BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M135i 2013 - Brakes coming on every 30 secs in WET!

02-23-2017, 04:08 AM   #1
jonfon26mk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d touring

M135i 2013 - Brakes coming on every 30 secs in WET!

Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2013 M135i with 14k miles on the clock. I absolutely love the car so far! However...

When it rains, the car decides to apply the brakes roughly every 30 seconds on its own. I wondered if this was just the brake drying feature they have, but from what I have read, that feature is supposed to be "un-noticeable" Mine is DEFINITELY noticeable and slows the car by over 5mph when on cruise control. Very frustrating when trying to regulate speed on the motorway! The brakes appear to bite for about 1-2 seconds at a time and during this time, the throttle is pointless.

The problem occurs with or without cruise control activated and happens in any of the driving modes (Eco/Comfort/sport). It even happens with the auto wipers turned off!

As soon as it's dry though, it's 100% fine.

Doe anyone know what this could be? I'm scared that it's something dangerous that is suddenly going to lock the brakes in the fast lane of a motorway, or something that's going to be un affordable to fix, like the hydro unit!

Any suggestions would be more than welcome!

Thanks,
Jonathan
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 04:21 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

It is not noticeable on our F20, but I think the car does the braking. Sounds like yours is braking too hard for some reason. It should not be like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:01 AM   #3
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfon26mk View Post
Doe anyone know what this could be?
Do you have custom super-strong brakes effective beyond imagination of the brake drying feature designers?

Quote:
something that's going to be un affordable to fix, like the hydro unit!
Brake pads and discs premature wear off.

Quote:
during this time, the throttle is pointless.
All the engine power must be going to braking: stopping the Earth rotating shouldn't be easy after all.

Quote:
Any suggestions
Have it checked and fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
jonfon26mk
Enlisted Member
Rep

No I just have standard brake discs and pads and they look like they are only a 3rd of the way through their life too.

Just rang BMW themselves and they haven't heard of a "brake drying" feature - not very confidence inspiring if they haven't even heard of a feature that exists on their cars. This feature is a thing , right??
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Just rang BMW themselves and they haven't heard of a "brake drying" feature - not very confidence inspiring if they haven't even heard of a feature that exists on their cars. This feature is a thing , right??
It is mentioned in the manual, page 38.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20_01_2012.pdf
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
They don't seem to watch their videos then. I recall I learned about this feature on F20 from a video but I can't find it now. A weak(?) proof is here but the "standard equipment" mark refers to DSC of course, brake drying is only available with the rain sensor (optional back then, page 56 of the brochure referenced - ovekvam has provided the link already ).
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
Weiman
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
It is mentioned in the manual, page 38.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20_01_2012.pdf
That's funny because it's not mentioned in the owner's handbook. In fact, it says
Quote:
In damp weather or heavy rain, apply the brakes lightly every few kilometres/miles.
The resulting heat dries the brake disks and pads.
Can't say I have ever noticed it on my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

This is what it says in the manual:

Dynamic Stability Control, DSC.
incl. Cornering Brake Control
(CBC), Hill-Start Assistant, Brake Assist, Dry Braking function and brake
readiness
. DSC is able to detect any slight skidding and stabilise the car
within fractions of a second. The traction mode sub-function (DTC) allows
increased wheel slip to optimise acceleration in certain driving conditions
and to enable more dynamic driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #9
Weiman
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

That's a brochure, not a manual

Brake drying is apparently codeable so maybe it varies between countries and/or car spec.

Code:
Enable dry braking
DSC 3000 C_Funktion_Trockenbremsen_aktiv_I
Will have to dig out the old ESYS and check what mine says.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #10
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

I have the rain sensor also. Never noticed anyting. VIN: J39619
      02-24-2017, 01:47 AM   #11
jonfon26mk
Enlisted Member
Rep

My issue may not even be related to this feature, but it does seem to point towards that as it only happens in the wet and happens at equal intervals.

As always though, the only way to find out is to be truly bent over by the dealer whilst they carry out various diagnostics :/
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
My issue may not even be related to this feature, but it does seem to point towards that as it only happens in the wet and happens at equal intervals.

As always though, the only way to find out is to be truly bent over by the dealer whilst they carry out various diagnostics :/
I'd, in a safe situation, switch off the wipers and see if it reverts to normal dry function. If so, does look like a malfunction of the brake drying feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 05:17 AM   #13
MG M135i
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 M135 5 Door

Garage List
2013 BMW M135i  [0.00]
Wow, someone else has the same problem as mine, same model and year, AUS build. Car would drop 10kph, didn't matter if cruise was on or not. Applying power wouldn't 'snap it out of it'

Dealers couldn't fault the damn thing when I left it with them. They had it for days. It's at it's worst when it's heavy rain, light rain not so much of an issue. Took service guys for a drive also, they couldn't feel anything but it wouldn't repeat / rain enough. Sports displays did show fluctuations.

I also had very noisy breaks, particularly on release from a stop and they didn't feel like they released until I applied power. They did replace my front pads and that appeared to improve the problem, but not a total fix.

I've not driven in a strong rain recently (summer here) so can't tell if it's still an issue. Time will tell.
      02-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #14
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
happens in any of the driving modes (Eco/Comfort/sport)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG M135i View Post
Applying power wouldn't 'snap it out of it'
Power must be stolen by DSC (it should flash the indicator though ). Try full "DSC OFF" , then, if it helps, mild: "Sport+" or DTC.

If it were any speed control intervention (cruise control or speed limiter) flooring accelerator pedal must work, but rain connection dismisses this option quite clearly.

Quote:
It even happens with the auto wipers turned off!
Brake drying works (reportedly: I don't have any ) from the rain sensor. Disabling (covering, disconnecting could be the way ) the rain sensor should make the issue permanent, though: http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1248212 .

Last edited by No one; 02-27-2017 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Some clarification.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #15
pault949
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 F25 "Helga"

My 2014 X3 is having the same issues with braking in the rain.

Has anyone found a resolution to this issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #16
pault949
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 F25 "Helga"

Alright, for future reference... After doing quite a bit of digging on threads and talking to others on different forums, it seems that this issue stems from moisture in the brake reservoir which causes issues with a very expensive part called the DSC hydro unit. This effects the disc wiping functionality which is enabled when auto wipers are engaged.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 09:40 PM   #17
mamat_mooza
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 118

Ok i faced the same problem. Mine is a 118 f20.

So we ran live diagnostic while driving to monitor any irregularities.

We finally saw weird wheel speed sensor reading. At normal, it shows all four wheel speed similar to speedo. However when the "brake" happens, we saw all 4 wheel speed sensor became "unsupported". There were no error codes.

Im sending my car to the dealership tomorrow and hopeful they'll fix it (and find some rain)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:05 PM   #18
Morten dk
Registered
Denmark
Rep
Drives: Bmw f20 118d

The brake in the wet can be adjusted to hard, mid and low. The Bmw dealer can do this for you. It needs to be coded. I work at Bmw as a technician and have done this manny times. It's not at fault or a defekt.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #19
mamat_mooza
Registered
Rep

Hi Morten dk, thank you for the insight.

I just retrieved the car from the dealership yesterdat, they charged me $60 for software update.

However the problem persist.

Hence would you point where to do the setting /code , and i'll send it to an indie shop to code it.

Appreciate it,

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:32 AM   #20
mamat_mooza
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten dk View Post
The brake in the wet can be adjusted to hard, mid and low. The Bmw dealer can do this for you. It needs to be coded. I work at Bmw as a technician and have done this manny times. It's not at fault or a defekt.
Ok so i drove the car at dry conditions and turned on the wiper. Then i was able to recreate the problem.

Would you know the way to set the intensity of the dry brake?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #21
mamat_mooza
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten dk View Post
Ok so i drove the car at dry conditions and turned on the wiper. Then i was able to recreate the problem.

Would you know the way to set the intensity of the brake drying
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:47 AM   #22
Quent68
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F21

Brakes drying problem : my car brakes on its own ...

Hi everybody !

I am happy to hear about people with the exact same problem as me ! I just bought a BMW F21 114d with 115000 km and I have exactly the same problem as you. My car brakes on its own regularly when my wipers are on. I also did different tests with/without wipers activated and everything is fine when wipers are OFF. It is definitely something to do with the brakes drying system. I also noticed that when I increase the wipers'speed, the braking phase is more violent and lasts for a longer time. I went to BMW but we are still looking for a solution for now. Did you manage to find a solution finally? How could we modify the intensity of this system or deactivate it ?
Thanks,

Quentin

Last edited by Quent68; 05-21-2019 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0