BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > New daily driver? Tesla or Audi

08-23-2015, 09:51 PM   #1
E94
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

New daily driver? Tesla or Audi

I recently ordered a new Audi A7 TDI, with about 6% off msrp. Total came out to around 75k. The delivery date is going to be sometime in early November.

But the 2016 Tesla 70D has caught my eye. After optioning it out it also came out to around 75k after the federal tax incentive.

I would usually put the 640i Gran coupe in the mix, but this time I am sadly leaving BMW out

Do they even offer any additional rebates, incentives, etc. on the Tesla? Can you negotiate as you would a normal car?

What do you think? What would you do?

I am kind of clueless when it comes to these 2 brands.

This is almost identical to the A7 I ordered

And since they do not offer the Tesla in a grey that I like, I would most likely get white.

Last edited by E94; 10-28-2015 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Don't know much about either but looks the tesla wins on exterior and the audi on interior. Personally would prefer the diesel engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Parents went through a similar dilemma last year, ended up going with an S6 and they love it. They were also worried about resale with advances in battery technology over the time they would own the car (they were considering just purchasing straight out at this juncture) and that dissuaded them.

I would personally go Audi, but that's just me.

Both great cars though!

-Ben
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 12:48 AM   #4
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E94 View Post
I recently ordered a new Audi A7 TDI, with about 6% off msrp. Total came out to around 75k. The delivery date is going to be sometime in early November.

But the 2016 Tesla 70D has caught my eye. After optioning it out it also came out to around 75k after the federal tax incentive.

I would usually put the 640i Gran coupe in the mix, but this time I am sadly leaving BMW out

Do they even offer any additional rebates, incentives, etc. on the Tesla? Can you negotiate as you would a normal car?

What do you think? What would you do?

I am kind of clueless when it comes to these 2 brands.

This is almost identical to the A7 I ordered

And since they do not offer the Tesla in a grey that I like, I would most likely get white.

That screen... Jesus christ I love it

No I don't think Tesla does any incentives.

An why you leaving BMW out?

Also if your wanting something EV, why don't you wait and see what the upcoming Audi Q6 E-tron or Bmw I5... also Porsche is rumored to be launching something EV... The 2015/2016 Auto Show circuit is just around the corner and within 4 months lots of big shows with Frankfort just around the corner next month. Especially if the Audi won't arrive till Nov/Dec and you might be able to get a better deal near year end.. An what's a few months to wait out Frankfort, LA and Detroit Auto Show and Chicago.

Also the Tesla SUV should be completely announced

IDK

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 08-24-2015 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 05:15 AM   #5
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben14142001 View Post
They were also worried about resale with advances in battery technology over the time they would own the car (they were considering just purchasing straight out at this juncture) and that dissuaded them.
They should have done some research instead of guessing...the Tesla's are holding their value much better than expected. The cheapest one on Autotrader in the nation is $53k, and that's a '13 P60 with 50k on the clock.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
They should have done some research instead of guessing...the Tesla's are holding their value much better than expected. The cheapest one on Autotrader in the nation is $53k, and that's a '13 P60 with 50k on the clock.
Um enough time hasn't gone by yet. My clock didn't stop.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #7
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Coworker of mine bought a white 70D.

Beautiful car, he loves everything about it. He has already driven from NY to florida and back. NY to montreal and back... Put about 10k miles on the car and he bought it in May.

His only regret is not buying the 85D. He says the extra 30 miles of range is a great safety net when doing long distance drives since you need to stop at the supercharger stations.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
E94
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Don't know much about either but looks the tesla wins on exterior and the audi on interior. Personally would prefer the diesel engine.
I agree, but the Tesla's interior is what caught my eye originally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben14142001 View Post
Parents went through a similar dilemma last year, ended up going with an S6 and they love it. They were also worried about resale with advances in battery technology over the time they would own the car (they were considering just purchasing straight out at this juncture) and that dissuaded them.

I would personally go Audi, but that's just me.

Both great cars though!

-Ben
I would love an S7.... Not practical enough for me though

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
No I don't think Tesla does any incentives.

An why you leaving BMW out?

Also if your wanting something EV, why don't you wait and see what the upcoming Audi Q6 E-tron or Bmw I5... also Porsche is rumored to be launching something EV... The 2015/2016 Auto Show circuit is just around the corner and within 4 months lots of big shows with Frankfort just around the corner next month. Especially if the Audi won't arrive till Nov/Dec and you might be able to get a better deal near year end.. An what's a few months to wait out Frankfort, LA and Detroit Auto Show and Chicago.

Also the Tesla SUV should be completely announced

IDK
Thats funny, I actually just discovered the they had an i5 in the works. Estimated arrival sometime late this decade. Maybe I should get the audi for now and get the i5 when it comes out!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Coworker of mine bought a white 70D.

Beautiful car, he loves everything about it. He has already driven from NY to florida and back. NY to montreal and back... Put about 10k miles on the car and he bought it in May.

His only regret is not buying the 85D. He says the extra 30 miles of range is a great safety net when doing long distance drives since you need to stop at the supercharger stations.

This makes me feel better about the range of the 70d and the various supercharger stations across the country.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This makes me feel better about the range of the 70d and the various supercharger stations across the country.
I figured it would. A lotof people are worried about it but you can go pretty much anywhere, just takes a little more thought process when it comes to planning your route. Like I said, his only advice to someone would be to opt for the 85D because of the extra 30 miles of range. It just adds that extra safety net in case some goes really wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #10
E94
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I figured it would. A lotof people are worried about it but you can go pretty much anywhere, just takes a little more thought process when it comes to planning your route. Like I said, his only advice to someone would be to opt for the 85D because of the extra 30 miles of range. It just adds that extra safety net in case some goes really wrong.
Another thing I am concerned with is the life of the battery over the years. If the 70D has an initial range or 240 miles, who is to say that after 3 years it will only be 190 miles?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #11
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Tesla!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
hgtran21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

id get the Audi. I went to the tesla dealership and the quality of the seats, door panels, dash its mediocre. The big ipad looking screen is super cool. Audi a7 is a super nice car. plenty of power and decent gas mileage. If you plan on selling the car within a couple of years then i think that the tesla will hold more value than the audi.

my .02
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #13
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

My opinion is as good as the next guys, but I would get the Tesla if I had the means. P85D
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #14
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I would only buy the Tesla I rarely or never planned to drive it to cities out of my area (cities more than 100 miles away would be too much).

Cincinnati to Cleveland is 250 miles. Should be easy 4 hours up, 4 hours back. Instead plan to stop in Columbus, drive to some out of the way Supercharger, sit for 30 minutes, drive to Cleveland, drive to some out of the way Supercharger, sit for 30 minutes, on way home, repeat in Columbus. My 8 hour drive just took 9 1/2 hours even if the Supercharger was conveniently located which is close to zero chance. You can plan to make the stop at lunch but then you need to start at the time you want and still deal with what is available at the Supercharger.

As a second car where I can swap with my wife I think it would be fine.
      08-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #15
E94
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgtran21 View Post
id get the Audi. I went to the tesla dealership and the quality of the seats, door panels, dash its mediocre. The big ipad looking screen is super cool. Audi a7 is a super nice car. plenty of power and decent gas mileage. If you plan on selling the car within a couple of years then i think that the tesla will hold more value than the audi.

my .02
I have yet to sit in a tesla, but from pictures it looks top notch. And you are right about the resale value. Although I bet the value would take a huge hit if tesla was to release something significantly cheaper or with a better range in the next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I would only buy the Tesla I rarely or never planned to drive it to cities out of my area (cities more than 100 miles away would be too much).

Cincinnati to Cleveland is 250 miles. Should be easy 4 hours up, 4 hours back. Instead plan to stop in Columbus, drive to some out of the way Supercharger, sit for 30 minutes, drive to Cleveland, drive to some out of the way Supercharger, sit for 30 minutes, on way home, repeat in Columbus. My 8 hour drive just took 9 1/2 hours even if the Supercharger was conveniently located which is close to zero chance. You can plan to make the stop at lunch but then you need to start at the time you want and still deal with what is available at the Supercharger.

As a second car where I can swap with my wife I think it would be fine.
true
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #16
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Simple...would range anxiety bother you at all? Make your decision based on that answer.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #17
E94
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
Simple...would range anxiety bother you at all? Make your decision based on that answer.
It does play a large factor, but it certainly does not break the deal. If I regularly drove 100+ miles per day then I would without a doubt buy the Audi, but thats not the case.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #18
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

I would say Tesla, you have owned ICE vehicles all your life, why not try something new. I'm pretty sure it will beat BMW or Audi in terms of reliability and maybe less maintenance cost?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #19
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Ditto but start off at $115,000 (no fed tax credit in TX!) for a P85D and add all the options just to have the same interior luxury and amenities and you'r at $133,000 to $143,000 (ludicrous option) etc.!!! All their gas saving/using Tesla free chargers and KW per hr estimates to evaluate supposed savings over 5 years over gasoline are way off in current economics and resale after 5 yrs of ownership would surely hit the cost of having to replace battery packs by 10 years min. (especially if located up north). A long way from ready yet for me - have no doubt I'll be driving some sort of hybrid or electric most probably in my next car decided firmly against it this time round. I'd go with the Audi but only if I really had to!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
My opinion is as good as the next guys, but I would get the Tesla if I had the means. P85D
      08-24-2015, 09:22 PM   #20
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Tesla just for the sake of trying something different that's not a prius or I3.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #21
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another thing I am concerned with is the life of the battery over the years. If the 70D has an initial range or 240 miles, who is to say that after 3 years it will only be 190 miles?
The batteries are good for approximately 500 fully cycle charges. So it doesn't matter if it takes three charges to return to 100%, its still considered one cycle.

Multiply that over the range of 240 miles and you get approximately 120000 miles before the performance starts to seriously degrade. At which point you can decide if you want to keep the car or replace the batteries. Replacing the batteries will be pricey but remember, there are no other wear items to worry about that a normal powertrain / drivetrain has. Its simply suspension, electric motors and a shaft from the motor to each wheel. That's all.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #22
E94
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The batteries are good for approximately 500 fully cycle charges. So it doesn't matter if it takes three charges to return to 100%, its still considered one cycle.

Multiply that over the range of 240 miles and you get approximately 120000 miles before the performance starts to seriously degrade. At which point you can decide if you want to keep the car or replace the batteries. Replacing the batteries will be pricey but remember, there are no other wear items to worry about that a normal powertrain / drivetrain has. Its simply suspension, electric motors and a shaft from the motor to each wheel. That's all.
Thank you for this information!

Why use google when I can just ask you guys lol
Appreciate 0