BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW getting rid of the quirks?

10-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
acrspeed
Hitting Vanos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i, M5

Unhappy BMW getting rid of the quirks?

My colleague recently bought herself a 2016 BMW X4, and I noticed that some of the quirks that differentiate BMW from most of the other cars I have driven are getting changed. For example, the door locks are now present next to the door handles, instead of the centre console. I view this slight change as a "sellout" move. The FWD based X1 seems to exemplify this. It has dual exhausts with one on each side of the car, changed from both pipes coming out from the same side. Does anyone else share my view?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrspeed View Post
My colleague recently bought herself a 2016 BMW X4, and I noticed that some of the quirks that differentiate BMW from most of the other cars I have driven are getting changed. For example, the door locks are now present next to the door handles, instead of the centre console. I view this slight change as a "sellout" move. The FWD based X1 seems to exemplify this. It has dual exhausts with one on each side of the car, changed from both pipes coming out from the same side. Does anyone else share my view?
Is the X4 made in South Carolina ? Could it be due to suppliers they do the door switches on the door?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

2 series still has door lock/unlock on center console
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
acrspeed
Hitting Vanos
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Is the X4 made in South Carolina ? Could it be due to suppliers they do the door switches on the door?
Afaik, the X vehicles are made in SC. I think that the X5 had its lock/unlock on the centre console.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
acrspeed
Hitting Vanos
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Afaik, the X vehicles are made in SC. I think that this change happened recently, because her previous X3 of the same generation had its lock/unlock on the centre console. It shouldn't be an issue with suppliers, and technically, there should be a cost disadvantage with the new switches, because there is more wiring and more parts involved.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 11:09 PM   #6
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

If you talking quirks:
lock/unlock in center
double pull on handle to get out
That blue and red temp. wheel thing in the middle of the dash
The orange interior lights look dated
I have a 09 335i but I think this is across the line