LDM_SET_Taste < this didn't exist on my car like everybody else's.

I tried coding all the above and I just get speed limit failure, whats weird is I only coded the one parameter and then I unset what I had done and I've still got speed limiter failure (this was after doing the obvious resetting the car disconnecting etc. I had to disable the SLD Funktion to get rid of the speed limiter failure warning weird as this was enabled before.

I really would like this speed limiter function on my car and its frustrating as I know its there somewhere or I wouldn't get an error.

Did anybody get any further with this and find out what else needs coding?
Appreciate 0