BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > Installing dynamic indicators WITHOUT removing the mirror glass.

12-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #1
Kanye
Rep
Drives: 2017 118i

Installing dynamic indicators WITHOUT removing the mirror glass.

I've seen countless youtube videos and facebook posts of people breaking their mirrors while trying to install or replace their indicators, and since replacing the mirror glass at the dealership in my country would cost me (including labor) around 450USD, finding an alternative way was a must.

Anyways, here's the guide:

First I reccomend watching a few youtube videos on how it's done just to get a better idea on the whole process.

Second, make sure you have / buy a T10 screwdriver that is thin and preferably has a magnetic tip. You can find them for dirt cheap on Aliexpress.

This is the one I used:

Next, you need to remove two screws, the middle bottom one and the outer one next to it.

I recommend starting with the outer one. To do that, center the mirror then tilt it fully to the inside (you may need to adjust it up and down a bit before tilting to the inside). Now use your phone's flashlight to locate the screw and unscrew it. Unscrew it till just before it falls out but dont let it fall out (It'll make life much easier later on). Take it easy when unscrewing as you don't want to strip the screw.

Here are a few pictures:

The next step is the middle screw. Center the mirror and raise it up as far as it'll go. Find the screw and uncscrew just like before.

Pictures:

With both the screws unscrewed you can easily move the outer bottom plastic trim of the mirror. Pull it out a bit and then replace the indicator and put everything back together. After you screw the screws back in use your flashlight and make sure they're fully in as they can feel fully in but in actuality there's still some more screwing to do.

And that's it, you're done. No stress, no struggles and no broken mirrors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #2
peppinelloxx
Rep
Drives: x1 f48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye View Post
I've seen countless youtube videos and facebook posts of people breaking their mirrors while trying to install or replace their indicators, and since replacing the mirror glass at the dealership in my country would cost me (including labor) around 450USD, finding an alternative way was a must.

Anyways, here's the guide:

First I reccomend watching a few youtube videos on how it's done just to get a better idea on the whole process.

Second, make sure you have / buy a T10 screwdriver that is thin and preferably has a magnetic tip. You can find them for dirt cheap on Aliexpress.

This is the one I used:

Next, you need to remove two screws, the middle bottom one and the outer one next to it.

I recommend starting with the outer one. To do that, center the mirror then tilt it fully to the inside (you may need to adjust it up and down a bit before tilting to the inside). Now use your phone's flashlight to locate the screw and unscrew it. Unscrew it till just before it falls out but dont let it fall out (It'll make life much easier later on). Take it easy when unscrewing as you don't want to strip the screw.

Here are a few pictures:

The next step is the middle screw. Center the mirror and raise it up as far as it'll go. Find the screw and uncscrew just like before.

Pictures:

With both the screws unscrewed you can easily move the outer bottom plastic trim of the mirror. Pull it out a bit and then replace the indicator and put everything back together. After you screw the screws back in use your flashlight and make sure they're fully in as they can feel fully in but in actuality there's still some more screwing to do.

And that's it, you're done. No stress, no struggles and no broken mirrors.
very good job
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 12:27 PM   #3
Algon
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Wish I had seen this post sooner. The mirror glass came out pretty easily but I slightly damaged the mirrors glossy trim underneath the glass when trying to get the glass out. Nice tutorial and would have never thought about this!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 12:24 PM   #4
Vino08
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series F20

Hahaha, I just read the post and my dynamic indicators arrived yesterday. You just saved me from possibly having to buy new mirrors. I hope the screws on my F20 (2013) are in the same position. If they are I will confirm and maybe post some photos too. Thank you again.

So good news and bad news.

Your method works and it's quite easy once you get the right position of the mirror. You can also remove/unclip the cover in the same way, by lowering the mirror down you can see the clips.

Bad news, I cracked a mirror . Basically, I went with the wrong angle on one of the screws and it was a little bit stuck, which ruined the screw and the screwdriver wasn't able to "grip" it, and the next size was too big. I tried to remove the mirror but ended up using the wrong side of the plastic thing and putting too much pressure on the corner of the mirror instead of pushing it from the centre. I also realized, too late, that if you remove the cover, you can actually push the mirror out, or even undo the clips. (too late for me now).

The second thing I want to mention, maybe it's just my model, but the indicators are only good from a front view, but rubbish or dangerous from the side or behind. I posted 2 photos to show the quality in the same daylight and what I mean from the side perspective. Before I could see the light from inside the car, but now unless I watch on the car dashboard or hear the click, I wouldn't know I'm signalling.

Last edited by Vino08; 04-04-2022 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: updating
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 09:17 PM   #5
Kanye
Rep
Drives: 2017 118i

I haven't seen anyone removing the mirror glass by pushing from the inside after the cover is removed. I'm sure that is very usefull.

Same goes for the cover trick you discovered. I actually broke one of the plastic clips that hold the cover in place but thankfully, it is still held in properly.

I beleive that no dynamic indicator goes all the way to the end. Personally, I can't ignore the sound of the indicator so I always know when I'm signalling.

They're visible from the side, and from the back, you can see the rear lights so shouldn't be a safety issue. In my opinion at least.
Appreciate 0