BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Texas trip

09-07-2019, 12:23 AM   #1
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Texas trip

I have a question for Houston/Galveston members. We'll be there the end of October and I wonder if any of you could recommend a place to stay in either city. Additionally, places/areas to avoid.

TIA!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 01:48 AM   #2
flgfish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91, 2015 911 C2

You're talking about an area larger than New Jersey. More specifics are needed. My office is in "Houston" and it's 80 miles to Galveston. If you're visiting family in Spring, for instance, you don't want to stay in Galveston.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 02:47 AM   #3
pablo219
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgfish View Post
You're talking about an area larger than New Jersey. More specifics are needed. My office is in "Houston" and it's 80 miles to Galveston. If you're visiting family in Spring, for instance, you don't want to stay in Galveston.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

We're visiting both cities. Family is in Arlington so we figured as long as we're making the trip we might as well see something else. My wife found some interesting things to do/see in the AAA book. We currently (can be changed) have reservations downtown Houston (Holiday Inn on Bell st) and the Hampton Inn in Galveston.

We did San Antonio a couple of years ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
flgfish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91, 2015 911 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
We're visiting both cities. Family is in Arlington so we figured as long as we're making the trip we might as well see something else. My wife found some interesting things to do/see in the AAA book. We currently (can be changed) have reservations downtown Houston (Holiday Inn on Bell st) and the Hampton Inn in Galveston.

We did San Antonio a couple of years ago.
If I had a day in Houston, I'd look at the Museum District & Hermann Park area. Lots of interesting culture in that area. The zoo and the Houston Museum of Natural Science are both great & right there. It's also not a long drive to NASA. Their static display of the Saturn V rocket is one of the most impressive things you'll see anywhere.

Houston has incredible food all over town. It's a diverse town of migrants, so you can pretty much find whatever your heart desires. I'm told we have the largest Vietnamese population outside of Vietnam, and the southwest part of town has the best Vietnamese food you'll find in the US, if that's your style.

Galveston is just, well, Galveston. You have the water, and you have the pier, and you have the touristy stuff. Kemah, not far from Galveston, is an attraction and fun for kids especially. The water has been blue instead of brown lately, so fingers crossed it stays that way a couple more weeks.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #6
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
I have a question for Houston/Galveston members. We'll be there the end of October and I wonder if any of you could recommend a place to stay in either city. Additionally, places/areas to avoid.

TIA!!!
Areas to avoid: Houston and Galveston.
Worthwhile: Austin
U welcome.
Appreciate 3
wdb4673.00
      09-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #7
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
U welcome.
Austin is honestly a seriously overrated city... it gets so much hype but its not really all that. 6th street and rainey are super ratchet and the feel of that city is a weird mix of wannabe hipster but in the end it still feels like a small city... by far and large, D town is the best place in TX.
Appreciate 2
P111541.50
wdb4673.00
      09-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #8
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Austin is honestly a seriously overrated city... it gets so much hype but its not really all that. 6th street and rainey are super ratchet and the feel of that city is a weird mix of wannabe hipster but in the end it still feels like a small city... by far and large, D town is the best place in TX.
Agreed. We visited Austin recently and while we generally had a good time this description is pretty accurate. I will say we were shocked by the number of homeless folks panhandling... and they were aggressive about it! Reminded me of San Francisco.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 06:01 PM   #9
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Austin isn't cool because of what there is to do urban wise in the city (other than food and some music) but more because of the nature and green spaces that are in and surrounding the city like swimming holes (Barton Springs, Hamilton Pool, Blue Hole, Deep Eddy, Jacob's Well, Barton Creek Greenbelt, etc).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Rainey is terrible and 6th Street is even worse. I'd never recommend either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Agreed. We visited Austin recently and while we generally had a good time this description is pretty accurate. I will say we were shocked by the number of homeless folks panhandling... and they were aggressive about it! Reminded me of San Francisco.
Austin is quickly turning into a shantytown. It's awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
Austin isn't cool because of what there is to do urban wise in the city (other than food and some music) but more because of the nature and green spaces that are in and surrounding the city like swimming holes (Barton Springs, Hamilton Pool, Blue Hole, Deep Eddy, Jacob's Well, Barton Creek Greenbelt, etc).
Some of those places aren't even in Austin. And to come to Austin just to see Barton Springs or the Greenbelt?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #11
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

For Houston checkout midtown and the heights for nightlife, the galleria for shopping, take the 50 min drive to Galveston for beach, and hit up yelp for some of the best foods places in the nation.

And lol Dallas is suburbia boring. Not saying Dallas is a bad city but Houston has way more charm and culture. Austin is cool but agree with the other poster a little overrated. Definitely hit up the nature around Austin because it gets overlooked.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #12
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
For Houston checkout midtown and the heights for nightlife, the galleria for shopping, take the 50 min drive to Galveston for beach, and hit up yelp for some of the best foods places in the nation.

And lol Dallas is suburbia boring. Not saying Dallas is a bad city but Houston has way more charm and culture. Austin is cool but agree with the other poster a little overrated. Definitely hit up the nature around Austin because it gets overlooked.
Had dinner at La Lucha this week. Probably some of the best fried chicken I have ever had.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #13
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys! I'm taking this all in! PLEASE keep the ideas coming!!

TIA!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #14
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post

I used to live in The Heights before I gtfo and left for Seattle. The Heights is great and Montrose is also very good for nightlife but hard pass on Midtown... just like the Washington Ave area it's very douchey. Reminds me of Austin 6th street, just far less busy.

And yeah I'd have to agree that Dallas is pretty lame compared to Houston. Full of the Thirty Thousandaires, Thirty-K Millies, whatever you want to call them pretending they are millionaires. Houston is far more diverse, and by far has the best food and variety of food in the state.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #15
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I haven’t been but I’ve heard of and would check out the International food scene in Houston. Netflix has David Chang’s “Ugly Delicious” with an episode in Houston. I’ve been to Dallas a few times for work and found good food but it really is Suburbia personified.
      09-08-2019, 10:41 PM   #16
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

If you've been to Florida or California's beautiful beaches then Galveston will feel lame in comparison. The town is small but has its charm, especially during the day when you can see the beautiful southern architecture. The $10 ticket to see the Ocean Star oil rig in Galveston is well worth it if you have any interest in science/engineering or want to see something cool. There are a couple nice hotels along the main beach, they are just a few minutes drive to the little downtown.

Houston is roughly 70 minutes from Galveston. Discovery Park area in downtown is neat but I walked the rest of downtown and there's really not much to do. Unlike other downtowns there's no central shopping district, you have to drive a little west to the Galleria which is pretty nice. There's some beautiful homes out there too. I can't comment on Houston's nightlife and dining since I was staying in Galveston. Houston is very visibly diverse, so I'm sure the dining scene is great.

Buffalo Bayou is not one of the beautiful waterfronts you see in other cities but is still worth checking out for a little bit. Rice Village is worth a visit for Torchy's Taco's, if you've been to Seattle it's like University Village but much smaller.

Honestly, Houston was the only American city I ran out of stuff to do, but I will surely return one day for the Johnson Space Center. The entire metropolis is too spread out and suburban.

Last edited by Germanauto; 09-08-2019 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #17
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Nightlife isn't really our thing; we've never been "clubbers" (well, if she gets out of line... ). We do like a good lunch or dinner out. My wife LOVES to tour old houses and "antique." I don't mind at all indulging her, even though to me all old houses are the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #18
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
U welcome.
And don't drive in.....Houston, Austin, or Dallas. Seriously bad traffic.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #19
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

In Galveston you can take several small boat tours out to see the dolphins. Moody Gardens is super cool too.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #20
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Stay at the OK Corral. Best whores in Texas i reckon.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #21
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Worse than SoCal???
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #22
akack79
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Worse than SoCal???
Nope, SoCal traffic far worse.